Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Concept X

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 07:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Definitely see a lot of inspiration from original BMW 8series - one of the most beautiful coupe designs.

Hoping Genesis releases this car as a flagship with a V8 option.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-04-21 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 07:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Hoping Genesis releases this car as a flagship with a V8 option.
I would be very surprised if Hyundai/Kia/Genesis or any non-American OEM ever make a new V8 again when every other company out there has ceased development barring hybrids of existing V8 powerplants in favor of electrification.
Old 04-04-21, 07:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
I would be very surprised if Hyundai/Kia/Genesis or any non-American OEM ever make a new V8 again when every other company out there has ceased development barring hybrids of existing V8 powerplants in favor of electrification.
Well BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus all have V8s - if that is what Genesis is going after then they need to bring it also. V8s are not going anywhere for next 5-10years.

Bentley still has V12 in their Conti GT even.
Old 04-04-21, 08:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Well BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus all have V8s - if that is what Genesis is going after then they need to bring it also. V8s are not going anywhere for next 5-10years.

Judging from the electric G80/GV70 being tested, it would appear that Genesis is sweeping aside V8's in favor of pure EV's with the power of the Kia EV6 GT. Either way, I can't see them investing the time and money into a new V8 at this point that will only be used for less than a decade before V8's become outlawed by global emissions.
Old 04-05-21, 04:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Genesis has a V8 too. But doubt Hyundai will develop a new one
Old 04-05-21, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Genesis has a V8 too. But doubt Hyundai will develop a new one
No point given the new regulations that are driving ICE out. I don't think any V8 that Hyundai has ever produced has been as powerful as their new EV6, 577hp EV motor. Seems Hyundai/Kia is electrifying very quickly.
Old 04-05-21, 08:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
No point given the new regulations that are driving ICE out. I don't think any V8 that Hyundai has ever produced has been as powerful as their new EV6, 577hp EV motor. Seems Hyundai/Kia is electrifying very quickly.
EVs don’t sell period and we covered at nauseam all the compromises that ppl need to deal with.

Maybe Genesis can do V8 hybrid approach like AMG will be putting in their cars.

Hyundai is a huge company and can offset the low volume V8 coupe for emissions purposes just like Toyota/Lexus with LC500.
Old 04-05-21, 08:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

EVs don’t sell period and we covered at nauseam all the compromises that ppl need to deal with.

Hyundai is a huge company and can offset the low volume V8 coupe for emissions purposes just like Toyota/Lexus with LC500.
EVs have been growing around a 50% CAGR and are being driven out by regulation in the future. Korean government is already contemplating banning ICE and if Hyundai drives the initiative in its home country, they will regulate ICE to death there so I doubt they will produce V8s. AMG is already planning the death of its V8 by introducing a hybrid 4 cylinder for the next AMG C63. The current V8 will by hybridized but they've already announced most of their powertrain development is going toward BEV.

https://interestingengineering.com/d...ustion-engines

The V8 is is now in retirement just waiting for death.

Old 04-05-21, 11:16 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

The V8 AMG hybrids use existing V8 engines as a base. Genesis doesn't have any competitive V8 engines to hybridize, and the ancient 5.0 Tau in the G90 won't cut it since even that engine gets gunned down by their older 3.3TT V6.

I'm also not sure if Hyundai's emissions can apply to Genesis since they are technically registered as different companies. I suspect that's part of the reason why they still keep the G70 with the 2.0T here in the U.S. instead of switching to the 2.5T like the Stinger. Lexus already has a bunch of hybrids within its own brand to offset the couple V8's they have.
Old 04-05-21, 11:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Judging from the electric G80/GV70 being tested, it would appear that Genesis is sweeping aside V8's in favor of pure EV's with the power of the Kia EV6 GT. Either way, I can't see them investing the time and money into a new V8 at this point that will only be used for less than a decade before V8's become outlawed by global emissions.
I don't see V8's being outlawed by "global emissions". There are enough cars that use them now and into the future and they are liked by so many, outlawing V8's won't make any difference in emissions and is just over reaching, overbearing nanny state control. If they want to play in the larger lux coupe game they have to offer a V8, 4 or 6 cylinder won't garner much interest or headlines. They could drop the 420hp V8 they already have in this coupe, further develop it for more power, or design a newer version with more power.

Their mid size CUV doesn't need a V8, it is mainly competing with 6 cylinder CUV's. Their CUV not getting a V8 does not mean anything.
Old 04-05-21, 11:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
EVs have been growing around a 50% CAGR and are being driven out by regulation in the future. Korean government is already contemplating banning ICE and if Hyundai drives the initiative in its home country, they will regulate ICE to death there so I doubt they will produce V8s. AMG is already planning the death of its V8 by introducing a hybrid 4 cylinder for the next AMG C63. The current V8 will by hybridized but they've already announced most of their powertrain development is going toward BEV.

https://interestingengineering.com/d...ustion-engines

No it isn't. That is a exaggeration. As long as V8's sell in certain cars they are going to stay, as long as automakers don't price the V8's too high they will sell to people who want and appreciate them.
Old 04-05-21, 12:24 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't see V8's being outlawed by "global emissions". There are enough cars that use them now and into the future and they are liked by so many, outlawing V8's won't make any difference in emissions and is just over reaching, overbearing nanny state control. If they want to play in the larger lux coupe game they have to offer a V8, 4 or 6 cylinder won't garner much interest or headlines.
They'll be outlawing them on new vehicles. They're not going to confiscate V8s already on the road.

We can deny it all we want, but when most countries have unanimously agreed to enact electrification as law by 2030, then enthusiasts can't do anything about it. Most luxury buyers won't really care as long as it's fast like a V8 and doesn't give them range anxiety.
Old 04-05-21, 12:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t disagree with your assessment - I’m merely saying that this car will not sell without a V8 period just look at LC500hybrid, LS500, i8 etc. Consumers for these type of cars want sound, power, and big engines.

New AMG-GT and new SL will have V8s.
8series has V8.
LC500 has V8.

Now if this Genesis coupe is a 4series competitor than definitely a V8 is not needed. But it looks like they want to make it Halo car for the brand.

Genesis is under Hyundai umbrella just like Lexus is under Toyota umbrella. They roll up to the parent company.
Old 04-05-21, 12:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

They'll be outlawing them on new vehicles. They're not going to confiscate V8s already on the road.

We can deny it all we want, but when most countries have unanimously agreed to enact electrification as law by 2030, then enthusiasts can't do anything about it. Most luxury buyers won't really care as long as it's fast like a V8 and doesn't give them range anxiety.
You are making proclamations without any facts. Do you know that pickup trucks are #1 selling vehicles in US. Most of them are V8 powered therefore banning V8 in US is not plausible in near future.
Old 04-05-21, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
i agree with that, which is one reason i got the lc500 as a keeper, and i think one reason it's actually selling pretty well for a 6 figure car, and the convertible seems to have tripled sales!

ford was innovative with ecoboost in trucks in particular, and has squashed v8 sales a lot although they're still available for now. v8 diesels likely aren't going away for BIG trucks for a while because of their huge towing capabilities, reliability, and relatively good range. no EV today has any chance of competing.

i doubt 'outlawed' but probably regulated/taxed to death.

Most luxury buyers won't really care as long as it's fast like a V8 and doesn't give them range anxiety.
depends on the vehicle type. loads of luxury buyers aren't just looking for a 'silent rocket', they actually like the engine sounds on acceleration.

my favorite lc500 video is by a very analytical guy who realized in the end it's not about numbers...

Quick Reply: Genesis Concept X