Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz (full reveal April 15th)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 08:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this going to tackle the pickup truck segment and take it by storm? No. But not everything has to. Just like not every EV has to be a "tesla killer"

Gives Hyundai dealers another off-road/lifestyle vehicle that the market definitely seems to be looking for.

Old 04-15-21, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz revealed

It has been six years since Hyundai first showed us its concept pickup truck, the small and sporty Santa Cruz. And now it's finally here. It's not quite the fat-fendered machine we saw back then, but it's no slouch either. There is clear Tucson influence in the big grille with hidden headlights and general size and cabin shape, but details have been squared off and chunk-ified, from the fender cladding to the bumpers. It also still gets the sloping rear pillar of its concept forebear.

It's also still small. Compared to trucks such as the
Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma, it's between 10 and 17 inches shorter in length, and overall height is 3 to 4 inches lower. It splits the difference between the two in width. This should make it more maneuverable around town, though the small size means a comparatively small bed. At its longest, the bed is 4.3 feet. And that brings up the other odd fact that the edge of the bed by the cab isn't a flat vertical slab. It goes inward at the bottom, giving that 4.3-foot number. At the top of the bed, the length is four feet.The Santa Cruz makes up for the small bed with some handy storage features. It has an in-floor trunk like the Honda Ridgeline, though Hyundai hasn't said exactly how big it is. The bed also features an available built-in roll-top tonneau cover, which expands the covered, locked cargo capacity substantially. As for how much you can carry, the Santa Cruz has a payload capacity of 1,300 pounds. The standard naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine will let you pull 3,500 pounds of trailer, too, and the turbo version has a tow rating of 5,000 pounds.

Yes, there are two engine options for the Santa Cruz. As standard, it comes with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder making 190 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque. It's coupled to a conventional eight-speed automatic transmission. Available as an option is a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder making 275 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque paired with a dual-clutch eight-speed automatic that comes with paddle shifters. Both powertrains come standard with front-wheel drive, but all-wheel drive is an option. That all-wheel drive system varies the torque split front and rear based on acceleration, cornering and tire slip. It also provides more rear torque by default when put in the truck's sport mode. Hyundai will also offer some off-road-oriented features such as a center differential lock and hill-descent control.

Inside, the Santa Cruz is virtually identical to the Tucson, but that's no bad thing. It has the stylish dual-cowl dash design, which can be paired with a 10-inch digital instrument display. The standard infotainment screen is 8 inches in size, but a 10-inch version is available as an option. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard as are safety features such as automatic emergency braking and lane-keep assist. Available as options are blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control with lane centering and a surround view camera.

The Santa Cruz goes on sale this summer. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but should be available close to the on-sale date. The truck will be built in Montgomery, Ala.
Source
Old 04-15-21, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Should have called it the Hyundai Santa Fail. This will not do well.
Old 04-15-21, 02:25 PM
Hoovey689

It's like a modern day Subaru Baja.
Old 04-15-21, 02:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Would have been way more productive to offer a traditional pick-up. That would have been guaranteed sales. This thing here will barely sell, just like it's earlier counterparts.
Old 04-15-21, 03:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Not appealing to me. A 4' bed and a cramped rear seat with odd styling. I suppose some people will buy it, in the way that some people bought the Baja, but I don't really see this as "adding a truck" to the Hyundai lineup.
Old 04-15-21, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yep. That's what it is............a Korean Baja.
Old 04-15-21, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a detailed video with the specs:

Old 04-15-21, 03:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not appealing to me. A 4' bed and a cramped rear seat with odd styling. I suppose some people will buy it, in the way that some people bought the Baja, but I don't really see this as "adding a truck" to the Hyundai lineup.
Neither does Hyundai

While it may have an open cargo bed in the back, Hyundai's new Santa Cruz is not a pickup truck. Or, at least, not according to Hyundai. Instead, the automaker calls it a "sport adventure vehicle," a term the company says it settled on through customer research.

Source
Old 04-15-21, 03:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Neither does Hyundai
Definitely. I was more pointing at the fact that people have been talking about Hyundai adding a truck and then we have this. Automotive press as well.

For example, from the article in your original post:

The full debut of the Hyundai pickup is just around the corner, but today we’re getting a revealing preview of what’s coming.
Old 04-15-21, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JDR76
Definitely. I was more pointing at the fact that people have been talking about Hyundai adding a truck and then we have this. Automotive press as well.

For example, from the article in your original post:
Surely it won't stop people or publications from calling it a truck because of the bed. Personally I'll call it a ute. In Australia ute's are essentially cars with cargo beds.
Old 04-15-21, 04:06 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I must be strange because I like this but not the Tucson as much which is it's based off.
Old 04-15-21, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Personally I'll call it a ute. In Australia ute's are essentially cars with cargo beds.

So was the Subaru Baja. But the Santa Cruz has one major advantage over the Baja......almost twice the warranty.
Old 04-15-21, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

...and here's the company video from Hyundai

Old 04-15-21, 05:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

As expected, the size of the pickup bed is a joke. But 5000 pounds of towing is pretty good for something this small, that's on par with the larger Ridgeline.

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz (full reveal April 15th)