Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz (full reveal April 15th)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 05:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not appealing to me. A 4' bed and a cramped rear seat with odd styling. I suppose some people will buy it, in the way that some people bought the Baja, but I don't really see this as "adding a truck" to the Hyundai lineup.
I don't think they're trying to appeal to current truck buyers and owners. They're positioning it for outdoor adventures and people shopping at REI (not a knock by any means).
Old 04-16-21, 06:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I kinda like it, but wish it were based on the larger Santa Fe rather than the Tuscon. Name would make more sense then too.
Old 04-16-21, 12:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hyundai Santa Cruz: how the design evolved from concept to production

A look at what changed and what stayed the same

The Hyundai HCD-15 Santa Cruz concept debuted at the 2015 Detroit auto show, but now that the production version is here as the 2022 Santa Cruz.

The HCD-15 had somewhat generic front-end styling that was not lifted from any existing Hyundai production model. At the time of the concept's debut, project lead John Krsteski, Manager at Hyundai Design America, said that a production version "could be based on something like a Tucson." And that's exactly what happened. Thus, the 2022 Santa Cruz borrows the front clip from the new Tucson, complete with its neat merging of LED lighting elements and grille design. From this view, we can also see an evolution in the vehicle's proportions, with the squat roofline and wider appearance giving way to the production model's taller greenhouse, with a windshield that again appears shared with the Tucson.

The biggest evolution in the Santa Cruz concept can be seen in the profile view. The HCD-15 hewed to the extended-cab pickup norm with its door configuration of long front doors paired with half-sized, rear-hinged rear doors. But as that configuration has fallen in popularity in favor of genuine four-door crew-cab pickups, Hyundai wisely switched the Santa Cruz to four regular doors. The switch makes for a less-sporty appearance, perhaps, but far more practicality and, likely, better market acceptance.

The production Santa Cruz also adopts the new Tucson's front-fender treatment, again part of the attempt to keep costs in line by using shared components. But it also retains much from the concept: the C-pillar treatment, the kick-up at the rear of the window line, the lower body styling, the location of the axles within the body and the plain round wheel arches.

At the rear, the styling of the production Santa Cruz has taken a turn toward conventional truck aesthetics with its less-rounded lower tailgate and squared-off, separate bumper. In place of the integrated exhaust outlets of the concept, we have chunky steps built into the ends of the bumper. The central Hyundai logo is gone, although the brand name is stamped into the tailgate handle. The tailgate's surface treatment is similar, however, as is the taillight design.

Hyundai didn't provide dimensions for the concept's cargo bed, but it appears to be no bigger than that of the production truck, which is just over 4 feet long. For an added dose of utility, the concept floated the idea of a drawer-like bed extension. That would have been neat, but the production Santa Cruz settles for a conventional drop-down tailgate, albeit one that also can be opened partway to be at the same height as the wheel housings inside the bed.

The tailgate of the 2022 Santa Cruz also follows pickup convention with its stamped nameplate: SANTA CRUZ. The lettering is a beefy design that looks appropriate, but we're partial to the more unusual lettering that was used in the concept, embossed into the front spoiler. Was it deemed too funky for production?

Overall, though the Santa Cruz concept of six years ago has been altered significantly in its journey from show car to showroom, the changes that have been made did not fundamentally alter the look and feel of the vehicle. Hyundai's designers should be commended for maintaining the spirit of the captivating concept as they brought this product to an equally captivating reality.
Source
Old 04-16-21, 03:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,341 Likes on 1,533 Posts

I don't see it selling well.
Old 04-16-21, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

It won't sell like an F-150/Silverado/Ram, but there are a fair number of folks for whom this is exactly what they are looking for. In fact, IMO, Subaru should not have dropped the Baja when they did....it probably cost them sales.
Old 04-16-21, 04:27 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The bed needed to be at least 5’ to be a viable “pickup”. Otherwise, not a bad effort.
Old 04-16-21, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stasek
The bed needed to be at least 5’ to be a viable “pickup”. Otherwise, not a bad effort.
Probably close enough for a cigar. There is almost exactly 5 feet of length with the tailgate open and the bed-extended, although it is unclear (I have not been able to find one) if a set of end-rails is available, like on the old Ford Explorer Sport-Trac....(remember that one)?.......to keep cargo from falling out the back with the tailgate open.

Old 07-13-21, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Default Hyundai Santa Cruz prices start higher than Ford Maverick

Spread between starting prices is $3,685; between top trims, it's over $13,000

Hyundai has released pricing information for the 2022 Santa Cruz, its first entry into America's super-lucrative pickup segment. Based on the Tucson, the trucklet is priced closer to Ford Ranger than to the new Ford Maverick.

Buyers have five trim levels to choose from called SE, SEL, SEL Activity, SEL Premium, and Limited, though the range is a little more complicated than that. The first three trims are powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that sends 190 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel-drive is optional. Stepping up to the SEL Premium or Limited trims brings a turbocharged version of the 2.5-liter whose output increases significantly to 275 and 310, respectively. It's all-wheel-drive only.

Pricing for a front-wheel-drive SE model starts at $25,175 including a $1,185 destination charge. Adding all-wheel-drive increases that figure by $1,500. Motorists who want the turbocharged engine will need to spend $36,865 for an SEL Premium, while the range-topping Limited is priced at $40,905, meaning it's approaching near-luxury-car territory.

But remember, the Santa Cruz won't be alone in the unibody pickup segment. Buyers seeking a truck that's built on car-like bones can also look at the Ford Maverick, which is about the same size as the Santa Cruz yet costs $21,490 including a $1,495 destination charge. The Maverick tops out in Lariat trim starting at $27,630 including destination.

Alternatively, there's the Honda Ridgeline, which is significantly bigger, more powerful, and correspondingly more expensive than either the Maverick or the Santa Cruz. It costs about $37,000.

Hyundai priced the Santa Cruz closer to the Ford Ranger, a more rugged body-on-frame model that carries a base price of $26,265 including a $1,195 destination charge, than to the Maverick, which is one of its closest rivals in terms of dimensions and capabilities. Time will tell whether this strategy will pay off. Built in Alabama, under the same roof as the Tucson it's related to, the Santa Cruz will reach showrooms across America in the coming weeks.
Source
Old 07-13-21, 11:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I just can't see this doing very well.
Old 07-13-21, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just can't see this doing very well.

The Ford Maverick, at a lower price, will probably be a temptation to many potential Santa Cruz buyers.

Of course, little or none of that makes much difference right now, at least until the new-vehicle market gets back to normal.
Old 07-13-21, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This Santa Cruz will flop
Old 07-13-21, 03:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What constitutes "selling well" for Hyundai? What are the projected sales goals. Do they intend this to be a niche vehicle? I know it's smaller than a Honda Ridgeline, but that's been out for years, and I rarely see them on the road.
Old 07-13-21, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This Santa Cruz will flop

That's quite a bold prediction, Jill.........especially with the U.S. market being so hot on crossovers right now.
Old 07-13-21, 03:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What constitutes "selling well" for Hyundai? What are the projected sales goals. Do they intend this to be a niche vehicle? I know it's smaller than a Honda Ridgeline, but that's been out for years, and I rarely see them on the road.
Last year Honda sold 32,168 Ridgelines (-3.5%). So far this year thru June they've sold 24,370 (+68%). Definitely a positive trend. I don't know exactly what's driving it but I am sure that Honda is enjoying this years numbers.
Old 07-13-21, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Last year Honda sold 32,168 Ridgelines (-3.5%). So far this year thru June they've sold 24,370 (+68%). Definitely a positive trend. I don't know exactly what's driving it but I am sure that Honda is enjoying this years numbers.
Perhaps the grill change for 2021 that made it look more truckish?

2020 Top, 2021 Bottom

Quick Reply: 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz (full reveal April 15th)