Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arbitration Agreement - New Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 06:04 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Arbitration clauses are very common. I would sign it and enjoy the new car.
I agree with the sentiment that may be behind this: that these really don't make a difference and rarely come into play. However, in those instances where they do come into play, it may be critical.

My father died as a result of the negligence of a nursing home. If I, holding holding his power of attorney, hadn't struck out the arbitration language in the admission agreement, there would have been no litigation over his wrongful death. I seriously doubt the same successful outcome would have been reached in arbitration.

Old 04-01-21, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
I agree with the sentiment that may be behind this: that these really don't make a difference and rarely come into play. However, in those instances where they do come into play, it may be critical.

My father died as a result of the negligence of a nursing home. If I, holding holding his power of attorney, hadn't struck out the arbitration language in the admission agreement, there would have been no litigation over his wrongful death. I seriously doubt the same successful outcome would have been reached in arbitration.
I'm extremely surprised that a nursing home would have struck that language. I'm sure yours was the last one they struck after your lawsuit lol

Bottom line is, Kia/the dealership doesn't want to sell you specifically a car bad enough to waive their standard arbitration agreement. They'll just sell it to somebody else. Its not worth the risk. We have arbitration agreements in all of our contracts and if a client won't sign them they cant work with us, bottom line. One piece of business is not worth the risk of opening ourselves up to all of that liability. People who are focused on that are litigious minded in the first place.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-21 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-01-21, 06:21 AM
TriC
Racer

I'm extremely surprised that a nursing home would have struck that language. I'm sure yours was the last one they struck after your lawsuit lol

Bottom line is, Kia doesn't want to sell you specifically a car bad enough to waive their standard arbitration agreement. They'll just sell it to somebody else. Its not worth the risk. We have arbitration agreements in all of our contracts and if a client won't sign them they cant work with us, bottom line. One piece of business is not worth the risk of opening ourselves up to all of that liability. People who are focused on that are litigious minded in the first place.
LOL, I was able to strike the language in the nursing home admission agreement because his admission took place after hours when the senior administration was gone. Whether it could have happened during normal business hours is unknown, but probably it would have been unlikely.

The arbitration agreement was not a KIA document, it was the dealer's. As mentioned above, the one that my wife signed when we bought the RX last September had bold language directly above her signature line that said whether she signed or not would not impact the purchase or the financing.

Businesses that force such an agreement on their clients are the ones who are litigious minded in the first place. They should be outlawed as against public policy.
Old 04-01-21, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Bottom line is, Kia/the dealership doesn't want to sell you specifically a car bad enough to waive their standard arbitration agreement.
It's possible that the dealership might also be concerned about the increasing number of Hyundai/Kia engine-fires and their implication.

Even without arbitration, though, Hyundai and Kia carry what are arguably the best warranties in the American market. Only Mitsubishi, a very minor player in the U.S., can equal it.
Old 04-01-21, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I was able to strike the language in the nursing home admission agreement because his admission took place after hours when the senior administration was gone. Whether it could have happened during normal business hours is unknown, but probably it would have been unlikely.
And that guy probably no longer works there.

The arbitration agreement was not a KIA document, it was the dealer's. As mentioned above, the one that my wife signed when we bought the RX last September had bold language directly above her signature line that said whether she signed or not would not impact the purchase or the financing.
I understand, its a standard dealership document.

Businesses that force such an agreement on their clients are the ones who are litigious minded in the first place. They should be outlawed as against public policy.
Well, my business does and we are not litigious minded. If arbitration agreements were outlawed you would pay WAY more for everything you buy lol. The bottom line is people are very sue happy, and arbitration agreements exist in contractual relationships to protect companies from frivolous retaliatory lawsuits. If a business had to field every complaint through a full jury trial they would be unable to operate, arbitration is a necessary tool in a business context.

Every business has the right to do business the way that works for them, and consumers have the right to choose whether or not they do business with a specific company. If a specific client is really worried about an arbitration agreement and doesnt want to work with us for that reason, and they can find a competitor that will take their business without signing any arbitration language, that competitor can have that client lol. I will drive them there myself.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's possible that the dealership might also be concerned about the increasing number of Hyundai/Kia engine-fires and their implication.

Even without arbitration, though, Hyundai and Kia carry what are arguably the best warranties in the American market. Only Mitsubishi, a very minor player in the U.S., can equal it.
Like I said, every agreement I have includes an arbitration agreement, Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes, Chrysler, Kia....has nothing to do with any one manufacturer.
Old 04-01-21, 01:11 PM
TriC
Racer

Every business has the right to do business the way that works for them, and consumers have the right to choose whether or not they do business with a specific company. If a specific client is really worried about an arbitration agreement and doesnt want to work with us for that reason, and they can find a competitor that will take their business without signing any arbitration language, that competitor can have that client lol. I will drive them there myself.

Like I said, every agreement I have includes an arbitration agreement, Lexus, Toyota, Mercedes, Chrysler, Kia....has nothing to do with any one manufacturer.
Herein, is exactly a prime problem with arbitration agreements - if every business in a field (here, vehicles) requires it, the consumer is left with no choice.

They are not inappropriate when the parties have equal bargaining power. An example would be a major league sports provision for binding salary arbitration.

The are particularly odious in new car sales because they are presented at the end of a process where many buyers have already developed an emotional attachment to the vehicle.

Suppose you are slated for a serious medical procedure. You're on the gurney being wheeled into the operating room when the surgeon hands you an arbitration agreement....
Old 04-01-21, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Suppose you are slated for a serious medical procedure. You're on the gurney being wheeled into the operating room when the surgeon hands you an arbitration agreement....
If you look through the paperwork you sign when you are admitted to the hospital...you likely sign an arbitration agreement...they're becoming more and more widespread in the medical field.

Just because you sign one doesnt mean that you can't seek legal restitution, theres every likelihood that they won't hold up in court. Just having them though dissuades a lot of lawsuits and thats the point.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-01-21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-01-21, 01:41 PM
TriC
Racer

Just because you sign one doesnt mean that you can't seek legal restitution, theres every likelihood that they won't hold up in court. Just having them though dissuades a lot of lawsuits and thats the point.
Yes, there is some likelihood of such a provision being struck down in litigation. Generally speaking, the more unequal the bargaining power, the more likely it won't survive.
Old 04-01-21, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, there is some likelihood of such a provision being struck down in litigation. Generally speaking, the more unequal the bargaining power, the more likely it won't survive.
Exactly, so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 04-01-21, 06:41 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

This is interesting. Make me went back to look at my Volvo lease contract. It does have this "arbitration clause" section on the last page, and Volvo did offer the option to opt-out within 30 days. It not a separate contract, just part of the whole leasing agreement.

I guess you can still sign it to get the car first and then opt-out as you wish.
Old 04-02-21, 10:10 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many dealers require their own arbitration agreement these days, however there are some that still don't.

Separate from that, most finance and lease contracts have their own arbitration agreement provisions built into the contracts too for the banks. If you financed or leased the car, even if you had declined the dealership's provision, you still would have been required to sign the bank's.
Old 04-02-21, 11:18 AM
TriC
Racer

The loan would have been through KIA's financing arm. We didn't get that far, so I don't know what, if any, such provision, their promissory note contained.
Old 04-02-21, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at my paperwork from Kia...its in there.
Old 04-02-21, 05:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

The nursing home is way more eager to get that business than the car dealer. Car dealer makes a few hundred dollars of profit; nursing home makes thousands and thousands of dollars from insurance and medicare payments.
Old 04-02-21, 05:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Not likely. These provisions have been around for decades, and have stood up in court time and time again. These companies know exactly what they are doing. And in most cases, it's a paragraph buried in some agreement, and no a separate agreement to sign.

Quick Reply: Arbitration Agreement - New Car Purchase