Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arbitration Agreement - New Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

every single car i have bought so far from any brands have come with this agreement
Old 04-02-21, 08:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

These mandatory arbitration clauses are all over the place. A lot of public companies have these in their bylaws for shareholder lawsuits. I’m sure you have signed off on many of these clauses before but may not have realized it.
Old 04-03-21, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

So TriC what are you going to do, are you going to not buy a car to avoid signing an arbitration agreement?
Old 04-03-21, 07:33 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Not all dealers have them or, if they do, require their execution (as earlier described regarding our recent RX 350 purchase).

It also may make a difference to me whether the dealer is local or out of state. In the latter instance, it would be more trouble than it's worth to ever sue. In the former, the only cost is the filing fee.
Old 04-03-21, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It begs the question, under what circumstance would you want or need to sue the dealer who sold you the car?
Old 04-03-21, 08:00 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

The one that most readily comes to mind is failure to disclose (such as prior body/paint repair), after being specifically asked if any disclosures need to be made.

To turn the question around - what are dealers so afraid of? In a normal sale, they should have absolutely nothing to fear. If I buy a lawn mower at Lowe's, there's no AA. Heck, my Kubota cost as much as a car and the dealer didn't present an AA. If there's an issue, my recourse is against the manufacturer.
Old 04-03-21, 08:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
To turn the question around - what are dealers so afraid of?
They are afraid of frivolous lawsuits that cost a lot of money to defend. Most lawsuits settle because the cost of the settlement is likely cheaper than the cost of litigation, even if you know you will prevail at the end of litigation. Arbitration proceedings are much less involved and much shorter.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-03-21 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriC
The one that most readily comes to mind is failure to disclose (such as prior body/paint repair), after being specifically asked if any disclosures need to be made.
But its a brand new car...and there is no legal requirement to make such a disclosure.

To turn the question around - what are dealers so afraid of? In a normal sale, they should have absolutely nothing to fear. If I buy a lawn mower at Lowe's, there's no AA. Heck, my Kubota cost as much as a car and the dealer didn't present an AA. If there's an issue, my recourse is against the manufacturer.
Unfortunately thats just not true. Car dealerships have a lot of legal liability towards the public and even the most honest car dealership will come across situations where people will try and sue them for things that they have no control over. Lets say that a consumer has an issue with their vehicle that is outside the dealers control and the manufacturer can't or won't satisfy the consumer. Absent an arbitration agreement the dealership is open to whatever sort of retaliatory lawsuits the consumer wants to throw at them. Lets say a consumer decides after a sale that they didnt get a good enough deal. Lots of examples. An attorney will advise a client to sue everybody they can sue, sue the manufacturer, sue the dealer, sue the salesman, sue the guy who detailed the car, etc. The dealer has a huge legal team at their disposal...the dealership and their staff don't.

I'll give you one from my own company. We represented a seller (not me but someone else at the company) and that seller chose to overprice the house. A contract came in 25 days later (this is a market where things are selling in 3 days with 15 offers, so that shows you the power of pricing) around where they were told they should list the house, and they accept it. After closing all their friends say "my god how could you do that all the houses are selling way over and you should have had 20 offers etc" now the guy is threatening to sue us. Well guess what? He signed an arbitration agreement and thats why. It protects us from the extremely expensive and time consuming process of handling a lawsuit in the court.

This is why you are seeing this more and more. The company you're doing business with is not always, or even very often the bad guy. You can do everything right and honorably and still get sued, and when you get sued you ALWAYS lose, even if you win the case.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-03-21 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 08:27 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

It’s a CYA agreement and is a direct result of the foolish notion that the customer is always right

Litigious societies eventually become intolerable to live in.

it’s a lousy agreement that has to be signed. The dealer sees it as a red flag when someone refuses to sign it as they right or wrongly believe they will have trouble with that customer down the road

it’s just a car. It can be fixed. Buy it if you like the deal. May have to buy used if you don’t want to sign and arbitration agreement.

it’s not a big deal. Losing your right to sue over a new car is no big deal
Old 04-03-21, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bet you used car dealerships have an arbitration agreement too
Old 04-03-21, 09:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I bet you used car dealerships have an arbitration agreement too
they probably had it before new car dealers did
Old 04-03-21, 09:19 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

Maybe varies by state but in CA you can still pursue lemon law remedies regardless of whether you signed an arbitration agreement plus the arbitration decision isn’t binding on the consumer, you can still pursue your case through other legal channels if you wish (the arbitration decision may be on the manufacturer). These are all about decelerating the process when a customer has a complaint and ensuring fewer of them progress to the point where some action is necessary.

I do agree that these agreements are problematic. The clauses are buried in standard form contracts of adhesion that the customer can’t modify, they aren’t clearly explained, and are part of a stressful finance office process where the customer cannot possibly read and understand the implications of everything they are required to sign.

The bottom line, though, is if a purchase agreement has one of these clauses, you’re not going to be buying the car unless you sign it. But in many cases it may not really matter. You can still seek remedies if necessary.

Old 04-03-21, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. You can ALWAYS pursue legal remedies regardless of an arbitration agreement, the judge will decide if the arbitration agreement holds up.
Old 04-03-21, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Maybe varies by state but in CA you can still pursue lemon law remedies regardless of whether you signed an arbitration agreement plus the arbitration decision isn’t binding on the consumer, you can still pursue your case through other legal channels if you wish (the arbitration decision may be on the manufacturer). These are all about decelerating the process when a customer has a complaint and ensuring fewer of them progress to the point where some action is necessary.

I do agree that these agreements are problematic. The clauses are buried in standard form contracts of adhesion that the customer can’t modify, they aren’t clearly explained, and are part of a stressful finance office process where the customer cannot possibly read and understand the implications of everything they are required to sign.

The bottom line, though, is if a purchase agreement has one of these clauses, you’re not going to be buying the car unless you sign it. But in many cases it may not really matter. You can still seek remedies if necessary.
That’s because Lemon Laws are statutory schemes. Mandatory arbitration replaces a lawsuit for breach of contract.
Old 04-03-21, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That’s because Lemon Laws are statutory schemes. Mandatory arbitration replaces a lawsuit for breach of contract.
Thats the other important part. The arbitration clauses are for breach of contract. If you're in a situation where a dealership has committed fraud, there are regulatory bodies that deal with that. You can complain to your state attorney general etc.

Quick Reply: Arbitration Agreement - New Car Purchase