Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Arbitration Agreement - New Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 02:10 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The bottom line is if you flat refuse to sign arbitration agreements you’re not going to be able to do business with most companies, and they are becoming more and more common.
It's wise to be cautious in the use of "most," "all," "every" and the like. Are there studies of the matter (whatever it is)? TriC wasn't asked to sign one. Also, perhaps not enough consumers are aware of and/or contest the agreements. Because companies include the clause doesn't make it mandatory. Asking that arbitration clauses be deleted might work, as price bargaining sometimes does. Anecdotes aren't evidence, but for my two Lexi and a BMW predecessor, I had the dealers cross out the clause. I suggested a friend try it when he recently purchased a Toyota, and it worked. .My landlord, when he realized its inclusion was a deal breaker, removed it.
Old 04-29-21, 03:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
(To bring this topic full circle) I signed the papers this week for the purchase of a new minivan (details of which may be spelled out in a separate thread). This was done long-distance with an out of state multi-line small town dealer. They sent all the papers FedEx and they were returned the same way. Two things were notable:

1) It was so very nice not to have to sit in a finance office as there was no pitch for an extended warranty or any other such extras; and

2) There was no arbitration agreement presented.
congrats! i did my LC the same way... papers came by fedex, i got them out to go back the same day after i signed them in front a notary. can't remember if there was an arbitration agreement since i didn't care.
Old 04-29-21, 04:46 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats! i did my LC the same way... papers came by fedex, i got them out to go back the same day after i signed them in front a notary. can't remember if there was an arbitration agreement since i didn't care.
Why did you not care if there was mandatory mediation?