Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exro's claimed technology could disrupt the electric car market

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 10:45 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Who are they supplying?
they just committed to building a facility to build 100,000 units a year to tier one makers. This is in their NR. They have not yet stated who they are. I don’t know the answer. But I do know it would be foolish to build such a facility if you don’t have absolutely certainty of contracts.

Im sure we will soon find out.

not sure what the cost is to build our such a production plant but with the cost of robots milking machines etc I can’t imagine it being much below $100m.

that’s a big commitment without having a tier one in your pocket.

also the CEO said it’s low volume. So highly doubt their is no certainty in her mind as to whom and how many

Old 04-04-21, 10:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

This company currently has zero revenue.
Old 04-04-21, 10:55 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How many shares do you own?

my position in a company has no bearing on the validity of the company and its technology. This is a totally irrelevant question and it distracts from learning about the technology and changes the focus to me not the tech.

If you want to comment on the tech great , let’s just try not to make it about me Thanks

it’s known in the industry as a Tesla Killer for a reason.

Old 04-04-21, 10:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by winterturb
it’s known in the industry as a Tesla Killer for a reason.
Back this claim up. And explain why phase switching can replace a gearbox. Also why is this a Tesla killer, this is supposed to be tech they sell to OEMs like Tesla although you say it's not to auto makers directly but the companies that make drive units. So what companies are making drive units for VW, Volvo, Porsche, GM etc.

You did say
I can’t think of bigger car news
Bold claim with nothing to back it up. Zero.

Last edited by LeX2K; 04-04-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

they just committed to building a facility to build 100,000 units a year to tier one makers. This is in their NR. They have not yet stated who they are. I don’t know the answer. But I do know it would be foolish to build such a facility if you don’t have absolutely certainty of contracts.

Im sure we will soon find out.

not sure what the cost is to build our such a production plant but with the cost of robots milking machines etc I can’t imagine it being much below $100m.

that’s a big commitment without having a tier one in your pocket.

also the CEO said it’s low volume. So highly doubt their is no certainty in her mind as to whom and how many
I am not optimistic. Small little electric motors for little boats or bikes maybe. Can’t imagine tier 1 automakers.
Old 04-04-21, 11:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I am not optimistic. Small little electric motors for little boats or bikes maybe. Can’t imagine tier 1 automakers.
"Tesla killer" that means supplying tech to all the top tier OEMs. Except Tesla.
Old 04-04-21, 11:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Honestly, any industry expert claiming anything is a Tesla killer sounds completely moronic. Hard to kill anything worth $650B.
Old 04-04-21, 11:44 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

"Tesla killer" that means supplying tech to all the top tier OEMs. Except Tesla.
It’s known in the industry as a Tesla killer because it’s reduces the need for gearboxes, reducing Both weight and costs. Which means a maker could build a better car than Tesla for much less money hence the name Tesla Killer

I think Magna supplies motors to Tesla and Magna I understand is well in the loop on Exro and likely could become the premier maker of their drive systems

A bit silly to assume Tesla wouldn’t adopt this tech if it’s as good as the company and it’s partners are indicating

Old 04-04-21, 11:53 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

strategic partnerships include Train Motor makers in Austria, large Truck Motor Makers, Ship Motor Makers. They are building out a facility for Tier 1 automakers and have themselves made only to make a few 100,000 units a year. You may not be optimistic about it, they are. So much so they are investing a lot of money into making motors for Tier 1 automakers and licensing out the high volumes to others. They are way past optimism or pessimism stages. The market on the other hand is waking up to the tech and that takes time

I can’t invest due to insider trading laws. If I could it would be my only holding
Old 04-04-21, 12:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It’s known in the industry as a Tesla killer because it’s reduces the need for gearboxes, reducing Both weight and costs. Which means a maker could build a better car than Tesla for much less money hence the name Tesla Killer
I think Magna supplies motors to Tesla and Magna I understand is well in the loop on Exro and likely could become the premier maker of their drive systems
These two directly conflict.
A bit silly to assume Tesla wouldn’t adopt this tech if it’s as good as the company and it’s partners are indicating
And conflicts again. How is this a Tesla killer when Tesla can use said technology.
Old 04-04-21, 12:41 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

Few automotive epithets are used as often yet with as little substance and validity as “Tesla Killer”.

The company most likely to disrupt Tesla is Tesla itself.
Old 04-04-21, 02:11 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

These two directly conflict.

And conflicts again. How is this a Tesla killer when Tesla can use said technology.
It’s a name

Last edited by winterturb; 04-04-21 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I can’t invest due to insider trading laws. If I could it would be my only holding
I appreciate your honesty here. so you have insider information and thus don't trade the stock but you're obviously very positive on the company based on some insider information you have.

however, the seekingalpha article which Lexus2000 posted a link to provides VERY specific and detailed information as to why they consider EXRO full of it and destined to failure. Specifically why is the CEO selling shares if it's so great? The questionable background of the CEO. The questionable 'partnerships'. The questionable patents. They had some revenue and net income in 2015 but since then have only hemorrhaged cash since.

I strongly suggest everyone here read the article.

Old 04-04-21, 03:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

strategic partnerships include Train Motor makers in Austria, large Truck Motor Makers, Ship Motor Makers. They are building out a facility for Tier 1 automakers and have themselves made only to make a few 100,000 units a year. You may not be optimistic about it, they are. So much so they are investing a lot of money into making motors for Tier 1 automakers and licensing out the high volumes to others. They are way past optimism or pessimism stages. The market on the other hand is waking up to the tech and that takes time

I am not optimistic because generally speaking the barrier to entry in the automotive area is extremely high. Also, based in Calgary doesn’t help as most suppliers in North America are close to the route I95 and more and more suppliers are moving to southern states and Mexico. Finally, most automotive manufacturers design and build their own engines....so buying from the company seems far fetched.
Old 04-04-21, 05:09 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I appreciate your honesty here. so you have insider information and thus don't trade the stock but you're obviously very positive on the company based on some insider information you have.

however, the seekingalpha article which Lexus2000 posted a link to provides VERY specific and detailed information as to why they consider EXRO full of it and destined to failure. Specifically why is the CEO selling shares if it's so great? The questionable background of the CEO. The questionable 'partnerships'. The questionable patents. They had some revenue and net income in 2015 but since then have only hemorrhaged cash since.

I strongly suggest everyone here read the article.
Yes I am post it I’ve on the company based on the tech and what it does which is why I am neither bothered by naysayers or misinformation. You should really see who benefited from that short report. Likely not the folks you should be trusting but to each their own. Lexus2000 didn’t bother to post the companies reply so a bit disingenuous the report was proven to be a malicious attempt to grab cheap shares and shake real folks out off their money.

Quick Reply: Exro's claimed technology could disrupt the electric car market