Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Die-Hard Battery is back......but it's not a real Die-Hard.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 07:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"On sale" might be a relative term. These batteries list for well into three figures each, particularly the Platinum one.
On sale is ALWAYS a relative term, in the most literal sense. It is relative to the normal selling price of that particular item. It doesn't matter if the normal price is $1 or $1M.

At the time, the one I bought was marked down from $200 to $187, and I was able to apply a $50 coupon on top of that. If I had to buy one today, I would go to Autozone, because my size AGM is $200, vs. $220 for the exact same battery at Advanced Auto.
Old 04-06-21, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Brands dont mean a whole lot in the modern era when it comes to batteries. Almost all batteries are made by 2 or 3 manufacturers. This "Die Hard" battery is the exact same battery as AAP's AutoCraft batteries, which are the same as every other JohnsonControls battery.
Old 04-07-21, 05:44 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As a flashlight enthusiast I learned that many of the popular US made CR123 batteries come from the same factory. Yet not all are exactly the same. Energy storage differs in some. Ability to hold steady voltage with massive draws differs in some.

I guess what I'm getting at is the buyer needs to read up on things like how long the battery can last if one uses it to power a portable vaccum or inflate a tire without the car running or how well does it handle powering a starter motor on a very cold engine.

But that too can vary within a brand too. Take DieHard as an example. You have silver, gold and platinum. So does Autocraft but does the AutoCraft have the same cold cranking amps? To some in say North Dakota that can matter. In Key West Florida, perhaps not unless you are trying to fire a high compression engine. I had a DieHard keep failing on me years ago and eventually the guy at Sears asked me about my engine. They had sold me the "size" to fit my car but it was underpowered. I paid them a few $ to upgrade after 3 or 4 replacements to fire up my high compression engine and I never had another issue.

So there may be times you purchase a battery based on the specs and not the warranty or brand since as it has been said, many are made in the same factory anyway.
Old 04-07-21, 05:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Bykfixer
But that too can vary within a brand too. Take DieHard as an example. You have silver, gold and platinum. So does Autocraft but does the AutoCraft have the same cold cranking amps?
Yes, they do, they are the exact same battery. Same SKU number at AAP and everything. I posted a picture above from my purchase of one. The static text in the email says it's an AutoCraft Platinum AGM (because that's what it was at the time), but the picture is of the DieHard variant, because that's what they sell now. Clicking the link in the email brings me to the page for the current DieHard Platinum AGM version of the SKU.
Old 04-07-21, 07:20 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Good information. Who has had a battery last a very long time? I have seen customer’s batteries last 8 years and still working.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 04-07-21 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 08:21 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 434 Posts

I had a Die-hard battery in my 390 Fairlane yrs ago, worked great. Had a couple Interstates as well including one in the rx. Also had a oreillys batttery which was made by East Penn.
Old 04-07-21, 08:37 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what research I did (and what little info I could find on it) the present-generation Die-Hard batteries are made in Wisconsin, by a company called Johnson Controls.

Exide and Delphi also produce vehicle-batteries in the U.S. I didn't know until until I looked it up, but Exide apparently also made some of the old Die-Hards that used to be sold at Sears......which is not surprising, considering the excellence of their own Exide-label batteries.
There are two main suppliers for batteries in the US...Exide or Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls Power Solutions sold and is now Clarios. They manufacture:

Interstate
Toyota True Start under Interstate
Lexus Genuine Battery under Interstate
Costco under Interstate
Die Hard
Duralast

just to name a few.
Old 04-07-21, 09:45 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree that brand is not that of a big deal when it comes to battery. Most are refurbish anyway, so their performance varies even it has the same part#.

I went with the Walmart EverStart Maxx for the LX after watching this review. It is only $90 compares to the other one going for $200+. It is working so far so good.

btw....LEXUS wants $1,700 for their OEM battery
https://parts.lexus.com/t/Lexus_2014...0/battery.html
Old 04-07-21, 09:59 AM
sunpadre
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The old Die Hard batteries were very good and all that I used for a long time. Until they started to not hold up anymore and I had to switch to other makes. Hope these new, resurrected ones are made well. I will probably try one out next time I need a battery and see how it goes.
Old 04-07-21, 10:15 AM
MrRuffles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t believe all DieHards were made by Johnson Controls. I remember looking at batteries a couple of years ago and, here in the Northeast at least, there were DieHards that were made by EastPenn/Deka (you could identify them by the EP in their model number).
Old 04-07-21, 11:18 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Good information. Who has had a battery last a very long time? I have seen customer’s batteries last 8 years and still working.
The original Toyota battery in by 2002 GS 300 lasted 9 years. This is especially impressive given that when my mother owned the car, it was the original car driven once a week by a little old lady. During the two years before I took possession of the car, it was driven twice each year. Very hard on a battery, but this one took it without even needing a recharge or a boost. When it finally gave up the ghost, I considered another one, but being a dealer part it was twice as much as a premium aftermarket battery, I wasn't sure it would be the same manufacturer and I wasn't going to subject the battery to the same abuse, since the car is now a daily driver.

I bought Die-Hard batteries for 40 years until I needed the replacement for this one. Then I realized the warranty would last longer than Sears was going to be around, so I bought something else.
Old 04-07-21, 11:28 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRuffles
I don’t believe all DieHards were made by Johnson Controls. I remember looking at batteries a couple of years ago and, here in the Northeast at least, there were DieHards that were made by EastPenn/Deka (you could identify them by the EP in their model number).
At one time Johnson Controls made most of the auto batteries in the USA regardless of the name on the battery.
I used to drive past the main Johnson Controls battery manufacturing plant in So.CA & you could smell the acid they used.
The entire property has been condemed now.

I bought my 1st car in 1978, a 1971 Firebird Formula 455. It had a J.C.Penny battery with a lifetime warranty. When I sold the car after I wrecked it, I kept the battery & put it in the next 1967 Firebird I bought, when the battery started to fail I exchanged it for a new one. When J.C. Pennys closed their auto centers Firestone took over the battery warranty I would remove the battery & take it to Firestone to exchange for a new battery, I did this one more time & left the battery in that car when I sold it to buy my Porsche. since then I recently had to replace the battery in my GS 350 because it died in a Walmart parking lot luckly. I bought their best battery that came with a 10 year warranty non-prorated !
Old 04-08-21, 06:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
The original Toyota battery in by 2002 GS 300 lasted 9 years. This is especially impressive given that when my mother owned the car, it was the original car driven once a week by a little old lady. During the two years before I took possession of the car, it was driven twice each year. Very hard on a battery, but this one took it without even needing a recharge or a boost. When it finally gave up the ghost, I considered another one, but being a dealer part it was twice as much as a premium aftermarket battery, I wasn't sure it would be the same manufacturer and I wasn't going to subject the battery to the same abuse, since the car is now a daily driver.

I bought Die-Hard batteries for 40 years until I needed the replacement for this one. Then I realized the warranty would last longer than Sears was going to be around, so I bought something else.

sometimes the “it just keeps working so I’ll keep using it” method ends up not being the best approach though. I’ve posted the below before a few years ago so just pasting it in

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
This thread reminds me of something.... My sister's 1982 Honda Civic wagon had a battery that lasted just like that. Went twelve years, car was in perfect shape and started and ran like a top.

Passenger noticed some softness in the floorboard and she took it to a mechanic and put the car up onto a lift - the battery (which looked fine up top) had slowly been leaking acid down the frame of the car and had actually corroded so much of the car's structure it had to be totaled.

Not saying that's going to happen with yours - just make sure to keep a good eye on it... and under it.
Old 04-08-21, 07:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
This thread reminds me of something.... My sister's 1982 Honda Civic wagon had a battery that lasted just like that. Went twelve years, car was in perfect shape and started and ran like a top.

Passenger noticed some softness in the floorboard and she took it to a mechanic and put the car up onto a lift - the battery (which looked fine up top) had slowly been leaking acid down the frame of the car and had actually corroded so much of the car's structure it had to be totaled.

Not saying that's going to happen with yours - just make sure to keep a good eye on it... and under it.
That is crazy. I lost a few electronic devices such as remote controls when old batteries leaked inside them, but a totalled car is on a whole different level. Speaking of batteries, I remember on older cars, back in the 90ies, battery terminals and wires attached to them would corrode over time and had to be periodically cleaned with a wire brush. This really doesn't happen anymore, is it due to newer battery tech?
Old 04-08-21, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That is crazy. I lost a few electronic devices such as remote controls when old batteries leaked inside them, but a totalled car is on a whole different level. Speaking of batteries, I remember on older cars, back in the 90ies, battery terminals and wires attached to them would corrode over time and had to be periodically cleaned with a wire brush. This really doesn't happen anymore, is it due to newer battery tech?
It was actually a special tool...I still have one in my tool kit, but. like you, I rarely if ever use it any more.....don't need to. For one thing, it screws up the computers and memory too much nowadays when you disconnect the battery. And, like you say, the terminals don't corrode as much.

Anyhow, it was a two-part tool (two-in-one) You pulled the cap off and used the top portion to clean the holes inside of the terminals.....and the lower part to clean the (+) and (-) battery-posts.

Quick Reply: The Die-Hard Battery is back......but it's not a real Die-Hard.