Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Die-Hard Battery is back......but it's not a real Die-Hard.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default The Die-Hard Battery is back......but it's not a real Die-Hard.

Those of you here on the forum with non-electric (gas or diesel) engines, that trade or lease your vehicles every few years, will probably not need to replace your battery unless you have a defective alternator or other electrical component...or just a crap-battery itself. But those of you who keep your vehicles longer than that may be looking at a factory-spec or aftermarket battery-replacement. Some of you who have been around as long as I have may remember the Exide Go-Power and Sears Die-Hard Batteries, which both had a reputation for a long life and a lifetime-replacement warranty. (I was a big fan of the Exide batteries myself).

The Die-Hard was marketed and sold by Sears & Roebuck, but, over the years, gradually lost its lifetime free-replacement to a pro-rated lifetime warranty, then to 20 years, then 15 years, then 10, then 5, then with Sears itself going out of business a few years ago. More or less the same thing with the Exide batteries. But, it appears that the Die-Hard name, at least, has returned, if not the warranty.

This evening, I was at Advance Auto Parts to pick up a spray-can of Liquid-Wrench Penetrant for a colleague of mine (not many places seem to carry Liquid Wrench anymore...Advance is one of the few places that still do)...and, inside the store, they had a row of new-looking ad-signs proclaiming that "The Die-Hard is back". So, I went over to the battery-rack and checked them out. Sure enough, there was a whole row of Die-hards......in three series, Gold, Silver, and Platinum. They seem to be quite hefty, solid, well-built, with good cold-cranking-amps (one of the measures of a battery's potential strength)...and, on the outside at least, reminded me of the old lifetime Die-Hards I remember. Of course, I wasn't expecting a lifetime warranty from a company like Advance,, and, sure enough, it is only 3 years....but, at least, it is a full-replacement warranty (no deductible or pro-rating), meaning that if it craps out in less then three years (or fails to hold a charge), you get a new one free.

Anyhow, for those interested, here's the link:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...erm=die%20hard

The video-ad for it is stereotyped a little too much for my tastes, but here it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Hopefully the battery is Made in the USA.
Old 04-05-21, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hopefully the battery is Made in the USA.

From what research I did (and what little info I could find on it) the present-generation Die-Hard batteries are made in Wisconsin, by a company called Johnson Controls.

Exide and Delphi also produce vehicle-batteries in the U.S. I didn't know until until I looked it up, but Exide apparently also made some of the old Die-Hards that used to be sold at Sears......which is not surprising, considering the excellence of their own Exide-label batteries.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-21 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 07:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to Autozone today to get a new battery for motorcycle. They only had Duralast, which is what I got. The place was completely packed, I don't remember auto parts stores being so packed around here.
Old 04-05-21, 08:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I’ve been seeing the new Die-Hard commercials and wondered if they were as good as the old ones were. I was thinking about putting one in my SC300.
Old 04-05-21, 09:00 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what research I did (and what little info I could find on it) the present-generation Die-Hard batteries are made in Wisconsin, by a company called Johnson Controls.

Exide and Delphi also produce vehicle-batteries in the U.S. I didn't know until until I looked it up, but Exide apparently also made some of the old Die-Hards that used to be sold at Sears......which is not surprising, considering the excellence of their own Exide-label batteries.
Exide batteries are garbage. Johnson Controls for life!
Old 04-05-21, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
Exide batteries are garbage.

Can't speak for today's Exide batteries, but, in my early days of driving, they were arguably the best ones in the industry. They were the only ones with a no-restricted lifetime warranty until the original Sears Die-Hard came along and also offered one.

Also, one difference between today's batteries and those of decades ago is that the alternators in today's vehicles are so much better......they can keep batteries from discharging even at idle speeds. Years ago, at idle-speeds, you could actually see the headlights and instrument-panel lights dim at idle, and then suddenly get bright again as you give the engine some gas and take off. Same with the ammeter-gauge, if the car had one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-21 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 09:23 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

First car I ever owned had a battery from pepboys...cant remember the brand. It keeps dying every 2 years and have a 3 year full replacement warranty. I have installed that battery in all my cars after my first car, on my 4th battery now.

So I have never bought a car battery ever.
Old 04-06-21, 04:42 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The last DieHard I had was a gel kind. Great battery. Glad to see they're back.
Old 04-06-21, 04:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Those of you here on the forum with non-electric (gas or diesel) engines, that trade or lease your vehicles every few years, will probably not need to replace your battery unless you have a defective alternator or other electrical component...or just a crap-battery itself. But those of you who keep your vehicles longer than that may be looking at a factory-spec or aftermarket battery-replacement. Some of you who have been around as long as I have may remember the Exide Go-Power and Sears Die-Hard Batteries, which both had a reputation for a long life and a lifetime-replacement warranty. (I was a big fan of the Exide batteries myself).

The Die-Hard was marketed and sold by Sears & Roebuck, but, over the years, gradually lost its lifetime free-replacement to a pro-rated lifetime warranty, then to 20 years, then 15 years, then 10, then 5, then with Sears itself going out of business a few years ago. More or less the same thing with the Exide batteries. But, it appears that the Die-Hard name, at least, has returned, if not the warranty.

This evening, I was at Advance Auto Parts to pick up a spray-can of Liquid-Wrench Penetrant for a colleague of mine (not many places seem to carry Liquid Wrench anymore...Advance is one of the few places that still do)...and, inside the store, they had a row of new-looking ad-signs proclaiming that "The Die-Hard is back". So, I went over to the battery-rack and checked them out. Sure enough, there was a whole row of Die-hards......in three series, Gold, Silver, and Platinum. They seem to be quite hefty, solid, well-built, with good cold-cranking-amps (one of the measures of a battery's potential strength)...and, on the outside at least, reminded me of the old lifetime Die-Hards I remember. Of course, I wasn't expecting a lifetime warranty from a company like Advance,, and, sure enough, it is only 3 years....but, at least, it is a full-replacement warranty (no deductible or pro-rating), meaning that if it craps out in less then three years (or fails to hold a charge), you get a new one free.

Anyhow, for those interested, here's the link:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...erm=die%20hard

The video-ad for it is stereotyped a little too much for my tastes, but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kFGGFI9Xo
This ridiculous commercial debuted last year during football season. I never even knew the Diehard battery was gone.

I doubt very much that it has anything in common with the original other than the name. Similar to how Sears sold off the Kenmore and Craftsman names.
Old 04-06-21, 05:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I have had one of these in my car for 5 years, still going strong even starting an ornery old diesel in sub-zero winter temps. However when I bought it, the name was AutoCraft Platinum AGM. AutoCraft had been Advanced Auto's house brand until they purchased the DieHard name about a year ago. But if I open the email receipt from five years ago, the image has been updated:

It's the same exact battery as AutoZone's Duralast Platinum AGM. Buy whichever one is on sale.

Last edited by geko29; 04-06-21 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 05:25 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info geko.
I've had good service from AutoCraft batteries and not so good. Same with DieHard so I'll buy whichever is on sale.
Old 04-06-21, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
It's the same exact battery as AutoZone's Duralast Platinum AGM. Buy whichever one is on sale.

"On sale" might be a relative term. These batteries list for well into three figures each, particularly the Platinum one.
Old 04-06-21, 06:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
First car I ever owned had a battery from pepboys...cant remember the brand. It keeps dying every 2 years and have a 3 year full replacement warranty. I have installed that battery in all my cars after my first car, on my 4th battery now.

So I have never bought a car battery ever.
Do you keep buying the same vehicle? I didn't think batteries would be that universal. Not to mention, you must buy used with poor batteries to start with.
Old 04-06-21, 06:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DieHard_(brand)

interesting read

Quick Reply: The Die-Hard Battery is back......but it's not a real Die-Hard.