Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tiger woods accident update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 09:02 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Too much speculation. Guy was having a good time. I've done it, so has everyone else. Story over. Easy for things to go wrong at that speed, especially on a street like that.

Black box? Seriously they have the ability to figure out your speed within a few mph without needing to look anything up.

Frightening speed to hit a tree at 75 mph. I've crashed into a guard rail at 45mph or less and it was serious damage to vehicle and myself. And that was an old rock solid Lexus.

It's easy to underestimate speed and the potential damage which can come, he's certainly very lucky to be alive.
Old 04-07-21, 09:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

With Tigers money He likely Drives some very Hot High Hp Performance cars and SUV's and can probably out drive 99% of us here. LOL!

I think He had a mistake or Accident like everyone else who has had one, but being that we were not there, the only thing we do know is that we are all Human and all make mistakes. The Data is indicating:

data was obtained from the vehicle’s event data recorder, known colloquially as the black box. The data showed that Woods had hit the accelerator throughout the crash, and that the pressure applied to the pedal was 99 percent. Powers said he believed that Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator while trying to brake.

Everyone makes mistakes. I personally wish Tiger or anyone else who makes a mistake and suffers injury's that they are ok and gets well.
Old 04-07-21, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Everyone makes mistakes. I personally wish Tiger or anyone else who makes a mistake and suffers injury's that they are ok and gets well.
Well said/written.
Old 04-07-21, 10:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Going double the speed and no DUI/blood test or further punishment. If this had been you or me, it would have been a different story. Not to mention how in a split second he could have hit someone head-on. Very sad how weak the LA County sheriff and all of the LAPD have become. There's no more justice in CA.
Old 04-07-21, 10:32 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

By far the most likely explanation is that he was speeding on an unfamiliar road and simply lost control.

Now we’ve all driven faster than we should, but if this were someone less high-profile than Tiger, chances are they would already have been booked for reckless driving and I most certainly doubt you’d see the “perhaps he mistook the accelerator for the brakes” attempts to gloss over the most probable explanation for the incident.

Old 04-07-21, 10:33 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Going double the speed and no DUI/blood test or further punishment. If this had been you or me, it would have been a different story. Not to mention how in a split second he could have hit someone head-on. Very sad how weak the LA County sheriff and all of the LAPD have become. There's no more justice in CA.
Absolutely right.
Old 04-08-21, 06:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Is that normal procedure? That if you are going really fast that the police conduct a DUI or blood test? That doesn't sound like probable cause to me. Police need to see something that indicates impairment - they can't just test every speeder for DUI.

I certainly agree that TW or any celebrity should not get preferential treatment; but by the same token, he shouldn't be treated more harshly. Cite TW for reckless driving, and move on.
Old 04-08-21, 07:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Again did everybody see this?

The data showed that Woods had hit the accelerator throughout the crash, and that the pressure applied to the pedal was 99 percent. Powers said he believed that Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator while trying to brake.

Tiger was in a car he does not own and did not have a lot of experience driving much. They said He had on a Seat Belt, was Not on the Phone. There is a Video a few mins before that shows he was behind another car and not really going that fast. LAPD did not do anything because they saw no indication of any substances affecting him. If this was one of us, and/or God Forbid one of our Family Members we loved, I would hope the unsupported actually opposite fact accusations would not be being said as they are here. Jeeeeeeze! Guess some are just going to continue to ignore what we know to make accusations about a Human being who suffered some very serious injuries by accident. Sad. Really Sad some post here.
Old 04-08-21, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My guess is he fell asleep and pushed the accelerator all the way in with the dead weight of his foot. If he were driving that fast intentionally he would have at least tried to brake.

As for him "trying out the new GV80" I doubt he cared enough about the car to do something like that lol. Just another tournament car he was driving to him.
Old 04-08-21, 07:47 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My guess is he fell asleep and pushed the accelerator all the way in with the dead weight of his foot. If he were driving that fast intentionally he would have at least tried to brake.

As for him "trying out the new GV80" I doubt he cared enough about the car to do something like that lol. Just another tournament car he was driving to him.
When I fall asleep, I my body normally relaxes.
Old 04-08-21, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
When I fall asleep, I my body normally relaxes.
But if you relax with your foot on the accelerator what happens? You slide forward, your ankle relaxes and your foot pushes down. I can absolutely see how this could happen. Or he feel asleep, and woke up with a start and pegged the gas thinking it was the brake.
Old 04-08-21, 07:55 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

But if you relax with your foot on the accelerator what happens? You slide forward, your ankle relaxes and your foot pushes down. I can absolutely see how this could happen. Or he feel asleep, and woke up with a start and pegged the gas thinking it was the brake.
I guess I'm different. I'm about Tigers Height 6' 1 1/2". I'm sitting in a chair. Reproduced me nodding falling asleep. Everything with my legs and feet just go inoperable. If it worked the other way I could go to sleep standing up. But I cant.

Old 04-08-21, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

i see no way that falling asleep means pressing the gas pedal 99%. That takes conscious effort.

he may have fallen asleep, but my guess is if he did so, he woke up, was in trouble, went to hit the brakes but hit the gas. From that point on it's over very fast and hard to recover from.
Old 04-08-21, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he may have fallen asleep, but my guess is if he did so, he woke up, was in trouble, went to hit the brakes but hit the gas. From that point on it's over very fast and hard to recover from.
That to me is very logical
Old 04-08-21, 08:14 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This has happened lots of times before. I doubt everyone potentially just fell asleep driving every time.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...be-real-change

For decades, residents on the Palos Verdes Peninsula have known that the steep, curving stretch of Hawthorne Boulevard heading into the Los Angeles Basin was a danger zone.
County Supervisor Janice Hahn, who represents the area, plans to request a safety review of the stretch of road where the accident occurred.

“I have driven this road myself many times, and I have noticed how easy it is to pick up speed on that hill, but I did not realize how many accidents were happening there,” Hahn said in an email.

The descent of the hill is routine for many commuters but can be treacherous even for those familiar with the road.

Swensson, the retired sheriff’s commander, said that at the spot where Woods crashed, there is a slight right turn that is easy to miss. A good friend of Swensson died at the spot about 15 years ago.

Quick Reply: Tiger woods accident update