Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tiger woods accident update

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 08:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
When I fall asleep, I my body normally relaxes.
But in every movie, when the driver gets killed, their foot ALWAYS fully depresses the accelerator to the floor; I just saw it last night watching part of True Lies. Hollywood wouldn't lie--so clearly the same thing probably happens if you fall asleep.
Old 04-08-21, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But in every movie, when the driver gets killed, their foot ALWAYS fully depresses the accelerator to the floor; I just saw it last night watching part of True Lies. Hollywood wouldn't lie--so clearly the same thing probably happens if you fall asleep.
"Hollywood wouldn't lie" LOL

In Armageddon, didn't Bruce Willis skid a space shuttle onto an asteroid making lots of skidding noises?
Old 04-08-21, 08:35 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
By far the most likely explanation is that he was speeding on an unfamiliar road and simply lost control.
Lets add dark roads and sharp turn to speed and lack of familiarity to road conditions. When the car went air-borne, I would imagine bracing for impact. Which would explain the pedal hitting the floorboard.
Old 04-08-21, 08:46 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Again did everybody see this?

The data showed that Woods had hit the accelerator throughout the crash, and that the pressure applied to the pedal was 99 percent. Powers said he believed that Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator while trying to brake.

Tiger was in a car he does not own and did not have a lot of experience driving much. They said He had on a Seat Belt, was Not on the Phone. There is a Video a few mins before that shows he was behind another car and not really going that fast. LAPD did not do anything because they saw no indication of any substances affecting him. If this was one of us, and/or God Forbid one of our Family Members we loved, I would hope the unsupported actually opposite fact accusations would not be being said as they are here. Jeeeeeeze! Guess some are just going to continue to ignore what we know to make accusations about a Human being who suffered some very serious injuries by accident. Sad. Really Sad some post here.

so let’s focus on the other parts of the Sheriff’s report.

“Tiger Woods was speeding when he crashed his sport-utility vehicle in February, reaching speeds of more than 80 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone on winding road near Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva.Villanueva said Woods was traveling between 84 and 87 miles per hour when he lost control, crossing over a median and hitting the curb on the opposite of the road. The vehicle struck a tree at an estimated 75 m.p.h. and was sent airborne, eventually stopping in some brush.

“The primary causal factor for this traffic collision was driving at a speed unsafe for the road conditions and the inability to negotiate the curve of the roadway,” said Villanueva.”

He was driving at around 85mph in a 45mph zone.

There’s no reason to look beyond that, and certainly no need to look for excuses.

This was exactly what it looks like. Self inflicted idiocy.

Old 04-08-21, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSyce
Lets add dark roads and sharp turn to speed and lack of familiarity to road conditions. When the car went air-borne, I would imagine bracing for impact. Which would explain the pedal hitting the floorboard.
No matter where one's foot is, a car cannot accelerate from 45 to 85 MPH once it is airborne....unless it is falling off a steep cliff, much larger cliff than the one in question. It pretty much had to have gained most of that speed on the ground.

I hope, for Tiger's sake (and I am thankful for him that he survived) that he has finally learned his lesson this time, after wrecking several different vehicles...and, if he can get any insurance at all after this incident (and is able to drive), will do so more sensibly in the future.
Old 04-08-21, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I just don't buy it it was intentional speeding at those speeds on that road. A 45 year old man who has access to fast performance cars would have no reason to want to drive a Genesis SUV in that way.
Old 04-08-21, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't buy it it was intentional speeding at those speeds on that road. A 45 year old man who has access to fast performance cars would have no reason to want to drive a Genesis SUV in that way.
We may have to get the full-story from Tiger himself, but he (supposedly) was late for a golfing-instruction-class (he is an instructor), and was trying to make up for lost time on the road.
Old 04-08-21, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt Tiger Woods is afraid of being late for anything lol. People wait.
Old 04-08-21, 09:31 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

That was what I was saying. I have driven in the Mountains before many times. Use to ride a Kawi zx9 every weekend in the Mountains. Down hill you better be below speed, set up already for the next 3 or more turns, or in the right Apex, or you will crash. Going up hill is one thing. Coming down even the slightest bit aggressive, not even hard can get you in trouble really quick carrying down gravity speed at a very fast rapid speed that you did not input yourself, before you know it. That was a big Heavy SUV. Not a Porsche SUV either. Would not take a nano second of Human error to get into lots of trouble. Even Pro Race Car Drivers with Tons of experience on a known Track crash by themselves.

The road is describe as giving many trouble. There is a blind decline that comes up real fast. Who does not maybe sometimes go 58 in a 45 sometimes? So you are going over the speed limit, very heavy SUV steep down hill. You make a mistake and there you are. Could happen to anyone. Even someone very Young, or very Old in that Heavy of a SVU that's Top heavy no less. Ppl crash on flat dry roads everyday. Like I said before, you don't have to be ill-responsible or a retard to make a mistake. Who does not?
Old 04-08-21, 09:32 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We may have to get the full-story from Tiger himself, but he (supposedly) was late for a golfing-instruction-class (he is an instructor), and was trying to make up for lost time on the road.
Tiger took a Head injury and does not remember anything about the crash at all at this time.

Here's a TMZ vid moments before the Crash.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tiger-wo...v-ai1j1LsKCoYc

Last edited by jgscott; 04-08-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, that's why I said earlier that we need to get the story directly from him. I have not (yet) heard it.....only the rumor from the media that he was late to see a golfing-student. It may or may not turn out to be fake news.
Old 04-08-21, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that's why I said earlier that we need to get the story directly from him. I have not (yet) heard it.....only the rumor from the media that he was late to see a golfing-student. It may or may not turn out to be fake news.
As was said before, he has no memory of the accident
Old 04-08-21, 10:26 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

He was driving at around 85mph in a 45mph zone.

There’s no reason to look beyond that, and certainly no need to look for excuses.

Lol exactly. I feel for the guy just the same I would for anyone and happy he made it through.

Case closed.

If it were anyone else article would read very different and 100% they'd be looking to find their fault.

With anyone else the article would read "Wreckless man dangerously..." Then proceed to speculate without any evidence of all his wrong doings. DUI, etc.

But with a celebrity "Must not have been his fault somehow..."
Old 04-08-21, 10:31 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

That was what I was saying. I have driven in the Mountains before many times. Use to ride a Kawi zx9 every weekend in the Mountains. Down hill you better be below speed, set up already for the next 3 or more turns, or in the right Apex, or you will crash. Going up hill is one thing. Coming down even the slightest bit aggressive, not even hard can get you in trouble really quick carrying down gravity speed at a very fast rapid speed that you did not input yourself, before you know it. That was a big Heavy SUV. Not a Porsche SUV either. Would not take a nano second of Human error to get into lots of trouble. Even Pro Race Car Drivers with Tons of experience on a known Track crash by themselves.

The road is describe as giving many trouble. There is a blind decline that comes up real fast. Who does not maybe sometimes go 58 in a 45 sometimes? So you are going over the speed limit, very heavy SUV steep down hill. You make a mistake and there you are. Could happen to anyone. Even someone very Young, or very Old in that Heavy of a SVU that's Top heavy no less. Ppl crash on flat dry roads everyday. Like I said before, you don't have to be ill-responsible or a retard to make a mistake. Who does not?
Again, per the Sheriff he was going roughly 85mph. I agree that we all speed, I know I do. But Tiger's car did not get to that speed on its own. Driving at that kind of speed on a highway is one thing, driving at close to 90mph on a regular road in a residential area is reckless and irresponsible.

Here's the location of the crash. This wasn't a freeway. it was a residential area.

Location of Tiger's accident
Old 04-08-21, 11:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They especially wait for the guy who's name is on the golf tourney.

Quick Reply: Tiger woods accident update