Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tiger woods accident update

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 11:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Again, per the Sheriff he was going roughly 85mph. I agree that we all speed, I know I do. But Tiger's car did not get to that speed on its own. Driving at that kind of speed on a highway is one thing, driving at close to 90mph on a regular road in a residential area is reckless and irresponsible.

Here's the location of the crash. This wasn't a freeway. it was a residential area.

Location of Tiger's accident
"possible" path? I know it's fun to speculate, but do we need to do so to the level of fabricated diagrams?
Old 04-08-21, 12:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
"possible" path? I know it's fun to speculate, but do we need to do so to the level of fabricated diagrams?
They were in the car with him. They have the whole story and know exactly what happened and his mental and physical status thoughts and everything.

I'm certain they all know the Hyundai Truck could have not possibly had any kind of failure cause. We do know the Police never ever make mistakes either.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-08-21 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 12:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The falling asleep thing sounds ridiculous. He had just left his home a few minutes prior. That means he was up, awake, and starting his day. Falling asleep at the wheel almost always happens after a long day, driving at night, or after hours behind the wheel. Not when you have just woken up and started your trip.

Old 04-08-21, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The falling asleep thing sounds ridiculous. He had just left his home a few minutes prior. That means he was up, awake, and starting his day. Falling asleep at the wheel almost always happens after a long day, driving at night, or after hours behind the wheel. Not when you have just woken up and started your trip.
if he wasn't asleep, and because there were NO SKID MARKS, how do you explain him going 85mph in a 45 zone? If he was trying to make up time? Perhaps. If he was asleep? Seems very likely if it's down hill there and there were no skid marks. Distracted driving? Also seems very likely if that picture/path is close to accurate and it can't be far off because we know where the car ended up, we know where he was coming from, and we know, again, THERE WERE NO SKID MARKS, so a straight path missing the curve entirely makes sense to me. You do that if you're not looking or you're not awake/conscious or you're suicidal.

whatever the cause, i'm not 'convicting' tiger because we've all driven at times in ways that were not appropriate, or driven tired, etc. but i do think he would do the world a great favor by telling us what happened and making it clear that NO ONE is above serious consequences for distracted, unconscious, or reckless driving.

and this hits close to home because my gf's son, just before his 24th birthday, died jan 2018 on an interstate, with no skid marks, on a curve, going off the road in a straight line, and unlike tiger, he didn't survive. We believe he fell asleep.
Old 04-08-21, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

That depends on how well you slept the night before...I am not a morning person, and when I get up early in the morning I am VERY tired.
Old 04-08-21, 03:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

How do you know when he woke up? Maybe he was up all night playing GTA? And then decided to drive like he was still in the game?
​​​​​​​
Or maybe he ran 10 miles early in the morning and was exhausted.

Or maybe he has narcolepsy.

We can all make up facts which the public doesn't know.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-08-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i do think he would do the world a great favor by telling us what happened and making it clear that NO ONE is above serious consequences for distracted, unconscious, or reckless driving.
I do, too, but it's possible (?) that he has some brain damage or memory-loss from an impact that severe....particularly if he was sitting very close to those air bags when they fired and smacked him in the head or face. Sadly, that might mean the end of his golfing career...I hope not, but we'll see. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus showed the world just how long a golfing career can be that is not interrupted or halted by an event such as this.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 04:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

New York Post : Tiger Woods had unlabeled pill bottle in SUV during car crash, was 'somewhat combative'.
https://nypost.com/2021/04/08/tiger-...hat-combative/
Old 04-08-21, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^^ From the article that Bitkhuna posted:

Authorities said the accident didn’t warrant charges or citations for speeding or reckless driving because there weren’t any witnesses and no one else was hurt.
That might explain at least some questions why the authorities are treating the case like they are.

As I reflect on this crash, one thing I'm really glad of is that the vehicle didn't catch fire. Too many accidents like this end up being Roman Candles....although modern vehicles, at least those of American-spec, have an automatic shut-off-valve that cuts fuel to the engine in a high-G-impact.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-21 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

New York Post : Tiger Woods had unlabeled pill bottle in SUV during car crash, was 'somewhat combative'.
Classic tabloid headline. From the report:

“Captain Levesque told me that [Woods] was somewhat combative when they were trying to treat him on scene,” the detective wrote in the report.

“Levesque stated everything that he observed related to [Woods’] vital signs and combativeness was consistent with the type of traumatic injury,” the athlete suffered, the report added.
in other words, behaving that way is very common.
Old 04-08-21, 08:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^^ From the article that Bitkhuna posted:

That might explain at least some questions why the authorities are treating the case like they are.

As I reflect on this crash, one thing I'm really glad of that the vehicle didn't catch fire. Too many accidents like this end up being Roman Candles....although modern vehicles, at least those of American-spec, have an automatic shut-off-valve that cuts fuel to the engine in a high-G-impact.
I think Mercedes was the 1st to do the fuel shut off. It also cut off Fuel for any damaged or broken off fuel lines. They had that as a Safety feature at least back to 2005 or earlier.
Old 04-09-21, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Oh good. The pillar of Western Journalism .... the NY Post.
Old 04-09-21, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, surely the last bastion of truth and fairness lol
Old 04-09-21, 10:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I trust them about as much or more then the majority of the mainstream "news" networks/papers.
Old 04-09-21, 11:12 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Look at how the headline vs the article details and explanation contradict themselves. LOL!

Quick Reply: Tiger woods accident update