Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tiger woods accident update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 11:45 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tiger woods accident update

Tiger Woods was speeding when he crashed his sport-utility vehicle in February, reaching speeds of more than 80 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone on winding road near Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva.

Villanueva said Woods was traveling between 84 and 87 miles per hour when he lost control, crossing over a median and hitting the curb on the opposite of the road. The vehicle struck a tree at an estimated 75 m.p.h. and was sent airborne, eventually stopping in some brush.

“The primary causal factor for this traffic collision was driving at a speed unsafe for the road conditions and the inability to negotiate the curve of the roadway,” said Villanueva.

Woods was not cited for driving too fast and no criminal charges will be filed, Villanueva said. He added that there were no signs of impairment or intoxication, and that Woods was wearing his seatbelt.
The captain of the Lomita Sheriff’s Station, James Powers, said that data was obtained from the vehicle’s event data recorder, known colloquially as the black box. The data showed that Woods had hit the accelerator throughout the crash, and that the pressure applied to the pedal was 99 percent. Powers said he believed that Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator while trying to brake.
source
Closed thread

Last edited by babaijebu; 04-07-21 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added source
Old 04-07-21, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the update.

I don't buy the Mistake-Accelerator-for-Brake story. If one cannot figure out that they have hit the wrong pedal before accelerating from 45 to 85 MPH (a BIG gap), something is wrong.

I don't know about California law, but, in my state, that would get him an automatic Reckless Driving charge.....a serious offense.

As to why they don't want to file any charges, I won't speculate....could be anything from the fact that he is a celebrity to the fact that he's already suffered in the hospital (with his injuries) to even political reasons.
Old 04-07-21, 12:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd wager Wood's intentionally accelerated hard for the several seconds it takes to go from 45 to 85, just to see what the acceleration felt like on the new GV80. Unfortunately by the time he got to 85mph a curve came up that was too hard to negotiate. He deserves at least a speeding ticket.
Old 04-07-21, 01:36 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Based on what? The black box data? If so, that sort of sets a precedent and opens up a dangerous can of worms, IMO.
Old 04-07-21, 01:48 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ Based on what? The black box data? If so, that sort of sets a precedent and opens up a dangerous can of worms, IMO.
Just viewing the scene is enough to support a "driving too fast for conditions" charge. You don't have to prove that he was going 87mph.
Old 04-07-21, 02:11 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

At those speeds, he's lucky to have lived.
Old 04-07-21, 02:21 PM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It was said he was running late for something and at times was reportedly driving as fast as 87. Perhaps that reportedly was from data inside the car?
But it sounds like dude got in a hurry and just wiped out.

I know there are times I run my cruise control so I won't drive faster than I realize. With todays smooth rolling tires and quiet cabs it's easy to be running way over the speed limit without realizing it.

Get well soon Tiger

Old 04-07-21, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd wager Wood's intentionally accelerated hard for the several seconds it takes to go from 45 to 85, just to see what the acceleration felt like on the new GV80. Unfortunately by the time he got to 85mph a curve came up that was too hard to negotiate. He deserves at least a speeding ticket.
don't agree with that. i find it very suspicious if he had the accelerator at "99%" throughout the crash! here's my guess... he fell asleep and when he woke up at risk he went to hit the brake and in his drowsiness he his the gas and went flying off the road.

i suspect we will never really know what happened beyond what we've just learned (going too fast, foot on gas, crashed).

Originally Posted by Motorola
At those speeds, he's lucky to have lived.
absolutely!

Originally Posted by Bykfixer
I know there are times I run my cruise control so I won't drive faster than I realize. With todays smooth rolling tires and quiet cabs it's easy to be running way over the speed limit without realizing it.
Get well soon Tiger
agreed on both points.
Old 04-07-21, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not sure what you mean... the black box does record at least the last 30 seconds of driving data and potentially a lot more. with so many sensors and controls on cars, that can provide a ton of context.

Old 04-07-21, 02:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i thought the authorities said they couldn't release anything about the crash?
Old 04-07-21, 03:12 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure what you mean... the black box does record at least the last 30 seconds of driving data and potentially a lot more. with so many sensors and controls on cars, that can provide a ton of context.
The "a lot more" part I think is what concerns me a little. Depending on much history there on someone's personal car, and authorities use that to assess citations, fault, etc. someone could be judged more harshly - especially in "he said, she said" cases. Also, feels like that could open up the automakers to some degree if people start blaming the accuracy of the black box data.

How would you know the wheels weren't spinning at 87MPH while pinned against the tree?

i thought the authorities said they couldn't release anything about the crash?
The few things I read said they couldn't without consent from Tiger's people. Maybe they agreed because it's better PR to let the reason be known rather than let the media/people speculate...?

Last edited by 92 SC400; 04-07-21 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The "a lot more" part I think is what concerns me a little. Depending on much history there on someone's personal car, and authorities use that to assess citations, fault, etc. someone could be judged more harshly - especially in "he said, she said" cases.
i'd rather have data available than rely on what a person says "oh no office, i wasn't speeding" of course sometimes they have skidmarks etc to go on, but i'm absolutely fine with car data being used and this is nothing new, it's been used for accident forensics for many years now.

Also, feels like that could open up the automakers to some degree if people start blaming the accuracy of the black box data.
not likely i would say.

How would you know the wheels weren't spinning at 87MPH while pinned against the tree?
because there's gps data for one thing showing the car was MOVING or not. plus for all 4 wheels to be spinning at 87mph while the car is pinned against a tree would be quite a feat.

The few things I read said they couldn't without consent from Tiger's people. Maybe they agreed because it's better PR to let the reason be known rather than let the media/people speculate...?
makes sense.

i feel bad for tiger, unbelievable golfer, and smart guy generally, but should let someone else drive!!!! or hell, a helicopter! all that money and he has to do something like that.
Old 04-07-21, 05:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

don't agree with that. i find it very suspicious if he had the accelerator at "99%" throughout the crash! here's my guess... he fell asleep and when he woke up at risk he went to hit the brake and in his drowsiness he his the gas and went flying off the road.

i suspect we will never really know what happened beyond what we've just learned (going too fast, foot on gas, crashed).
I agree he was either sleeping or was on his phone - mashed the wrong pedal.
The guy is on a bunch of pain killers and other sleep medicine.

Given his history - I think there should have been some type of penalty.

Hopefully he can recover and play golf again to some degree.
Old 04-07-21, 05:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the update.

I don't buy the Mistake-Accelerator-for-Brake story. If one cannot figure out that they have hit the wrong pedal before accelerating from 45 to 85 MPH (a BIG gap), something is wrong.

I don't know about California law, but, in my state, that would get him an automatic Reckless Driving charge.....a serious offense.

As to why they don't want to file any charges, I won't speculate....could be anything from the fact that he is a celebrity to the fact that he's already suffered in the hospital (with his injuries) to even political reasons.
I don't think anyone thinks that TW didn't know which pedal was which. But in a panic situation, any person could intend to hit the brake and accidentally hit the gas. Which could easily be described by the shorthand "inadvertently" hit the accelerator for the brake.
Old 04-07-21, 07:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yep. This is, by far, the simplest and most probable explanation for me too.

Quick Reply: Tiger woods accident update