Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Freightliner electric semi and commercial trucks available to order

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Freightliner electric semi and commercial trucks available to order

Way back in 2018, Freightliner revealed that it was working on electric commercial trucks and that it would put a small fleet into service to test them. Three years, 38 trucks and nearly 750,000 miles later, the company has announced that it will start taking orders on its electric trucks with production beginning late next year. Two models are available: the Class 8 tractor eCascadia, and the medium-duty chassis cab eM2.

The eCascadia is available with a one or two motors with output ranging from 360 to 525 horsepower. It has a battery pack with 475 kWh of usable capacity that gives it an estimated range of 250 miles. It is capable of recharging to 80% in about 90 minutes. Those numbers outshine the Volvo VNR Electric, which in tractor form has a range of only 120 miles, and maximum horsepower is just 455 horsepower. It charges a bit faster, however, at 70 minutes for an 80% charge. The only cab option for the eCascadia is a day cab, just like the Volvo.

The smaller eM2 has a single motor, either a 180-horsepower or 300-horsepower unit. It features a smaller 315-kWh battery pack, but still has a range of about 230 miles. It can recharge a bit faster than the eCascadia reaching an 80% charge in an hour. The chassis cab version of the Volvo VNR Electric gets the full 455 horsepower from the tractor variant, but the 150-mile range is still quite a bit less than the Freightliner's.

Although the company will start taking orders, Freightliner hasn't yet announced pricing for the electric trucks. Besides the trucks themselves, Freightliner will also offer a service to help customers figure out how to best integrate the trucks and associated equipment into their companies.
Source
Old 04-09-21, 04:08 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

So in a strange twist of fate, Jerome Guillen (In charge of the Tesla Semi) used to head up the Freightshaker Cascadia diesel tractor program.
Old 04-10-21, 05:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

250 mile range (guarantee that’s liberal) and a 90 minute charge time each said 250 miles.

Lol truckers will not want these, these will fail dismally at least in the United States.

Most truckers are trying to get where they’re going as quickly as possible and not just for the drivers, either.
Old 04-10-21, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
250 mile range (guarantee that’s liberal) and a 90 minute charge time each said 250 miles.

Lol truckers will not want these, these will fail dismally at least in the United States.

Most truckers are trying to get where they’re going as quickly as possible and not just for the drivers, either.
‘And battery electrics vehicles range gets crappy when it gets cold out. These trucks will fail.
Old 04-10-21, 07:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘And battery electrics vehicles range gets crappy when it gets cold out. These trucks will fail.
Lol oh yeah. I’ve said this before, hate to be a broken record, but let’s see how these do chugging through mountains (or that horrendous road in Canada I think in BC) in the dead of winter versus modern diesels. Laughable. Thinking of the logistics for charging a semi every 200 miles for 90 minutes is even more ludicrous.
Old 04-10-21, 07:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

90 min charge time, only 250mile range on a full charge? What trucking company is going to spend all that money on such a compromised vehicle? Current trucks get about 2000 miles of range after filling up both 150gal tanks which takes under 20min to fill. I can't imagine how much these EV semi/comer trucks/batteries are going to cost either and how long are they going to last, current trucks/engines last around 1 million miles. Commercial/Semi trucks are the biggest polluters on the road by far and are really the vehicle they should be focusing on making cleaner instead of already clean private vehicles but this just won't cut it for the vast majority of companies/needs in trucking aside from very short rangers.
Old 04-10-21, 11:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
. Commercial/Semi trucks are the biggest polluters on the road by far and are really the vehicle they should be focusing on making cleaner instead of already clean private vehicles but th.
Let's not even get into ocean freighters.

15 of the largest of them combined produce as much emissions as all cars on the planet.

But yes CAFE try to take me out of my V8s and put me in a 4 cylinder E-Class for 65 grand. I drive like 3000 miles a year, my carbon footprint is very very light even driving V8s.
Old 04-11-21, 06:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

L

But yes CAFE try to take me out of my V8s and put me in a 4 cylinder E-Class for 65 grand. I drive like 3000 miles a year, my carbon footprint is very very light even driving V8s.
now 3 cylinder motors are becoming the norm as well.
Old 04-11-21, 08:02 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
now 3 cylinder motors are becoming the norm as well.
I rode in an Uber Mitsu with a 3 banger once. You could feel every time the crankshaft spun it felt like. Horrendous.
Old 04-11-21, 08:09 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I rode in an Uber Mitsu with a 3 banger once. You could feel every time the crankshaft spun it felt like. Horrendous.
Haha no kidding. Three cylinder motors are automotive misery. Really, I’d say the same for four cylinder motors as well.
Old 04-11-21, 08:22 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdls
Haha no kidding. Three cylinder motors are automotive misery. Really, I’d say the same for four cylinder motors as well.
Agree with you there, too.
Old 04-11-21, 10:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They will probably sell one of these, somewhere in San Francisco - to do a daily route of delivering fresh organic soy lattes from a sustainable local rooftop farm to the betamale basket weaving academy.
Old 04-12-21, 02:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I could see these doing reasonably well for local deliveries. I doubt if most local trucks do more than 250 miles in a day, and they can just recharge at night. I'm sure this would be the target of these trucks as they're obviously ill suited to long distance travel.
Old 04-12-21, 03:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I could see these doing reasonably well for local deliveries. I doubt if most local trucks do more than 250 miles in a day, and they can just recharge at night. I'm sure this would be the target of these trucks as they're obviously ill suited to long distance travel.
They shouldn't concentrate on these huge freightliners, but instead on smaller box trucks and vans. Most of them go on local deliveries that are rather short distance, and most of them are garage stored overnight where they can charge. For long haulers its just not going to work, they need to travel long distances, they need to be able to "idle" with AC or heat on when drivers sleep in the cab, and they require way too much space for charger ports.
Old 04-12-21, 03:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They shouldn't concentrate on these huge freightliners, but instead on smaller box trucks and vans. Most of them go on local deliveries that are rather short distance, and most of them are garage stored overnight where they can charge. For long haulers its just not going to work, they need to travel long distances, they need to be able to "idle" with AC or heat on when drivers sleep in the cab, and they require way too much space for charger ports.
At my work, we have a huge fleet of full sized trucks for local delivery and a box truck would never work. I'm not talking about UPS type stuff, I am talking distribution centers, like from local warehouses to individual grocery stores and things like that. They use full size trucks with up to 50' trailers on those, and those are just driving around locally within about a 30 mile radius. So I can see an electric truck with a 250 mile range being sufficient for a day of driving. Fully agree these would be useless long haul.

Quick Reply: Freightliner electric semi and commercial trucks available to order