Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hellcat leaving Cars & Coffee goes Horribly Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 08:27 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
It doesn't make sense to use all those horsepower on open street either.

I will just leave two quesitons in the room. You don't even need to answer them. Just run them through your brain and keep it like it. But is the Hellcat not massively overpowered for beeing street legal ? Does this "always more horsepower" car culture even make sense anymore ?
I have a few friends with cars which one thing you don't really want to do is go WOT under say 60mph lol. I remember learning that in a V12 bi-turbo...."let's floor it!" Oh wait, then we'll be sideways in a split second. Let's not.
Old 04-14-21, 12:51 PM
mthomp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroock639
especially knowing what i know now about insurance, depending on how much had to be paid out his rates could significantly increase just from that guy hitting him... which is kinda BS to me but that's how things work
And that's why the guy in the truck, along with his insurance company, will (should) sue the other driver and their insurance provider.
Old 04-14-21, 12:56 PM
mthomp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benoit
It doesn't make sense to use all those horsepower on open street either.

I will just leave two quesitons in the room. You don't even need to answer them. Just run them through your brain and keep it like it. But is the Hellcat not massively overpowered for beeing street legal ? Does this "always more horsepower" car culture even make sense anymore ?
Originally Posted by EZZ
Consumers will always want the choice of more horsepower and nothing is wrong with that. Just because 1 idiot crashed in the video doesn't mean most of the other owners aren't responsible. Most of the high horsepower cars are toys and the car companies love to sell expensive toys but thats what the market wants. The majority of the cars are appliances like the RX and Camry but not everyone wants an appliance.
So the question now is why can't more safety systems be in place? Tools that can't be turned off until sensors allow. A single example might be amount of horsepower (which is controlled by the red key) could be limited until sensor shows tire pressure and temperature are within certain levels.
Old 04-14-21, 02:40 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Your line of thought leads towards self-driving cars.

It's not the tool's fault, it's the driver's. Cars today have all kinds of safety systems to get you out of trouble when unexpected things happen while you're just commuting. Turning them off requires explicit action by the driver.
Old 04-14-21, 03:46 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Your line of thought leads towards self-driving cars.

It's not the tool's fault, it's the driver's. Cars today have all kinds of safety systems to get you out of trouble when unexpected things happen while you're just commuting. Turning them off requires explicit action by the driver.
The more advanced cars become, the more distracted the drivers get. Or in the case of the Dodge, the more complacent and prone to recklessness.
Old 04-14-21, 05:14 PM
kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Just because 1 idiot crashed in the video doesn't mean most of the other owners aren't responsible."
Lesson that NEEDS to be learned by all... Don't give up all freedoms/etc just because one idiot makes a poor decision!!! PLEASE, do not follow that logic, at least think about how terrible that could be if every time one idiot did something stupid and everyone had to loose out because of that one instance!
Ex: Guns, guy who eats too much McD's, alcohol(must be tax revenue here -- way too many examples on this alone), etc, etc, etc, etc
Old 04-15-21, 02:40 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by kLS400
"Just because 1 idiot crashed in the video doesn't mean most of the other owners aren't responsible."
Sorry, I missed the post that asserted this.
Lesson that NEEDS to be learned by all... Don't give up all freedoms/etc just because one idiot makes a poor decision!!! PLEASE, do not follow that logic, at least think about how terrible that could be if every time one idiot did something stupid and everyone had to loose out because of that one instance!
I doubt anyone will be inclined to "give up all freedoms" after viewing this video.
Ex: Guns, guy who eats too much McD's, alcohol(must be tax revenue here -- way too many examples on this alone), etc, etc, etc, etc
kLS400: While I get your point, your contentions and examples seem wildly exaggerated here. Take a deep breath and please give the public more credit in their response to an incident such as this. Nobody is coming to take away high HP vehicles, McD's, or alcohol.
Old 04-16-21, 09:37 AM
kLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Sorry, I missed the post that asserted this.

I doubt anyone will be inclined to "give up all freedoms" after viewing this video.

kLS400: While I get your point, your contentions and examples seem wildly exaggerated here. Take a deep breath and please give the public more credit in their response to an incident such as this. Nobody is coming to take away high HP vehicles, McD's, or alcohol.
Trust me, it is happening and has been happening, and if people are not aware, it will just continue. My examples are only examples to help clearly express my point... Look into current gun regulations that are looking to be passed, they are getting to sound very ridiculous and if people do not educate themselves, which many seem to lack that intelligence(not calling anyone dumb, just not well-informed on the subject), then more and more freedoms will continue to be lost due to wild exaggerations and inconsideration.