Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally drove an LX, and we’re buying it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21 | 01:43 PM
aabassi
Driver

Congrats! Looks like a beast and that seems like a great deal. Love Toyota/Lexus BOF SUV's. We've had our GX for a little and took it off roading this weekend; it was great! Can't imagine how the LX must feel.
Old 04-14-21 | 01:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aabassi
Congrats! Looks like a beast and that seems like a great deal. Love Toyota/Lexus BOF SUV's. We've had our GX for a little and took it off roading this weekend; it was great! Can't imagine how the LX must feel.
It's nice to see others who use these for what they're for also.

Obviously people can do what they want, but it's like.....hellooooo. How much R&D went into off road capability in ANY Toyota BOF? Let alone GX and LX.
Old 04-14-21 | 02:32 PM
aabassi
Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123

Obviously people can do what they want, but it's like.....hellooooo. How much R&D went into off road capability in ANY Toyota BOF? Let alone GX and LX.
Lolll right??? If you buy a GX/LX and never off road it you wasted your money. These trucks were designed around off roading! If you're not gonna use it, buy a crossover lol. Like you said, it's their money but just doesn't make any sense.

Here are some rough pics I snapped. Pretty light off roading lol but handled it like a champ! Would love to see pics in future of you off roading the LX.
Old 04-14-21 | 03:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aabassi
Lolll right??? If you buy a GX/LX and never off road it you wasted your money. These trucks were designed around off roading! If you're not gonna use it, buy a crossover lol. Like you said, it's their money but just doesn't make any sense.

Here are some rough pics I snapped. Pretty light off roading lol but handled it like a champ! Would love to see pics in future of you off roading the LX.
Suhweeet pics!!!!!

This was yesterday, I guess more mudding than technically off roading. But yes, I’m the guy who buys a Land Cruiser and takes it off road that same day. You only live once.

Then, knowing this will absolutely be a classic one day. What a great truck. Used 100 series and older LCs command crazy prices.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-14-21 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-14-21 | 03:35 PM
aabassi
Driver

Suhweeet pics!!!!!

This was yesterday, I guess more mudding than technically off roading. But yes, I’m the guy who buys a Land Cruiser and takes it off road that same day. You only live once.

Here it is in my driveway. Kind of a DB way to park lol but screw it and it being parked like that is the easiest way for me to get in and out from my house with my back surgery recovery.

We are both obsessed with this truck. My spouse can drive again without debilitating anxiety. While I’m just enjoying it for what it is mostly.

Then, knowing this will absolutely be a classic one day. What a great truck. Used 100 series and older LCs command crazy prices.
HAHA there you go! If it was my truck I'd do the same . My parents both love the GX, but I bet that LX is next level. Seems like the first and second row seats would be more comfortable in the LX. Looking forward to seeing more great pics as you get a chance to off road that monster more. Any plans for different tires/rims or a lift? I suppose the air suspension might eliminate need for a lift. We're still rolling on the OE Bridgestone Dueler HT tires but planning for some Pirelli Scorpion AT tires or something else slightly more aggressive.
Old 04-14-21 | 03:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

congraaaats!!!!!

a well deserved treat after your recent back ordeal not to mention #2020 in general.
Old 04-14-21 | 08:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

You should be glad he put stoptechs on, they make great products. If I buy a used car I have always found it better when the car was owned by an enthusiast that knows cars and knows how to treat the car the way it should be treated and it sounds like you found someone like that.
Old 04-14-21 | 08:47 PM
grabber2
Racer

Congrat! you going to love it.
Old 04-14-21 | 08:55 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

the offroad capabilities is what makes the BOF / solid axle judders and terrible MPGs worth it! unfortunately most of these do go way underused
Old 04-14-21 | 10:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the offroad capabilities is what makes the BOF / solid axle judders and terrible MPGs worth it! unfortunately most of these do go way underused
Oh I can all but guarantee yesterday was the most it’s ever been off pavement, haha.

That’s sad, truly. I sensed the Torsen diff working there for a minute yesterday when I gave it some gas in the dirt. Can’t wait to go back in a storm when it’s super duper slick and muddy.

Mileage is terrible but a badge of honor. It’s the same as the Yukon but with 100 more horsepower so nothing really to adjust to except still being shocked how fast a 6200lb tank can get out of the hole. The 5.7 is glorious.
Old 04-14-21 | 10:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

How is the paint on it, any swirls?
Old 04-14-21 | 11:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I can all but guarantee yesterday was the most it’s ever been off pavement, haha.

That’s sad, truly. I sensed the Torsen diff working there for a minute yesterday when I gave it some gas in the dirt. Can’t wait to go back in a storm when it’s super duper slick and muddy.

Mileage is terrible but a badge of honor. It’s the same as the Yukon but with 100 more horsepower so nothing really to adjust to except still being shocked how fast a 6200lb tank can get out of the hole. The 5.7 is glorious.
if you really want to appreciate the acceleration find a way to drive a 2016+ model with the 'updated' 8 speed, it's much more sluggish and kind of completely ruined the prior peppiness of the 6 speed it replaced (same for highlander, sienna, etc)... once you're on the move it gets better again but you don't get that initial satisfying oomph
Old 04-15-21 | 03:21 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Congrats on the LX570! The LX570 was always my favorite since like 2001 when it was still the 470, however now there are way too many SUVs to keep it from being called my favorite but still that is a beauty enjoy!
Old 04-18-21 | 02:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
How is the paint on it, any swirls?
Flawless. It’s been waxed recently. I’ll post some new pics soon! I need to take some pics of the slotted and drilled brake rotors too, they look sick. I wasn’t crazy about aftermarket brakes but the previous owner knew his stuff. The brakes feel amazing.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you really want to appreciate the acceleration find a way to drive a 2016+ model with the 'updated' 8 speed, it's much more sluggish and kind of completely ruined the prior peppiness of the 6 speed it replaced (same for highlander, sienna, etc)... once you're on the move it gets better again but you don't get that initial satisfying oomph
I haven’t driven one but I have read reviews that this 8spd just goes for the highest gear possible. Not that it won’t accelerate if you boot it, but the main focus is economy. My older one with the 6 speed auto, the damn thing holds onto gears the same way our IS350 did when it senses you’re driving fast! It’s not a sporty vehicle but it feels frisky and ready to go even with a lighter foot. You don’t have to give it much gas to get going briskly, at all. The 5.7 is a monster. A thirsty one but IDC.

Thanks again to everyone for the congrats! I’ll post some better pics soon.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-18-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-18-21 | 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Flawless. It’s been waxed recently. I’ll post some new pics soon! I need to take some pics of the slotted and drilled brake rotors too, they look sick. I wasn’t crazy about aftermarket brakes but the previous owner knew his stuff. The brakes feel amazing.
Lexus brakes suck. I always got the OEM brakes off of my Lexus cars after probably 15k miles, they were always warped, etc. I would view the aftermarket brakes as a benefit.

Quick Reply: Finally drove an LX, and we’re buying it.