Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally drove an LX, and we’re buying it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 06:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Finally drove an LX, and we’re buying it.

Well, funny how things work out. We had put one of these on the back burner and planned to wait a couple more years, (wanted new boat first, but with my back surgery that’s not happening this year) but I managed to snag this fully loaded 2014 with 107k miles for $33,500 cash. $35,9xx OTD. Should be ours as soon as I get a cashier’s check from the bank tomorrow morning.

I didn’t drive it too heavily tonight but oh I drove it enough to finally see what’s what. It didn’t really feel too trucky to me, honestly. Ridiculously comfortable and spacious. It felt like my LS430 but with firmer seats. The steering is glass smooth in it just like the LS. The engine sounds fabulous, plennnnty of power, and the throttle response shocked me. I figure this is for off roading and towing, truck stuff where an extremely precise throttle would be useful. (And this will be heavily used as a real truck.) Really, it was absolutely noticeable, the precise throttle tip in. LS430 you just sort of roll into the gas.

I’ll have way more once we take delivery. More pics to come. I wasn’t crazy about the mileage but when he said $33,500 that was it. With tax I’m probably looking at $35,5xx OTD. The fact that I could sell this in a year from now and probably make all my money back (but I won’t sell it, just obsessed with equity) is another reason I’m pulling the trigger.

It’s literally in 9.5 out of 10 condition all around. Southern truck. One owner, medical sales guy who traveled frequently so highway miles. It’s the same metallic silver color as my LS that they don’t make anymore. Black semi-aniline leather. Because it was a company car it was maintained like clockwork. All the fluids are new— coolant, new front and rear diff fluids, transfer case fluid, and the hydraulic fluid in the suspension that lifts and lowers the truck. Good Michelin tires, brakes felt nice, aligned, etc. Serviced every 5-7500k miles since new. To me all that basically cuts the mileage in half. It’s had a cushy life but it’s ready to get down and dirty and oh it will be doing that, I can guarantee, once I’m better.

Even comes with front window tint I would have had done, two keys, and a full tank of gas. NOT trying to throw pity party but this back surgery and recovery has been horrendous and a new-to-us truck will lift my spirits, retail-truck therapy helps. Not to mention it lowers and raises (with fresh new fluid) upon entry and exit which immensely will help as I continue to recover. (Suspension is set to low in this pic.)

I’ll have plenty more once we take delivery. I didn’t get to take it to highway speeds yet, but overall it sure drove and rode nice. This is a truck that I see us keeping for 20 years if not for life. 10 years from now people will be dying for these, imo at least.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-12-21 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

You won’t regret it. You will love it. Toyota/Lexus body,on frame models have some of the highest satisfaction ratings among owners. Torsen diff. Huge V8. Adaptive suspension. Air. Amazing stuff.
Old 04-12-21, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it. Although the roads in Tennessee, where you live, are generally not cratered like the surface of the moon, as in Michigan and the Snow Belt, a vehicle like the LX and its tough BOF construction and suspension will be ready for whatever potholes you do find. Since you are in Knoxville, some of the roads up in the nearby Smokies (outside of the well-maintained National Park) might be rough from those harsh mountain conditions.

As for the Cashier's Check, I won't pass judgement on your particular situation, but I haven't bought a vehicle with a cashier's check for decades. Probably at least the last 6-7 vehicles I've owned were all bought and paid for with a personal check right out of my checking account. While I understand that there are people who write bad checks (and it is considered a crime), I take the attitude that a dealership (or private-party) will not trust me, my signature, and my account, they probably don't deserve my business.

Also, since you are in Knoxville, here's a nice little tune from Steve Earle about some of the old traditions in the Smokies and around Knoxville. See if you can download and play it on that nice Lexus stereo.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 06:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, congrats, sounds like you finally got your dream car. Looks like a brand new car from the pictures you posted, I don't even see any curb rash on the wheels thanks to those fat tires. With the beefy suspension and big NA engine this truck can easily last for another 10 years relatively problem free.
Old 04-12-21, 07:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it. Although the roads in Tennessee, where you live, are generally not cratered like the surface of the moon, as in Michigan and the Snow Belt, a vehicle like the LX and its tough BOF construction and suspension will be ready for whatever potholes you do find. Since you are in Knoxville, some of the roads up in the nearby Smokies (outside of the well-maintained National Park) might be rough from those harsh mountain conditions.

As for the Cashier's Check, I won't pass judgement on your particular situation, but I haven't bought a vehicle with a cashier's check for decades. Probably at least the last 6-7 vehicles I've owned were all bought and paid for with a personal check right out of my checking account. While I understand that there are people who write bad checks (and it is considered a crime), I take the attitude that a dealership (or private-party) will not trust me, my signature, and my account, they probably don't deserve my business.

Also, since you are in Knoxville, here's a nice little tune from Steve Earle about some of the old traditions in the Smokies and around Knoxville. See if you can download and play it on that nice Lexus stereo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU
Lol thanks for the song and I will play it in your honor tomorrow. Love that song. I didn’t test the stereo yet, but verified everything is fine. I’ll be interested to see if this fancy “reference” ML beats the Bose in the old Yukon (it’s fantastic) which I’ll now be dumping to the highest bidder. I hear good things about it. I’m excited I finally can stream music from my phone and I assume I’m getting Bluetooth for calls? Lmao.

About the cashier’s check, seller wants it, even though yes, I’d just rather write him one.

Fully plan to pick up some Tundra 18s with off road tires for fun eventually to swap on and off. The stocks will handle whatever I throw at them for now. These are pretty unstoppable even on all seasons, which is impressive.

Originally Posted by Och
Hey, congrats, sounds like you finally got your dream car. Looks like a brand new car from the pictures you posted, I don't even see any curb rash on the wheels thanks to those fat tires. With the beefy suspension and big NA engine this truck can easily last for another 10 years relatively problem free.
Thabks! Yes I’m not lying, 9.5 out of 10 in every category. Some categories 10. It has the cleanest seats and interior I’ve seen and I’ve been looking at these for YEARS.

I’ll have more pics and better review after tomorrow.

$33,500. Love getting good deals.

I have a few ideas for a specialized license plate, wonder what you guys think.

My original idea was LXLUTHR. Not “LEX” but “LX”. Toyota truck people will get it.

Also considering “LNDCRUZ”, and even “12MPG” lol.
Old 04-12-21, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol thanks for the song and I will play it in your honor tomorrow. Love that song. I didn’t test the stereo yet, but verified everything is fine. I’ll be interested to see if this fancy “reference” ML beats the Bose in the old Yukon (it’s fantastic) which I’ll now be dumping to the highest bidder. I hear good things about it. I’m excited I finally can stream music from my phone and I assume I’m getting Bluetooth for calls? Lmao.

About the cashier’s check, seller wants it, even though yes, I’d just rather write him one.

Fully plan to pick up some Tundra 18s with off road tires for fun eventually to swap on and off. The stocks will handle whatever I throw at them for now. These are pretty unstoppable even on all seasons, which is impressive.

Thabks! Yes I’m not lying, 9.5 out of 10 in every category. Some categories 10. It has the cleanest seats and interior I’ve seen and I’ve been looking at these for YEARS.

I’ll have more pics and better review after tomorrow.

$33,500. Love getting good deals.

I have a few ideas for a specialized license plate, wonder what you guys think.

My original idea was LXLUTHR. Not “LEX” but “LX”. Toyota truck people will get it.

GLBLWRMR

10char
Old 04-12-21, 07:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

congrats that's awesome! the LX from this era just does pretty much everything right about being a great looking luxury 4x4... and this looks immaculate

i'm gonna need some more pics with the ride height further raised up
Old 04-12-21, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

ive.

I have a few ideas or a specialized license plate, wonder what you guys think.

‘what about:

MYTOY4X4
BOFV8
MAGNM57
Old 04-12-21, 07:44 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
i knew i recognized that song

guy in the suit is the town's mayor btw lol
Old 04-12-21, 07:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
congrats that's awesome! the LX from this era just does pretty much everything right about being a great looking luxury 4x4... and this looks immaculate

i'm gonna need some more pics with the ride height further raised up
I’ll have them. I fully tested the suspension and it works great. It helps me get in and out much much easier as I recover.

Still impressed with the throttle response how precise it was. That will come in handy off roading, on boat ramps, and towing.
Old 04-12-21, 07:58 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I’ll have them. I fully tested the suspension and it works great. It helps me get in and out much much easier as I recover.

Still impressed with the throttle response how precise it was. That will come in handy off roading, on boat ramps, and towing.
i've gotten to do a bunch of mixed miles with a 2015 land cruiser and it's an impressively nimble thing for how much heft it has
Old 04-12-21, 09:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i've gotten to do a bunch of mixed miles with a 2015 land cruiser and it's an impressively nimble thing for how much heft it has
I can’t waittttt to pick it up tomorrow and just drive it around for hours, seeing what I see.

Lexus stuff grows on you, too. I was much more in love with my LS430 a few weeks after I bought it than that day, after having time with it. With the high end Lexus cars there’s lots of little quirks and nice and thoughtful things you pick up on, not necc right away. For example, LX has the silent, expensive tilt and telescope motors the LS cars do. Get in a “cheap” Lexus and you clearly hear the motors.

The thing looks so bossy and I love that I found that color.
Old 04-12-21, 09:31 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Great buy, looks really clean. Any interior pics? I’ve always loved the exterior of that year LX, even more than the current model.
Old 04-12-21, 09:44 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Congratulations to many many more miles!!!
Old 04-13-21, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it.

Yeah I don't blame any seller for wanting a cashiers check. Why would some stranger trust your $35,000 check?

Quick Reply: Finally drove an LX, and we’re buying it.