Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 06:25 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to Lexus

I currently have a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. My wife has always wanted a Lexus. We are considering the NX or the NXh. When reading about the tech stuff in this vehicle it is nothing that my 2017 Escape has. We will wait for the rumoured 2022 NX for the updating and upgrading that has been proposed or guessed at my car forums. What makes the Lexus get the high ratings? Is it quality, reliability comfort as compared to other brands. How will it compare to my Escape? We haven’t test drove a Lexus yet as we are waiting for the new model.
Old 04-12-21, 06:42 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Tech isn't Lexus' strong point. Be prepared to be disappointed if you expect to be blown away.
Old 04-12-21, 08:35 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Yeah...I have been kind of disappointed from what I have read so far. Seems like the tech isn’t any different than any other vehicle. Maybe better for the price?
Old 04-12-21, 08:51 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Gramps7
I currently have a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. My wife has always wanted a Lexus. We are considering the NX or the NXh. When reading about the tech stuff in this vehicle it is nothing that my 2017 Escape has. We will wait for the rumoured 2022 NX for the updating and upgrading that has been proposed or guessed at my car forums. What makes the Lexus get the high ratings? Is it quality, reliability comfort as compared to other brands. How will it compare to my Escape? We haven’t test drove a Lexus yet as we are waiting for the new model.
No cable free Apple Car Play. ACP works fine, though, with 3” cable. Not a big deal for most.
Old 04-13-21, 04:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Gramps7
What makes the Lexus get the high ratings?
Every time I think about our 2017's, an ES and RX, not having Android Auto or the top infotainment system, I remind myself 9 out of the last 10 years #1 in reliability the other year #2, # 1 in customer loyalty, #1 in customer satisfaction, the lowest depreciation and by far the lowest in cost to maintain in the luxury class it reminds me of my great choices. No auto is going to be perfect for everyone. Every 30,000 miles it cost be under $700 to maintain both vehicles.
Old 04-13-21, 05:48 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Unfortunately, Lexus and tech don't belong in the same sentence, for now.
Old 04-13-21, 06:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Every time I think about our 2017's, an ES and RX, not having Android Auto or the top infotainment system,
I have Apple Car Play in my new Toyota. Overrated IMO I used in at a few times when I first got it and never again. I think the screens a little bit overrated as well.
Old 04-13-21, 07:03 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Carplay and android auto are about the most NOT underrated options that a car can have. The great thing is that both of these are available aftermarket - grom, lexion, anything else that I might have missed.

Otherwise, yes - Toyota/Lexus vehicles have historically been lacking with their infotainment "feature set".
Old 04-13-21, 07:25 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have Apple Car Play in my new Toyota. Overrated IMO I used in at a few times when I first got it and never again. I think the screens a little bit overrated as well.
Among many other new abilities, Apple Car Play enables me any spouse to get all my music “stations” through Pandora. Whole world of wonderful music of all genres. No longer need to subscribe to Sirius and will save that fee. Also use WAZE for GPS and several other applications. ACP is a big step forward—-take it from me, a 73 year old totally NOT tech guy! Just wish the cable connector weren’t required. Might have to buy the device to eliminate it, as it bothers me to see an exposed cable in my beautiful Lexus interior.
Old 04-13-21, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Among many other new abilities, Apple Car Play enables me any spouse to get all my music “stations” through Pandora. Whole world of wonderful music of all genres. No longer need to subscribe to Sirius and will save that fee. Also use WAZE for GPS and several other applications. ACP is a big step forward—-take it from me, a 73 year old totally NOT tech guy! Just wish the cable connector weren’t required. Might have to buy the device to eliminate it, as it bothers me to see an exposed cable in my beautiful Lexus interior.
I get it. I have Car Play too. I just don’t care for it very much. One of my biggest gripes is that I lose the factory navigation in my center speedometer cluster. And I lose the navigation prompts. I have the XM radio embedded, I like it. Don’t switch channels much and my subscription will be up so as it was free for a while, I think I’ll renew it.

I am happy you like it tho.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-13-21 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 07:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

NX is also at the end of its lifecycle. The new Venza at Toyota is a much better option right now, much better platform, etc, if you're considering the NXh and need something sooner rather than later.

Old 04-13-21, 09:03 AM
cp44
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Tech isn't the greatest but I don't use the Android Auto at all or whatever nannies it comes with. You buy it because its reliable, you don't have to worry about it not turning on the next day. The comfort, resale value, the lexus service and high build quality are reasons why you would buy a Lexus.
Old 04-13-21, 09:17 AM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. My last 2 Escapes have been trouble free however my wife has always wanted a Lexus and we will be in the financial situation to afford one. Will wait for the new NX to come out and try my luck..
Old 04-13-21, 11:30 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I would add ergonomics to the other advantages Lexus models often have relative to competitors.

I'd think we should get an official reveal fairly soon, which will help with the tech questions.
Old 04-13-21, 02:24 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Actually, one more thing about (most) Toyota/Lexus vehicles.

Their stability control tends to not be so good at helping the car get unstuck - watch some roller tests. The RX350, for example, doesn't appear to even attempt to block a wheel on a roller to move the car. The rav4 awd meanwhile has no such problems...

Quick Reply: New to Lexus