Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought my First Ever American Made Car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 03:05 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bought my First Ever American Made Car!

I'm a Lexus loyalist (currently own 3), but did something I never thought I'd do and bought an American made car. In the 20+ cars I've owned over the past ~15 years, all have either been Japanese (90% of them Lexus) or German. I've documented in different posts on here about my hunt for a clean LX470 over the last couple of years, and after seeing prices climb on all examples, even those with 200k+ miles, I decided to give up the hunt. I couldn't fathom paying $20-25k for a 15 year old car with 200k miles. Anything in remotely good condition from a non-snow/salt state with under 100k miles is fetching even crazier prices. So with the LX off my list, I started looking into other SUVs. I considered an RX, but it was too small for what I wanted. I looked into the Infiniti QX56, but couldn't find a low mileage example or one that wasn't completely trashed. Mercedes GL or BMW X5 didn't do anything for me + reliability issues and maintenance kept me away. So all that was left in my mind was an American made SUV. I browsed all the auto sites obsessively, but nothing was really catching my eye.

That changed last week when I was doing my obsessive hourly check on Craigslist to see what had newly popped up for sale. I saw something I never thought I'd consider - a 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum. The pictures were horrible and there were only 4 of them, but the low mileage (86K) and one owner status piqued my interests. I emailed and went to look at it the next day. Everything checked out with the car. It was truly a one owner car. The owner kept everything down to the original window sticker and purchase order. This thing had cost them $77k OTD back in 2005. The Platinum Edition was the top of the line model for the Escalade and has some features some new cars don't even have like heated/cooled REAR seats and heated/cooled cup holders (gimmicky, I'm sure). Picked up the truck yesterday and am so far very impressed. Drives extremely comfortable and masks how big this thing actually is - it's practically a bus. Interior is good quality - nothing like a Lexus, as most parts are GM bin parts used across many models, but still very nice for what it is. I don't think it's $77k nice, but for what I paid I'm happy. I'm not sure what the reliability will look like, as I've read mixed reviews, but since it's a GM car, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix whatever goes wrong. The prior owner took very good care of it and fixed anything that needed to be done, so that was a plus. I can only find one other ESV Platinum for sale in the US with under 100k miles and it's quite a bit more than I paid for this one, so I'm overall very satisfied. My Lexus' won't be going anywhere, though. This will just be an occasional driver and used to tow if/when I get the trailer I've been searching for. Here's a pic of it today. Will be getting a full detail later this week and can post more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing more.

Old 04-13-21, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations......best of luck wth it.

How do the brakes feel? Many of the large GM full-sized trucks and SUVs of tis vintage tended to have weak and/or unreliable brakes. From what I remember, that changed in 2007, when the entire line-up was redesigned.
Old 04-13-21, 03:50 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

For one to truly understand one's love for Lexus, one must own the competition for a while. After one experiences enough repair bills and general annoyances of vehicles that are not as well built, one may come running back to Lexus with a newfound appreciation.

Are there other reliable brands? Yes, Honda, Mazda, to name a couple. Is there anecdotal evidence of people having good luck with Cadillacs? Likely, although I haven't personally heard any. Are all Lexus vehicles great? No, Lexus seems to be losing touch with its customers and is falling behind in the ICE arena, but most think it is because they are turning their focus to EV's.

Last edited by Wilson2000; 04-13-21 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-21, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Are there other reliable brands? Yes, Honda,
At one time, Honda and Acura wrote the book on assembly-quality, and coming from the factory screwed-together like an Swiss Watch. But, since then, various transmission problems, and a general cheapening of their design and materials have tarnished the brand somewhat. The brand, as a whole, has dropped significantly in Consumer Reports reliability ratings. The 2012 Civic was so cheap inside, and the public reception of it so bad, that Honda was forced to do an emergency redesign of the interior within just 12 months....almost unheard of.

Lexus seems to be losing touch with its customers and is falling behind in the ICE arena, but most think it is because they are turning their focus to EV's.
From what I can remember, Lexus products started losing their luster about 15 or so years ago, with the 2006-2007 models....that's when the noticeable cost-cutting started.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 06:41 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. My mom had a black Platinum Escalade like that for ten years. It was pretty reliable until the transmission randomly blew at 120,000 miles. She sold it right after the transmission was swapped.

This body style was so iconic back when these were new. They were everywhere in music videos, movies, and on TV. I think this body aged really well compared to the 07-13 Escalade.
Old 04-13-21, 06:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I'm a Lexus loyalist (currently own 3), but did something I never thought I'd do and bought an American made car. In the 20+ cars I've owned over the past ~15 years, all have either been Japanese (90% of them Lexus) or German. I've documented in different posts on here about my hunt for a clean LX470 over the last couple of years, and after seeing prices climb on all examples, even those with 200k+ miles, I decided to give up the hunt. I couldn't fathom paying $20-25k for a 15 year old car with 200k miles. Anything in remotely good condition from a non-snow/salt state with under 100k miles is fetching even crazier prices. So with the LX off my list, I started looking into other SUVs. I considered an RX, but it was too small for what I wanted. I looked into the Infiniti QX56, but couldn't find a low mileage example or one that wasn't completely trashed. Mercedes GL or BMW X5 didn't do anything for me + reliability issues and maintenance kept me away. So all that was left in my mind was an American made SUV. I browsed all the auto sites obsessively, but nothing was really catching my eye.

That changed last week when I was doing my obsessive hourly check on Craigslist to see what had newly popped up for sale. I saw something I never thought I'd consider - a 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum. The pictures were horrible and there were only 4 of them, but the low mileage (86K) and one owner status piqued my interests. I emailed and went to look at it the next day. Everything checked out with the car. It was truly a one owner car. The owner kept everything down to the original window sticker and purchase order. This thing had cost them $77k OTD back in 2005. The Platinum Edition was the top of the line model for the Escalade and has some features some new cars don't even have like heated/cooled REAR seats and heated/cooled cup holders (gimmicky, I'm sure). Picked up the truck yesterday and am so far very impressed. Drives extremely comfortable and masks how big this thing actually is - it's practically a bus. Interior is good quality - nothing like a Lexus, as most parts are GM bin parts used across many models, but still very nice for what it is. I don't think it's $77k nice, but for what I paid I'm happy. I'm not sure what the reliability will look like, as I've read mixed reviews, but since it's a GM car, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix whatever goes wrong. The prior owner took very good care of it and fixed anything that needed to be done, so that was a plus. I can only find one other ESV Platinum for sale in the US with under 100k miles and it's quite a bit more than I paid for this one, so I'm overall very satisfied. My Lexus' won't be going anywhere, though. This will just be an occasional driver and used to tow if/when I get the trailer I've been searching for. Here's a pic of it today. Will be getting a full detail later this week and can post more pictures if anyone is interested in seeing more.

‘Nice pick up. Have you ever had a body on frame SUV before? They are awesome and absorb so much of the road. I think yours has all kinds of fancy shocks etc. Did you get awd?
Old 04-13-21, 06:46 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Solid choice. I've had a 2003 Tahoe since new. Lot's of parts available and easy to work on.
Just stay up with the maintenance.
Old 04-13-21, 08:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice Cadillac!!! That generation of GMT 800 pickups/SUV are known to wear like cast iron pans, all the mechanical bits are solid(except for that damn 4L60e trans on 1/2 ton models, but even a rebuild on one of those is like $1500).

In fact a lot of Chevy guys like this gen better than the newer GMT900 trucks, because those had crap motors with AFM(cylinder deactivation) that crapped out, not sure of the specifics but to fix the AFM problems required pulling the cylinder heads and several thousand dollars worth of work, what to save you 1-2mpg, but that extra gas would have been much cheaper than rebuilding half the engine.

As far as Cadillac "cars" go, the only ones worth a damn IMO are 1990's Brougham and Fleetwoods with Chevrolet 350 V8's in them. Or the CTS-V cars with LS V8's. Everything else Cadillac has made in the past 25 years in terms of "sedan" has a junk motor under the hood. Northstar V8 blows headgaskets, GM's corporate 3.6 DOHC eats timing chains, I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder Cadillac, even one with a turbo. I mean why even offer a 4 cylinder if Cadillac is supposed to be a "step up"
Old 04-13-21, 11:37 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations......best of luck wth it.

How do the brakes feel? Many of the large GM full-sized trucks and SUVs of tis vintage tended to have weak and/or unreliable brakes. From what I remember, that changed in 2007, when the entire line-up was redesigned.
So far the brakes feel fine. Took it on a 100 mile trip today and am very impressed. Truly doesn't feel as big as it is while out on the road.

Originally Posted by Kira X
Congratulations on the purchase. My mom had a black Platinum Escalade like that for ten years. It was pretty reliable until the transmission randomly blew at 120,000 miles. She sold it right after the transmission was swapped.

This body style was so iconic back when these were new. They were everywhere in music videos, movies, and on TV. I think this body aged really well compared to the 07-13 Escalade.
Thank you! I showed a friend today and they, too, commented on how well this body style aged. You're correct this body style was iconic and was everywhere - don't see that anymore with the Escalade, though I do really like the new ones. Fingers crossed I don't have any transmission issues.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Nice pick up. Have you ever had a body on frame SUV before? They are awesome and absorb so much of the road. I think yours has all kinds of fancy shocks etc. Did you get awd?
Never have had one and am loving how it drives. All the Platinum ESV models came with AWD. Yes, this has the "auto ride" suspension, as well as the automatic rear leveling and stabilitrack. It rides amazing and absorbs all the imperfections with ease.
Old 04-14-21, 06:46 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Great looking ride in amazing condition, can't wait to see the interior pics when you are able to show them!
These older GM's are actually pretty reliable (main components like powertrain) and the cost to repair/replace is pretty reasonable. Congrats, a great looking side vehicle =)
Old 04-14-21, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Everything else Cadillac has made in the past 25 years in terms of "sedan" has a junk motor under the hood. Northstar V8 blows headgaskets, GM's corporate 3.6 DOHC eats timing chains, I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder Cadillac, even one with a turbo. I mean why even offer a 4 cylinder if Cadillac is supposed to be a "step up"
The older 3.6L V6s had problems. The newer 3.6Ls are quite well-done....IMO one of the best powerplants in its class.
Old 04-14-21, 07:17 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

As far as Cadillac "cars" go, the only ones worth a damn IMO are 1990's Brougham and Fleetwoods with Chevrolet 350 V8's in them. Or the CTS-V cars with LS V8's. Everything else Cadillac has made in the past 25 years in terms of "sedan" has a junk motor under the hood. Northstar V8 blows headgaskets, GM's corporate 3.6 DOHC eats timing chains, I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder Cadillac, even one with a turbo. I mean why even offer a 4 cylinder if Cadillac is supposed to be a "step up"
i still laugh about the HT4100.
Old 04-14-21, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Great choice! Congrats!
Old 04-14-21, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As far as Cadillac "cars" go, the only ones worth a damn IMO are 1990's Brougham and Fleetwoods with Chevrolet 350 V8's in them. Or the CTS-V cars with LS V8's.
I tend to agree with you. Cadillac lost its way when they abandoned their traditional customers and started chasing after BMW. Fortunately, the Escalade's more or less additional design holds onto at least some of those customers.
Old 04-15-21, 03:18 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow congrats that Escalade still looks super clean! Still looks fresh ! love it

Quick Reply: Bought my First Ever American Made Car!