Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for some opinion on 20/21 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 10:22 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2016 GX Luxury and 2019 X5 50i. While I love the GX, the better daily for myself is the X5. If you do a lot of long trips, the tech features are great if you get the Driver Assistance Package, where it'll drive hands-free for you in traffic. X5 is solidly built as the GX.
I will say, I don't know how the GX handles an accident but I was hit high speed by a drunk driver in the X5 and it faired well. Thankful for all the safety tech that the GX does not offer.

Old 04-20-21, 05:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
I have a 2016 GX Luxury and 2019 X5 50i. While I love the GX, the better daily for myself is the X5. If you do a lot of long trips, the tech features are great if you get the Driver Assistance Package, where it'll drive hands-free for you in traffic. X5 is solidly built as the GX.
I will say, I don't know how the GX handles an accident but I was hit high speed by a drunk driver in the X5 and it faired well. Thankful for all the safety tech that the GX does not offer.
Just wanted to clarify/add, the Driver Assistance Professional package offers a hands-free mode, under 40 miles per hour only I believe. And does have the driver attention sensors to make sure you're still paying attention and looking ahead.
Old 04-20-21, 09:30 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn

Looking good. That's great to hear from a GX owner. Did you happen to test 20"? The car I had has these 21". It's nice and smooth but I wonder how it's compared to 20".

Originally Posted by pbm317
Just wanted to clarify/add, the Driver Assistance Professional package offers a hands-free mode, under 40 miles per hour only I believe. And does have the driver attention sensors to make sure you're still paying attention and looking ahead.
Thanks. I'm not a big fan of hand free but it's great to know that it has the feature. I would need for high speed cruising though.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you sell it before the warranty expires/can afford it along with the brutal depreciation hit, I'd say go for it. Maybe leasing it is the smart way to go, run the numbers vs buying it outright. Its a great car on paper, drives great, fast, lots of room, latest tech, has a great AWD system. Just keep in mind anything BMW is basically a codpiece, its designed to inflate the 1st owner's ego/sense of self worth and last about as long as their attention span until its attracted to that next shiny piece of steel 2 or 3 years later. Once its out of warranty it will become a self destructing money pit, some BMW's are that way straight out from the factory(mainly twin turbo V8 cars). Just know what you are getting into is my best advice.
Thanks. I don't plan to keep it long, maybe 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Great vehicle, I would go for it without reservation.
I remember reading a post from you a while back and you said, if I remember correctly, your buddy had it or test drove it and it was a great vehicle. Was it this gen or previous gen?

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Part of the fun with BMW compared to other brands is they encourage you to custom order and will lock-in your pricing until car arrives. Since X5 is built in SC - it should be 4week turnaround.
I’m sure they have strict Covid protocols for Perf Delivery but even if you don’t do that - I HIGHLY recommend doing custom order to get exact colors and options you want.
Yes, it's 3-4 weeks to build.

Originally Posted by Och
Not yet, I just heard about it about a week ago. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but would you mind posting a photo of your top down camera at night?
Hijacking is welcome. Good to know too.
Old 04-20-21, 09:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With the X5, there are different engine options, the 40i, m50i and the full x5m. A lot of suspension options, and a lot of interior options as well. Get the upgraded leather at the very minimum, base leather is grainy and feels cheap.
Old 04-20-21, 09:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you sell it before the warranty expires/can afford it along with the brutal depreciation hit, I'd say go for it. Maybe leasing it is the smart way to go, run the numbers vs buying it outright. Its a great car on paper, drives great, fast, lots of room, latest tech, has a great AWD system. Just keep in mind anything BMW is basically a codpiece, its designed to inflate the 1st owner's ego/sense of self worth and last about as long as their attention span until its attracted to that next shiny piece of steel 2 or 3 years later. Once its out of warranty it will become a self destructing money pit, some BMW's are that way straight out from the factory(mainly twin turbo V8 cars). Just know what you are getting into is my best advice.
Deleted...
Old 04-20-21, 09:52 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
With the X5, there are different engine options, the 40i, m50i and the full x5m. A lot of suspension options, and a lot of interior options as well. Get the upgraded leather at the very minimum, base leather is grainy and feels cheap.
You're forgetting the 45e as well
Old 04-20-21, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I remember reading a post from you a while back and you said, if I remember correctly, your buddy had it or test drove it and it was a great vehicle. Was it this gen or previous gen?
I know people with this gen, last gen, I drove this gen and the X7. All are happy.
Old 04-20-21, 11:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I'm not a big fan of hand free but it's great to know that it has the feature. I would need for high speed cruising though.
The adaptive cruise function and the active lane keep assist do work for higher speeds, just as an assist system. Driver to keep hands on wheel. Still part of that optional Driver Assistance Professional Package.
Old 04-20-21, 12:06 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
X5 is core product for the brand. I am sure it will be pretty good. after warranty will likely be expensive to maintain GX is in a whole different category IMO

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I know people with this gen, last gen, I drove this gen and the X7. All are happy.
Thanks. Good to know.
Originally Posted by pbm317
The adaptive cruise function and the active lane keep assist do work for higher speeds, just as an assist system. Driver to keep hands on wheel. Still part of that optional Driver Assistance Professional Package.
After the first drive from the dealership to home, I was disappointed/turned off by the steering wheel's intervention. I wasn't even off the lane, only going into a curve and the car tried to take over. Maybe because I never had this feature before but it scared the heck out of me. I went home, did some search and learned that you can adjust/turn it off. I changed to "reduced" and it's much better. I really like the adaptive cruise function on the rx over the gx's so this may be a big plus for me when cruising.

The GX started to fade away in my mind now. It's funny I'm convinced to leave the GX by a Lexus site . Thanks for all the feedbacks.
Old 04-20-21, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

After the first drive from the dealership to home, I was disappointed/turned off by the steering wheel's intervention. I wasn't even off the lane, only going into a curve and the car tried to take over. Maybe because I never had this feature before but it scared the heck out of me. I went home, did some search and learned that you can adjust/turn it off. I changed to "reduced" and it's much better. I really like the adaptive cruise function on the rx over the gx's so this may be a big plus for me when cruising.
You got it? Congrats!!

Thats just kinda how that feature is, I always turn it off.

Have you tried the backup assist where it will back itself out of an area for 160 feet?
Old 04-20-21, 12:47 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good. That's great to hear from a GX owner. Did you happen to test 20"? The car I had has these 21". It's nice and smooth but I wonder how it's compared to 20".
I did not. I knew I wanted the larger wheels so I just didn't bother.
Old 04-21-21, 10:45 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMWs are great as long as you are willing to sell it at a significant loss before the warranty expires.
Old 04-21-21, 11:36 AM
RonmQdTy8F
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Just ordered a BMW X5

After a lot of research and test driving i decided to order the BMW X5. I do not like the current Lexus RX and they will not be redesigning it till 2023 not worth the wait. The BMW X5 is head and shoulders above the Lexus RX drove exceptionally well and it is quiet and stylish. BMW includes a lot standard that Lexus lists as options. The BMW X5 also received a 98 on the road test with Consumer's Reports the Lexus RX got a 77 they said the X5 was one of the best Midsized Luxury SUV's they have ever tested. Buy it! i did.
Old 04-21-21, 03:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
BMWs are great as long as you are willing to sell it at a significant loss before the warranty expires.
largely a myth as most people lease.

Originally Posted by RonmQdTy8F
After a lot of research and test driving i decided to order the BMW X5. ... The BMW X5 is head and shoulders above the Lexus RX drove exceptionally well and it is quiet and stylish.
the X5 is also a lot more expensive, but congrats!

Old 04-21-21, 03:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
largely a myth as most people lease.
If leasing then its not an issue, but owning a BMW is very expensive. An used BMW will often cost more in maintenance and repairs than leasing a brand new one, I know first hand.

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinion on 20/21 BMW X5