Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for some opinion on 20/21 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 10:11 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Looking for some opinion on 20/21 BMW X5

Hello,
I did some extended test driving and am considering this vehicle. I tried some searches and it popped up here and there on here but not a lot details. Cars and drivers rated 9.5/10 but I'm not sure if they are biased. They also ranked it #3 on their Mid Size Luxury list where GX is at #28 (last). The car drives great with lots of up to date features. I'm not really into the high tech features but they are certainly nice to have. I don't plan to keep this car long, maybe 3 years most. It will be my daily drive and family hauler on long trips to replace the GX. GX and X5 are a lot different and X5 offers a lot more "daily driving experience". With some minor changes, the GX looks a bit better now with 19" and new face. But inside it's pretty much the same with a few added features. I'm more towards the X5 but somehow still have that "love" for the GX that I can't let go. With the GX, every time we're out for a long trip, we never have to think about being stuck on the side of the road. This is what bothers us most when we think about making the switch. Maybe this is no longer the case? Please share your knowledge and experiences.
Thanks.

Last edited by 1111GS; 04-19-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 10:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We had a 2019 X5, so same generation, and it was terrific. I don't think any recent BMW is going to leave you stranded. That goes for nearly any modern new vehicle these days.

GX value proposition may go higher for extended term ownership, well beyond a 5-6 year cycle, or possibly if towing is needed. But there's a lot to give up in terms of day to day dynamics over something like an X5.

Old 04-19-21, 10:56 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the reply. Did you have any of the listed issues listed on edmunds? How was it?

2020 BMW X5 xDrive40i: Maintenance

So far, so good; no major issues or malfunctions have arisen. However, there have been a few new recalls in 2021:

Recalls performed on this vehicle

• Rearview camera image may malfunction

• Right front brake disc may loosen

• Loose steering column shaft

• NEW! Front axle/right control arm not welded properly

• Extra bolt incorrectly attached to starter motor

Old 04-19-21, 10:59 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

The 4th generation X5 (2019-current) is one of BMW's best vehicles all around. Smooth / refined, nice cabin materials, tech laden, good choice of powertrains, suspension is dialed in right etc.. I'm a big fan. They can get pricey though.
Old 04-19-21, 11:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If you haven't already you might want to look at a BMW forum (Bimmerpost and Bimmerfest are pretty active) for some additional owner experiences. I had the rearview camera recall done on both of our cars. It's a software fix that didn't take too long. I wasn't having any problems with them, but they do it anyway.
Old 04-19-21, 11:11 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Get the X5 and make sure you do Performance Center Delivery.
Its a superior vehicle in every way over GX.
Old 04-19-21, 02:48 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 4th generation X5 (2019-current) is one of BMW's best vehicles all around. Smooth / refined, nice cabin materials, tech laden, good choice of powertrains, suspension is dialed in right etc.. I'm a big fan. They can get pricey though.
Thanks for the feedback, man.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you haven't already you might want to look at a BMW forum (Bimmerpost and Bimmerfest are pretty active) for some additional owner experiences. I had the rearview camera recall done on both of our cars. It's a software fix that didn't take too long. I wasn't having any problems with them, but they do it anyway.
Thanks. I did look around bm forums before posting. Even though this is a lexus site, we have a good number of car guys here and I feel I can trust the feedback from here more.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Get the X5 and make sure you do Performance Center Delivery.
Its a superior vehicle in every way over GX.
Is that event for builds only? With covid, I may just find one locally. Thanks.
Old 04-19-21, 02:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The X5 is a superior vehicle to the GX in every way. The latest version of iDrive is a bloated and can be overwhelming, so that's something to be aware of. Not sure if you are buying or leasing, but short term there aren't really any reliability concerns. Also, depending on the options you select it can get very pricy. If you are not doing a custom order, try to get the best equipped one and see if you can get a discount.
Old 04-19-21, 02:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

What did the fix do exactly? I find that in my X6M the top down camera view is too dark, pretty much useless.
Old 04-19-21, 03:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Hello,
I did some extended test driving and am considering this vehicle. I tried some searches and it popped up here and there on here but not a lot details. Cars and drivers rated 9.5/10 but I'm not sure if they are biased. They also ranked it #3 on their Mid Size Luxury list where GX is at #28 (last). The car drives great with lots of up to date features. I'm not really into the high tech features but they are certainly nice to have. I don't plan to keep this car long, maybe 3 years most. It will be my daily drive and family hauler on long trips to replace the GX. GX and X5 are a lot different and X5 offers a lot more "daily driving experience". With some minor changes, the GX looks a bit better now with 19" and new face. But inside it's pretty much the same with a few added features. I'm more towards the X5 but somehow still have that "love" for the GX that I can't let go. With the GX, every time we're out for a long trip, we never have to think about being stuck on the side of the road. This is what bothers us most when we think about making the switch. Maybe this is no longer the case? Please share your knowledge and experiences.
Thanks.
X5 is core product for the brand. I am sure it will be pretty good. after warranty will likely be expensive to maintain GX is in a whole different category IMO

Old 04-19-21, 03:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What did the fix do exactly? I find that in my X6M the top down camera view is too dark, pretty much useless.
As I understand it's related to the brightness and contrast settings for the rearview camera. If one of them is turned all the way up and the other all the way down (I don't recall which) the screen can black out. The fix prevents this from happening. Since this never happened on either of my cars I don't know if they were effected or not.

I don't know if any of this effects the top down camera. Have you have the recall done?
Old 04-19-21, 03:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

As I understand it's related to the brightness and contrast settings for the rearview camera. If one of them is turned all the way up and the other all the way down (I don't recall which) the screen can black out. The fix prevents this from happening. Since this never happened on either of my cars I don't know if they were effected or not.

I don't know if any of this effects the top down camera. Have you have the recall done?
Not yet, I just heard about it about a week ago. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but would you mind posting a photo of your top down camera at night?
Old 04-19-21, 05:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Thanks for the feedback, man.

Thanks. I did look around bm forums before posting. Even though this is a lexus site, we have a good number of car guys here and I feel I can trust the feedback from here more.

Is that event for builds only? With covid, I may just find one locally. Thanks.
Part of the fun with BMW compared to other brands is they encourage you to custom order and will lock-in your pricing until car arrives. Since X5 is built in SC - it should be 4week turnaround.

I’m sure they have strict Covid protocols for Perf Delivery but even if you don’t do that - I HIGHLY recommend doing custom order to get exact colors and options you want.
Old 04-19-21, 09:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Great vehicle, I would go for it without reservation.
Old 04-19-21, 09:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you sell it before the warranty expires/can afford it along with the brutal depreciation hit, I'd say go for it. Maybe leasing it is the smart way to go, run the numbers vs buying it outright. Its a great car on paper, drives great, fast, lots of room, latest tech, has a great AWD system. Just keep in mind anything BMW is basically a codpiece, its designed to inflate the 1st owner's ego/sense of self worth and last about as long as their attention span until its attracted to that next shiny piece of steel 2 or 3 years later. Once its out of warranty it will become a self destructing money pit, some BMW's are that way straight out from the factory(mainly twin turbo V8 cars). Just know what you are getting into is my best advice.

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinion on 20/21 BMW X5