Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen ID.4 wins World Car of the Year award

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 06:03 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's also because the entire industry is becoming more and more blurred by what used to formally be a line between regular passenger cars, crossovers, and trucks. Those lines, for the most part, no longer exist any more........the industry now produces (mostly) products that are a combination of all three, particularly for the U.S. market.
mmarshall got my point. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no idea how you conclude that. what is means is the world finds crossovers and suvs more desirable than anything else and the awards reflect that.
Crossovers and SUVs aren’t cars in my opinion, they are trucks
Originally Posted by pbm317
Would you rather it be called World Vehicle of the Year?
that would be more apt but honestly they should stop encouraging the trend of people getting larger and larger vehicles.
Old 05-14-21, 06:11 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
From Dieselgate gross polluting villain to media darling: how money fixed Volkswagens issues.
Dieselgate is possibly the best thing that happened to VW.....It would of been great if VW stayed away from their parts stock w/ this new platform & not added all that weight, really should have more regen, wasted space up front w/o a frunk. Weight is a range killer on a ev as well as the punch.....Now lets see when Vdub get the Quantum Scape batteries....Got to <3 the turning radius on this vehicle vs all the other ev's...
Old 05-15-21, 06:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
mmarshall got my point. Thanks!

Crossovers and SUVs aren’t cars in my opinion, they are trucks

that would be more apt but honestly they should stop encouraging the trend of people getting larger and larger vehicles.
Crossovers are not SUVs IMO. SUVs need ladder frame construction. In my opinion a crossover is just a tall car..
Old 05-15-21, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Crossovers are not SUVs IMO. SUVs need ladder frame construction. In my opinion a crossover is just a tall car..

Although DOT and EPA may not totally agree in their own classification-systems, in terms of vehicle-engineering, trucks, today, are built on ladder-frames, and crossovers as unibody vehicles. A few SUVs, today, are still built on the truck ladder frames, but most are crossovers. I agree that the term "SUV" is becoming obsolete, and probably should be dropped....it was coined in the days when SUVs were almost all truck-based. Basically, today, you have trucks, crossovers, and passenger-cars...with passenger-cars, of course, dwindling in number.