Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen ID.4 wins World Car of the Year award

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Volkswagen ID.4 wins World Car of the Year award

The Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Porsche 911 Turbo, Honda e, and Land Rover Defender are also honored

The Volkswagen ID.4 electric SUV has been crowned the 2021 World Car of the Year. The award is conferred by a panel of 93 journalists representing 28 different countries. VW's first EV from its dedicated platform, the ID.4 was deemed the most significant new car of the year, beating out 24 other nominees. The other two top finalists were the Toyota Yaris and the Honda e.

Additionally, the WCOTY jurors honored the redesigned 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class as the World Luxury Car of the Year. The award for World Performance Car of the Year went to the new, 992-generation Porsche 911 Turbo. The World Urban Car of the Year was the Honda e, the retro-inspired electric minicar. And the Land Rover Defender was recognized as the World Car Design of the Year.

This is the 17th year for the awards. Previous WCOTY winners include the Kia Telluride last year, the Jaguar I-Pace in 2019 and the Volvo XC60 in 2018.
Source

Last edited by Hoovey689; 04-20-21 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 11:33 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

From Dieselgate gross polluting villain to media darling: how money fixed Volkswagens issues.
Old 04-21-21, 06:53 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

this is also funny b because many YouTube car reviewers are saying this car isn't ready for prime time. Most notable is the laggy infotainment system
Old 04-21-21, 07:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
this is also funny b because many YouTube car reviewers are saying this car isn't ready for prime time. Most notable is the laggy infotainment system
Yeah and its less efficient than a Model Y with significantly less power . Most reviewers are saying the Mach E eats its lunch as the best new entrant in the field and really the only competitor to the Model Y. Honestly, go watch any of the reviews and its actually lagging quite a bit in innovation as it also has a slow charging time. Not really a great effort.
Old 04-21-21, 07:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I saw one of these the other day when I was out on a run. It was...uh...not pretty in my opinion. Also seemed much bigger than I had anticipated.
Old 04-21-21, 08:00 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

World Car of the Year is inconsistent as heck. Last year the Telluride won despite being sold only in North America.

It's ironic that the Mach E won this year's North American SUV of the year award, if I didn't know any better, I would assume that the European judges crowned the ID.4 in response.
Old 04-21-21, 09:14 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jurors of the World Car Awards.

https://www.worldcarawards.com/web/juror_list.asp
Old 05-12-21, 06:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Here's a video I put together from a quick first drive experience the other week.

Old 05-13-21, 12:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

My neighbor has one and it is a large vehicle. I think it looks great on the outside. Just don't care for the minimal dash and interior. Reviews seem to be average- not bad, but not great.

Old 05-13-21, 12:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Here's a video I put together from a quick first drive experience the other week.

https://youtu.be/ZnRVWTXs1YQ
great video thanks. it nay not be as unique or 'techie' (or juvenile) as a model Y, but it seems very refined, very 'normal' and super quiet.

how was the suspension feel?

and did you have to follow the other id.4?
Old 05-13-21, 05:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great video thanks. it nay not be as unique or 'techie' (or juvenile) as a model Y, but it seems very refined, very 'normal' and super quiet.

how was the suspension feel?

and did you have to follow the other id.4?
Suspension felt good, even with the 20" wheels. Very VW. Surprised by how relatively nimble the ID.4 felt. It weighs a good like 1,000 or so pounds less than our e-tron and it feels it, in a good way. I think this bodes well for the Q4 e-tron which shares this architecture.

Didn't have to follow the other ID.4 directly, but we were all on the same prescribed route on this case and I knew the other driver. Will hopefully be able to get one for a longer evaluation soon.

This was part of their roadshow: https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_home_vw

Well managed event and there are still dates in many states in the next few weeks. Looks like they were in Miami this week and Tampa coming soon for Florida.

Old 05-14-21, 05:29 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 295 Likes on 243 Posts

So the world car of the year award has been awarded to crossovers and SUVs for the last five years? that speaks to the meaninglessness of the award and the irrelevance of the committee that votes on them.
Old 05-14-21, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
So the world car of the year award has been awarded to crossovers and SUVs for the last five years? that speaks to the meaninglessness of the award and the irrelevance of the committee that votes on them.

It's also because the entire industry is becoming more and more blurred by what used to formally be a line between regular passenger cars, crossovers, and trucks. Those lines, for the most part, no longer exist any more........the industry now produces (mostly) products that are a combination of all three, particularly for the U.S. market.
Old 05-14-21, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

no idea how you conclude that. what is means is the world finds crossovers and suvs more desirable than anything else and the awards reflect that.
Old 05-14-21, 11:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Would you rather it be called World Vehicle of the Year?

Quick Reply: Volkswagen ID.4 wins World Car of the Year award