Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Verano Pro

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 05:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘I have never liked the Audi hideaway screen they do in some of their cars. Mercedes and BMW are usually pretty good tho.
It's years since Audi used the retractable nav screen; which was around the same time Cadillac was using it.
Old 04-26-21, 06:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's years since Audi used the retractable nav screen; which was around the same time Cadillac was using it.
I had a 2016 A6 with the retractable screen. I'm not sure how long they kept it after that model year before going to the virtual cockpit in the A6.
Old 04-26-21, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are still not great by any means.

Well, it's easy to say that when you are driving a 100K S-class. I'm talking vehicles that cost between one-fourth and one-third of that.
Old 04-26-21, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it's easy to say that when you are driving a 100K S-class. I'm talking vehicles that cost between one-fourth and one-third of that.
When I discuss vehicles I compare them to their peers, I'm not comparing Buicks to my S Class, I'm comparing Buicks to their peers and I have always found their interiors cheap feeling compared to those peers. Its a GM thing, all GM interiors have a cheap feel to me, even expensive Cadillacs.

I just find nothing compelling about Buicks at all.
Old 04-26-21, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a GM thing, all GM interiors have a cheap feel to me, even expensive Cadillacs.
I think you are living in the past, but that, of course, that is subjective, and opinions are opinions. And I'm not just pointing fingers here.....I myself have sometimes lived in the past.

I will agree that Cadillacs, to some extent, are overpriced for what you get.....especially compared to Buicks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-26-21 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-26-21, 10:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Personally speaking. I think the Buick has a much more appealing interior.
Old 04-26-21, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are living in the past, but that, of course, that is subjective, and opinions are opinions. And I'm not just pointing fingers here.....I myself have sometimes lived in the past.

I will agree that Cadillacs, to some extent, are overpriced for what you get.....especially compared to Buicks.
I'm not living in the past, I've been in all the current vehicles that we're talking about, and I don't like their interiors.
Old 04-26-21, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

i think audi interiors have gone down hill in recent years. too much shiny plastic in particular. the maps on the main gauge cluster is a very cool feature though.

when i saw a Q5, Q7 on the road, i think meh for the most part. the Q8 is kind of cool (a de-tuned urus i guess). i do like the a5/s5 exterior very much. a4, a7, a8, not so much.

as for buicks, not really a fair comparison as buick is basically like acura, a 'premium' trim brand. not luxury.
Old 04-26-21, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for buicks, not really a fair comparison as buick is basically like acura, a 'premium' trim brand. not luxury.
Agreed that Buick is much like Acura (and maybe Infiniti), but, as to whether they are considered premium or luxury-brands, it depends a least in part on who is doing the ratings. GM itself considers Buick a "premium" brand between Chevy and Cadillac (which might also be the case for GMC)

Buick, along with Acura and Infiniti, used to have same full-luxury-nameplate warranty (6/70 and 4/50) as Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, but recently, GM dialed it back to 5/60 and 3/36......same as Chevy and GMC's.
Old 04-26-21, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed that Buick is much like Acura (and maybe Infiniti), but, as to whether they are considered premium or luxury-brands, it depends a least in part on who is doing the ratings. GM itself considers Buick a "premium" brand between Chevy and Cadillac (which might also be the case for GMC)

Buick, along with Acura and Infiniti, used to have same full-luxury-nameplate warranty (6/70 and 4/50) as Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, but recently, GM dialed it back to 5/60 and 3/36......same as Chevy and GMC's.
Mercedes, Audi and BMW all have cheap FWD entry level stuff...I think a Buick Envison compared to the cheapest stuff is a fair comparison.
Old 04-26-21, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Mercedes, Audi and BMW all have cheap FWD entry level stuff...I think a Buick Envison compared to the cheapest stuff is a fair comparison.
certainly true that they've expanded their lines greatly globally (not just locally in Germany where they've always had low end trims/models).

mercedes and bmw in particular don't have parent massive brand sales (like audo with vw) to rely on and so HAD to expand their lines to survive.

but buick clearly doesn't make anything like an s-class, so they've never going to be considered a luxury brand.
Old 04-26-21, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think audi interiors have gone down hill in recent years. too much shiny plastic in particular. the maps on the main gauge cluster is a very cool feature though.
I agree on the piano black trim and the touchscreens, but the quality of their interiors is truly fantastic...
Old 04-26-21, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes, Audi and BMW all have cheap FWD entry level stuff...
So does Buick, if you look at the base 24K FWD Encores, and the Encore GXs with the puny 1.2L turbo engine and CVT.

I think a Buick Envison compared to the cheapest stuff is a fair comparison.
The new 2021 Envision admittedly looks a lot better than the old Envision, but IMO......(and I know some people will not believe this)......the Encore GX has better materials inside, particularly in front. The Envision is maybe a little nicer in back, where the Encore GX has some cost-cutting.

The Envision, though, does have one major advantage over the Encore GX....a much nicer and more refined 2.0L turbo-four power-plant, although the Encore GX's 1.3L turbo-three isn't bad if driven with a light foot.

We also might be getting a little off-topic...the new Verano.
Old 04-27-21, 04:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So does Buick, if you look at the base 24K FWD Encores, and the Encore GXs with the puny 1.2L turbo engine and CVT.o.
For sure Buick has some cheaper options, but it is a fact that Mercedes and BMW are focusing on the entry level FWD segments....Mercedes has two FWD sedan offerings...BMW now has a FWD four door sedan and it is cheaper to get into a FWD sedan at Mercedes and BMW than it is at Lexus. Go figure Cadillac and Lincoln no longer have FWD sedans...

The new 2021 Envision admittedly looks a lot better than the old Envision, but IMO......(and I know some people will not believe this)......the Encore GX has better materials inside, particularly in front. The Envision is maybe a little nicer in back, where the Encore GX has some cost-cutting.
Never sat inside an Envision so I am not aware of the materials, however just looking at the interior design, I think it is an attractive design compared to the similar price points from other brands.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-27-21 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For sure Buick has some cheaper options, but it is a fact that Mercedes and BMW are focusing on the entry level FWD segments....Mercedes has two FWD sedan offerings...BMW now has a FWD four door sedan and it is cheaper to get into a FWD sedan at Mercedes and BMW than it is at Lexus. Go figure Cadillac and Lincoln no longer have FWD sedans...
Well, you were one of the ones telling us that GM and Ford did the right thing dropping sedans. Now you say go figure?

Quick Reply: Buick Verano Pro