Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 10:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those leaf, 500e, focus ev, all suck compared to teslas. why? because those companies weren't "all in" on EVs, their r&d is shared with all the rest of it (ICE, trucks, etc). tesla has also been at this a LONG time now. and yes, being (mostly) vertically integrated does help them get things done faster and more efficiently in many cases.

with ford's mach-e and vw's id.4 that is no longer true. the hyundai ioniq and kona and kia niro ev's are also competitive even if they're more 'traditional' and not lightning fast.

the plaid may be 'on sale' but they haven't delivered any have they?

i know you're all about the speeds but MOST consumers don't care that much. but it's obviously what has attracted a lot of decent income younger techie buyers. also of note, tesla owners are OVERWHELMINGLY male.
Obviously. Tesla is a premium, sports/tech branded company. They list 0-60 and range as their primary KPI. I never claimed otherwise and would never ever compare their build quality or luxury amenities with any German manufacturer. This discussion centers on price, performance, and efficiency and thats what we have been discussing.
Old 05-07-21, 10:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

His numbers are theoretical based on math and what his assumptions are. Tesla's numbers come from their pre-production testing. Lets see when people start testing their Plaid cars when they receive shipment.
Old 05-07-21, 10:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
His numbers are theoretical based on math and what his assumptions are. Tesla's numbers come from their pre-production testing. Lets see when people start testing their Plaid cars when they receive shipment.
You are failing to see the point - the sub 2.0 0-60 claim from Tesla is BS, they should have clarified about rollout.
Old 05-07-21, 10:25 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
You are failing to see the point - the sub 2.0 0-60 claim from Tesla is BS, they should have clarified about rollout.
I agree they should be transparent about rollout. But we don't know if the cars will get there without rollout. Tesla has been extremely conservative about their hp ratings. The Model 3 was initially advertised at 450hp and many mags still claim that number but many dynos have proven that is north of 520hp (verified over and over again) at the wheels. If Plaid is pushing north of 1050hp, under 2s is possible without rollout. As I said, we need to wait and see.
Old 05-07-21, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

no wonder buyers are overwhelmingly male... this whole is it 2 seconds or whatever is like p3nis envy.
Old 05-07-21, 11:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
400V. Unknown for the 4680 cell coming later. The 800v architecture helps with charging, not performance. The fastest Taycan charging speeds exceed Teslas. 270kw vs 250kw. Also, the 800v can allow for longer high speed charging sessions. It's not hard to go 800v but it costs more and Teslas legacy Superchargers are all 400V so it wouldn't do Tesla any good. Hyundai and Kia have gone to 800v already.
Originally Posted by EZZ
The Taycan Turbo and Turbo S. Turbo starts at $155k, the Turbo S starts at $185k and these have no options. Typical Porsche option upgrades about $25k...the options alone represent almost 50% of the Model 3 price
Originally Posted by EZZ
The Plaid Model on sale now will do 0-60 in about 2 seconds flat. So 1/2 second faster than the Taycan Turbo S but will be cheaper with more range. The Model 3 is faster than a $100k Taycan 4s with the same range at about 1/2 the price. Nothing Ford sells currently can catch a Model Y but the new GT Mach E may come close to the Model Y Performance but will be more expensive due to a bigger battery but should have equivalent range. Tesla is 3 or more years ahead of the competition still.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Nope. Only one I can think of is Rimac but it costs a million dollars.
I think VW has caught up to Tesla with their Porsche EV motors....there is now an alternative to a Tesla if you want performance in the EV segment. 1/2 seconds are irrelevant at that point as Porsche offers luxury features that are completely absent from Tesla. I am sure handling favors the Taycan.... There is even a wagon version of the Taycan as well. VW has even exceeded Tesla with 800V architecture platforms...they now offer OTA updates and VW actually has certified level 3 autonomous in their Audi line up somewhere, so I am sure if can be added to Porsche. As for Tesla 3 price being cheaper...that is good but their is a reason why people pay for the Porsche brand...the brand commands more money...Tesla 3 would be like a Camaro compared to a 911 I have no idea what the sales numbers are for Taycan, but something tells me they are better than Tesla S.

Now Mercedes enters a segment that once completely dominated by Tesla Model S...

Anyway...good discussion.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-07-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 04:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

those leaf, 500e, focus ev, all suck compared to teslas. why? because those companies weren't "all in" on EVs, their r&d is shared with all the rest of it (ICE, trucks, etc). tesla has also been at this a LONG time now. and yes, being (mostly) vertically integrated does help them get things done faster and more efficiently in many cases.
Bit a few things. Mainstream companies did not have to start from scratch, so even if they had to share r&d with the rest of their line up, they had ready platforms to start with. Tesla had to start from scratch, and thus their cars still feel very much like kit cars from every standpoint. The design, the assembly, the paint, the interior, the infotainment - everything is very raw. Of course today Tesla has the most advanced electric drivetrain after more than a decade of expertise, but I refuse to believe this is due to their incompetence. As I was saying before, an electric drivetrain is not that complicated, and certainly not a problem for a major auto maker to develop to be at least 90% as efficient as Tesla's.

Also I disagree that cars like 500e, Leaf, etc suck compared to Teslas. Lets not forget that the first mainstream Tesla was the Model S, which was launched in 2012 with a very hefty price tag, about $80k if my memory serves me right. Cars like the Leaf and 500e were designed to fit a budget niche for a fraction of the price. When I was shopping for the Leaf, it was so cheap and with so many government provided credits that it was practically free. I remember someone posted a break down with all the credits you could effectively lease the Leaf for less than $100 per month. Of course it didn't have Teslas range or performance, but it seemed to me like a perfect city car, and could make a lot of sense as a second car for great many people. However Nissan made it almost impossible to purchase it outside of California, so it never realized its potential. Ditto for the cool little 500e and other bygone EVs.

Anyhow, this is now water under the bridge. Finally there are more solid choices in the EV market, lets see where the future takes us.
Old 05-07-21, 04:44 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
However Nissan made it almost impossible to purchase it outside of California, so it never realized its potential. Ditto for the cool little 500e and other bygone EVs.
An old schoolmate of mine who teaches automotive repair at the college level leased a "cool little 500e" and it was nothing but trouble. He hated it. So, maybe you dodged a bullet not being able get one outside of CA. I know this is anecdotal, but, seeing how the 500e was a flash in the pan leads me to believe my schoolmate wasn't the only one having problems.
Old 05-07-21, 04:56 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
An old schoolmate of mine who teaches automotive repair at the college level leased a "cool little 500e" and it was nothing but trouble. He hated it. So, maybe you dodged a bullet not being able get one outside of CA. I know this is anecdotal, but, seeing how the 500e was a flash in the pan leads me to believe my schoolmate wasn't the only one having problems.
it was a compliance car. Made to comply with some law. About a nickel’s worth of engineering goes into those cars.
Old 05-07-21, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Bit a few things. Mainstream companies did not have to start from scratch, so even if they had to share r&d with the rest of their line up, they had ready platforms to start with. Tesla had to start from scratch, and thus their cars still feel very much like kit cars from every standpoint. The design, the assembly, the paint, the interior, the infotainment - everything is very raw. Of course today Tesla has the most advanced electric drivetrain after more than a decade of expertise, but I refuse to believe this is due to their incompetence. As I was saying before, an electric drivetrain is not that complicated, and certainly not a problem for a major auto maker to develop to be at least 90% as efficient as Tesla's.

Also I disagree that cars like 500e, Leaf, etc suck compared to Teslas. Lets not forget that the first mainstream Tesla was the Model S, which was launched in 2012 with a very hefty price tag, about $80k if my memory serves me right. Cars like the Leaf and 500e were designed to fit a budget niche for a fraction of the price. When I was shopping for the Leaf, it was so cheap and with so many government provided credits that it was practically free. I remember someone posted a break down with all the credits you could effectively lease the Leaf for less than $100 per month. Of course it didn't have Teslas range or performance, but it seemed to me like a perfect city car, and could make a lot of sense as a second car for great many people. However Nissan made it almost impossible to purchase it outside of California, so it never realized its potential. Ditto for the cool little 500e and other bygone EVs.

Anyhow, this is now water under the bridge. Finally there are more solid choices in the EV market, lets see where the future takes us.
Tesla Motors did not really start from scratch. The very first Tesla car was partially related to Lotus. Lotus helped with the first days. Toyota also partnered with Tesla as well. And the very first Tesla assembly for large scale production was a former Toyota facility.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-07-21 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Bit a few things. Mainstream companies did not have to start from scratch, so even if they had to share r&d with the rest of their line up, they had ready platforms to start with.
and i believe those ICE platforms were always going to make a compromised frankenstein EV with bad range. as ford, vw, mercedes, and others have learned, you HAVE to have a dedicated EV platform to do it right. so in essence they all REstarted from scratch giving tesla half a decade head start. yes the original roadster was pretty lame, but the Model S was amazing for 2012 and has been improved significantly since (with still more to come this year).

Tesla had to start from scratch, and thus their cars still feel very much like kit cars from every standpoint. The design, the assembly, the paint, the interior, the infotainment - everything is very raw.
i am still pretty unimpressed by tesla's boring plain interiors except maybe the model X.

Of course today Tesla has the most advanced electric drivetrain after more than a decade of expertise, but I refuse to believe this is due to their incompetence.
perhaps you meant 'competence'? anyway, while EVs may not conceptually be that complicated, devil's in the details, and there's a ton of engineering and software in squeezing maximum performance and range out. i would expect teslas have millions of lines of code in them. even something like charging them is complicated, much more so than filling with gas.

Cars like the Leaf and 500e were designed to fit a budget niche for a fraction of the price.
the leaf has done ok as a cheap EV, from what i've heard the 500e was as bad as other 500s

Of course it (Leaf) didn't have Teslas range or performance, but it seemed to me like a perfect city car, and could make a lot of sense as a second car for great many people.
agreed but nissan probably lost money on every one and didn't want to launch far and wide because it would just mean more red ink. but they were cheap with credits because that's what it took to convince anyone to try one.

one car left out of the conversation quite a bit is the Chevy Bolt and newer slightly bigger Bolt EUV. these are relatively inexpensive and actually really good.

Old 05-07-21, 08:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdls
it was a compliance car. Made to comply with some law. About a nickel’s worth of engineering goes into those cars.
So if a major auto maker can make a somewhat decent EV with "nickel's worth" of engineering, what is the point for the to keep paying Tesla for carbon credits?
Old 05-07-21, 08:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Oh no doubt, Fiat and Chrysler historically had terrible reliability. Nevertheless, when the new 500 launched in the US, it had plenty of cool factor. When I was in the fiat dealer in 2013, they said they don't sell 500e outside of Cali, so I checked out the regular 500, and while it looked cool in the Abarth trim, the asking lease rate on it was around the same as a 3 series or a G37. Certainly wasn't worth it.
Old 05-07-21, 08:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

and i believe those ICE platforms were always going to make a compromised frankenstein EV with bad range. as ford, vw, mercedes, and others have learned, you HAVE to have a dedicated EV platform to do it right. so in essence they all REstarted from scratch giving tesla half a decade head start. yes the original roadster was pretty lame, but the Model S was amazing for 2012 and has been improved significantly since (with still more to come this year).

i am still pretty unimpressed by tesla's boring plain interiors except maybe the model X.

perhaps you meant 'competence'? anyway, while EVs may not conceptually be that complicated, devil's in the details, and there's a ton of engineering and software in squeezing maximum performance and range out. i would expect teslas have millions of lines of code in them. even something like charging them is complicated, much more so than filling with gas.

the leaf has done ok as a cheap EV, from what i've heard the 500e was as bad as other 500s

agreed but nissan probably lost money on every one and didn't want to launch far and wide because it would just mean more red ink. but they were cheap with credits because that's what it took to convince anyone to try one.

one car left out of the conversation quite a bit is the Chevy Bolt and newer slightly bigger Bolt EUV. these are relatively inexpensive and actually really good.

I mean to say I refuse to believe other automakers are not competent enough to match Teslas EV drivetrain. It is really not that complicated.

Last edited by Och; 05-08-21 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 09:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I mean to say I don't believe other automakers I refuse to believe other automakers are not competent enough to match Teslas EV drivetrain. It is really not that complicated.
i agree they will catch up. there's also dozens of EV vendors in china doing interesting things.

tesla has got some serious volume production happening though, and that's impressive.

Quick Reply: Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green