Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not for growth stocks. If it mattered, Tesla wouldn't be worth more than 2x Toyota. As long they are growing their sales, nobody cares. Seriously.
I have no comment on the stock. Haven’t said a word about it. Just wanted to point out that without sales of credits, there is none to little profit. Now the credits from Stelantos will dry up....profits decline.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-08-21 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Original Leaf battery is junk horrible degradation you dodged a bullet.
The battery is the least if the Leafs problem, being a Nissan its disposable junk and it's probably a good thing that I wasn't able to get one. But back then I had an itch for an EV, and if I did get the Leaf i'd probably get it out of my system in a matter of few months and get rid of it. But something like a Mini EV or 500e have the cool factor to them, so I could live with one. As a BMW enthusiast I see myself getting a Mini EV as it is built by BMW.
Old 05-08-21, 11:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no comment on the stock. Haven’t said a word about it. Just wanted to point out that without sales of credits, there is none to little profit. Now the credits from Stelantos will dry up.
And then what will happen to Tesla?
Old 05-08-21, 11:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You simply don't know because the companies did give consumers the ability to buy them. I was trying to buy, and couldn't. And I personally don't care about long range, I am not interested in a long range EV because I would never want to take it on a long trip. I have zero interest in having to plan out my route tied to electric chargers, waste times at charging facilities and so on. For a long trip an ICE is way to go. But as a second car, a practical, inexpensive EV is perfect, as long as its range is over 50 miles.
I live in California and those cars are just sitting on the lots. Anyone can buy them here but no one did. Very unpopular. Frankly, I wouldn't buy an EV without a garage right now. I'm pretty frank with that advice when one of my friends without a garage asks me. Want a small city car...get an IcE mini. It hardly polluted and fun as hell.
Old 05-08-21, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody knows. That’s why it’s so much fun discussing the brand
Old 05-08-21, 11:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I live in California and those cars are just sitting on the lots. Anyone can buy them here but no one did. Very unpopular. Frankly, I wouldn't buy an EV without a garage right now. I'm pretty frank with that advice when one of my friends without a garage asks me. Want a small city car...get an IcE mini. It hardly polluted and fun as hell.
Yes, that's another thing - back in 2013 EVs were new, and could sell simply on the merit of someone having an itch for an EV. For instance I didn't even care which EV, I just wanted any EV back then, but Tesla was a too expensive and others were not available in NY. Today the hype around EVs has calmed down, and EVs have to complete with ICE on other merits. While I still want an EV, I realize that I will have to inconvenience myself by having to always park in my narrow driveway instead of just parking in front of the house. But that being said, I am still only interested in a city EV, never for a long trip.
Old 05-08-21, 11:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing. They are pre-funded their factories with their capital raises and removed their debt. They are only P&L break even because of their high depreciation on the factories but from a cash perspective, they are making money so cash isn't a concern. No profit is completely meaningless for this company as it sets its sights on selling a million cars be next year. Investors don't care about profit. Consumers don't care about profit. Their employees don't care about profit. Nobody cares.
Old 05-08-21, 11:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nothing. They are pre-funded their factories with their capital raises and removed their debt. They are only P&L break even because of their high depreciation on the factories but from a cash perspective, they are making money so cash isn't a concern. No profit is completely meaningless for this company as it sets its sights on selling a million cars be next year. Investors don't care about profit. Consumers don't care about profit. Their employees don't care about profit. Nobody cares.

"The third quarter will be our last chance to show investors that Tesla can be at least slightly positive cash flow and profitable before the Model 3 reaches full production."
^^ Elon Musk. Circa 2016

https://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/tec...-tesla-profit/

So now years later...profits are questionable

When looking at our actual profitability, it is very low at around 1% for the past year. Investors are giving us a lot of credit for future profits, but if, at any point, they conclude that’s not going to happen, our stock will immediately get crushed like a soufflé under a sledgehammer
Elon 2020^^

https://electrek.co/2020/12/01/elon-...ts-tsla-email/

Profits are everything.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-08-21 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 11:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
^^ Elon Musk. Circa 2016

https://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/tec...-tesla-profit/

So now years later...profits are questionableElon 2020^^

https://electrek.co/2020/12/01/elon-...ts-tsla-email/
All he had to do was demonstrate that Tesla could reach profitability and to get the stock
Listed on the Nasdaq. Now, no one cares. They expect Tesla to be loss making or break even due to their growth strategy. You bring up old baggage that's outdated and provide no context at this point. Tesla will have to be profitable when their growth stalls but that's at least 3 years out. Until then, profitability isn't a metric that Tesla is measured against. Again, no one cares, especially right now.
Old 05-08-21, 11:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
All he had to do was demonstrate that Tesla could reach profitability and to get the stock
Listed on the Nasdaq. Now, no one cares. They expect Tesla to be loss making or break even due to their growth strategy. You bring up old baggage that's outdated and provide no context at this point. Tesla will have to be profitable when their growth stalls but that's at least 3 years out. Until then, profitability isn't a metric that Tesla is measured against. Again, no one cares, especially right now.
I guess we will just have to respectfully disagree.
Old 05-08-21, 12:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

It's easy to be profitable through the carbon credits scam. Tesla isn't going anywhere, they are clearly in bed with the government.
Old 05-08-21, 03:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Another thread turned into one about tesla's stock. Closed.