Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 08:25 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Like you Marshall I learned a few things in this video as well. For example there is only 20 lbs of lithium in a 1200 pound battery. I knew just how difficult they are to recycle now it makes a little more sense. As the cost to get to a he lithium would be huge. I started a thread a while back on a company I can no longer mention as per a mod that has technology that doubles the life of the battery which is an enormous find. Tesla Batteries are strung together -in a simple sense- like Christmas tree lights of old. Where when one bulb goes out it affects others in the string. Not till a third wire was added and they were wired in parallel instead of series ( I think I’m no electrician) did it change the string so when one bulb went out it didn’t affect the string. A new find in battery technology that allows cells to die and not have any affect on adjacent cells in my understanding is a big deal, very big deal. A $10,000 deal in most battery powered cars.

I have heard it said often Tesla may not be around forever however their contribution or the development of batteries may be the highlight of their legacy. I tend to believe that

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-30-21 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Ignored request
Old 04-30-21, 08:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks we’ve had plenty of threads complaining about Scotty or supporting him. Let’s keep to discussion about details the content of his video if you want to comment please.
asking one more time as it seems everyone is ignoring this request

I am editing those posts or removing and ask if you post again, keep to the video content and not your opinions of Scotty. We’ve covered that in spades here in other threads already
Old 04-30-21, 09:13 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
“Non-biased” is usually a euphemism for “the views expressed are views that I already agree with, most likely for political reasons”.

I’ll happily declare my personal bias. I think this guy is an idiot.

I’ll also say that I don’t know a single Tesla owner who bought one for primarily environmentally-motivated reasons.

They usually buy them because they are extremely quick and because they think the technology is cool.
I totally agree...while, the information is right that Tesla has sold their credits to FCA for business, Scotty is just putting his own spin on the situation to make buyers feel shame, which they don't. The rest of the world is adopting them, but yeah, the US is behind on this. However, more companies are ramping up their offerings. We saw Toyota just show of their BZs, and Hyundai is coming strong with the Ioniq 5.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 04-30-21 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-30-21, 09:13 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The whole carbon credit scheme was invented by boomers, making cars more expensive for the generations to come.
Actually, it was the California progressives that came up with restrictive emissions requirements to cure the huge smog mess In LA. Eventually Ca convinced 11 other States to join their emissions rules. These States are called the "CARB" States. They offer credits to sell zero emission cars. Toyota for one participates heavily so they can sell their gas hogs. I discovered this when I wondered why I couldn't buy a Rav4 Prime in Florida. Toyota only supplies Primes to the CARB states so they get the credits. Unless something changes this will also apply to the new NX and BZX4 or all the new Toyota BEV's.
Old 04-30-21, 09:16 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My issue with this video is that it is lazy.

People in Iceland apparently have cheap clean energy. In America we can't have cheap clean energy, we have a good amount of fossil fuels. No further analysis. Draw your own conclusions I suppose even though very thorough analysis has been done already.

EV batteries are harder to recycle than lead acid. Ok, how much harder and why do those two things even matter comparatively? Is recycling an issue because this is new technology, or is it a woe is us impossibility? At least he threw in a cringy swipe at Asians and their little factories. Yeesh.

There's not much Li in the battery pack. That's bad because... it's not much to recycle, or that makes it hard to get to? Or could it be good because you don't need that much in the first place? The world may never know.

Don't forget that sweet government money. Tesla would be gushing cash without it. Surely they'd spend the same amount even without this undefined green that actually comes from other noncompliant manufacturers lining their pockets.

​​​​​
Old 04-30-21, 09:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Actually, it was the California progressives that came up with restrictive emissions requirements to cure the huge smog mess In LA. Eventually Ca convinced 11 other States to join their emissions rules. These States are called the "CARB" States. They offer credits to sell zero emission cars. Toyota for one participates heavily so they can sell their gas hogs. I discovered this when I wondered why I couldn't buy a Rav4 Prime in Florida. Toyota only supplies Primes to the CARB states so they get the credits. Unless something changes this will also apply to the new NX and BZX4 or all the new Toyota BEV's.
It's all just a cover up for a racket scheme to make products more expensive and extort more money from the consumers. They use all kinds of premises to justify it, but there is a lot of under the table deals going on. It is what it is, like Bit said, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it.

I wonder if it is a smart idea to buy a couple of inexpensive, reliable NA ICE cars, and keep them in a garage in case car prices skyrocket in the near future.
Old 04-30-21, 09:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sg021
Don't forget that sweet government money. Tesla would be gushing cash without it. Surely they'd spend the same amount even without this undefined green that actually comes from other noncompliant manufacturers lining their pockets.
​​​​​
There is a lot of money changing hands in the forms of all kinds of shady deals and bribes, but ultimately the money comes out of the consumers pockets.
Old 04-30-21, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

what's laughable about scotty's comments on EV costs is that they are FAR less expensive to operate/own than ICE cars. no oil changes. brakes rarely need changing. charging generally WAY cheaper than gasoline saving hundreds or thousands a year. scotty wants to focus on the purchase price when the reality is a) entry level model 3 is like camry pricing, and b) there's other less expensive ev's like nissan leaf, kia niro ev, ioniq, etc. i think mach-e is similar pricing to a model y, but haven't delved into it.

guys like scotty just want to put down EVs because there's nothing else for him to talk about as "wrenching" and "grease monkey" don't apply to ev's. his 50 years of mechanic experience are almost entirely obsolete.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-30-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-30-21, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I wonder if it is a smart idea to buy a couple of inexpensive, reliable NA ICE cars, and keep them in a garage in case car prices skyrocket in the near future.
that would be a large 'sunk cost' just to have cars sitting around. my plan had been to keep the 'cream puff' used camry i bought, but bagged that when i realized i like new safety features too much. but i did get another reliable NA ICE car instead that sits in my garage most of the time, an LC500.

Old 04-30-21, 09:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Tesla is not the only one making EVs.
Old 04-30-21, 09:40 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that would be a large 'sunk cost' just to have cars sitting around. my plan had been to keep the 'cream puff' used camry i bought, but bagged that when i realized i like new safety features too much. but i did get another reliable NA ICE car instead that sits in my garage most of the time, an LC500.
I'm just thinking that in most parts of the world cars are a lot more expensive to own and operate than the US. I think that days of $200 leases in USA are soon coming to an end, and cars are going to be unaffordable for most middle class people.
Old 04-30-21, 10:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

In the end, from cradle to grave, its been recognized EVs are cleaner in their lifetime even with detrimental mining included in the calculations. WSJ recently explored this .

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/are-ele...e-environment/

At this point, the ship has already sailed and the momentum is too great to stop...EVs are definitely coming and the ICE days are pretty much numbered. It is what it is...
Old 04-30-21, 11:03 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
There is a lot of money changing hands in the forms of all kinds of shady deals and bribes, but ultimately the money comes out of the consumers pockets.
Provide links and I will read, as I am not in the know regarding these bribes and shady deals.
Old 04-30-21, 11:15 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
I guess the answer is what makes teenagers today feel the way I felt about 90's Supras, then sit on one and wait for them to grow up.

Och: Hey kids, what cars do you like?

Teenagers: Teslas!

Och: *falls to knees* Noooooo!

I'm playing around, but that's probably at least half true. What I would actually be interested in is ROI of the market vs. a perfect condition low mileage mid 90's Supra. Probably still wouldn't come out ahead.
Old 04-30-21, 11:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sg021
I guess the answer is what makes teenagers today feel the way I felt about 90's Supras, then sit on one and wait for them to grow up.

Och: Hey kids, what cars do you like?

Teenagers: Teslas!

Och: *falls to knees* Noooooo!

I'm playing around, but that's probably at least half true. What I would actually be interested in is ROI of the market vs. a perfect condition low mileage mid 90's Supra. Probably still wouldn't come out ahead.
You should seek help.

Quick Reply: Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green