Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 05:23 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
guys like scotty just want to put down EVs because there's nothing else for him to talk about as "wrenching" and "grease monkey" don't apply to ev's. his 50 years of mechanic experience are almost entirely obsolete.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. EV's require plenty of wrenching and grease, as do all mechanical systems (in spite of how much Elon would like us to believe otherwise). Yes, some of the maintenance and repairs are different, but much of an EV's electrical components, cooling systems, brakes, hubs, tires, wheels, suspension, body parts and accessories are similar or the same as ICE vehicles. I wouldn't put our most experienced automotive repair mechanics out to pasture just yet!
Old 04-30-21, 06:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. EV's require plenty of wrenching and grease, as do all mechanical systems (in spite of how much Elon would like us to believe otherwise). Yes, some of the maintenance and repairs are different, but much of an EV's electrical components, cooling systems, brakes, hubs, tires, wheels, suspension, body parts and accessories are similar or the same as ICE vehicles. I wouldn't put our most experienced automotive repair mechanics out to pasture just yet!
The amount of maintenance is different though. No engine or tranny need maintenance. Brakes need much less maintenance (regen braking really makes using physical brakes pretty rare). Cooling need maintenance at the 100k mile mark. So you are left with suspension and body parts. This is going to put a lot of dealerships out of business if they can't get enough margin on car sales as their service department revenue may dry up.
Old 04-30-21, 06:48 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
I'll take Jason's take on this only Scotty's any day. I actually went to college with Jason, very nice and smart guy. I am not sure how anyone can even watch Scotty and listen to his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rywz73vwKw
Very good point about the electrical grid that we have in the US....
Old 05-01-21, 01:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there people out there who think Teslas are green and environmental friendly? Certainly they are greener when you account the whole oil industry but the more BEVs pop up the electricity will become more expensive. It's inevitable. If you can afford BEV and enough of solar panels to charge the thing then you are almost green.
Old 05-01-21, 09:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Cost per watt is going to plummet, if electricity does become more expensive that will be due to taxes not the technology itself.
Old 05-01-21, 09:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Cost per watt is going to plummet, if electricity does become more expensive that will be due to taxes not the technology itself.
They will charge BEVs at registration Ike they do in Illinois and California. Makes no sense to tax everyone for BEVs. It would only benefit the more affluent people if that were the case as those people tend to have a garage and solar. My cost of ownership has completely plummeted with a BEV.
Old 05-01-21, 09:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cost of copper has more than doubled, building infrastructure is going to be even more expensive. I am not worried about electric cars vs gas cars, I am more worried about all cars becoming too expensive for the masses. Thats why I said maybe it makes sense to buy a couple of reliable, inexpensive cars now, to keep for the future.
Old 05-01-21, 09:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
They will charge BEVs at registration Ike they do in Illinois and California. Makes no sense to tax everyone for BEVs. It would only benefit the more affluent people if that were the case as those people tend to have a garage and solar. My cost of ownership has completely plummeted with a BEV.
They will find other ways to tax you, perhaps with road use tax per mile.
Old 05-01-21, 09:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

We are already tax based on distance driven.
Old 05-01-21, 09:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

We are already tax based on distance driven.
In Cali? We dont have it in NY but there are talks, im sure its coming.
Old 05-01-21, 10:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Road use tax may be cheaper than what's charged in Cali. I pay $150 per year for an EV which offsets my state gas tax. Given, I haven't driven nearly as much in the year, I probably paid 4x what I would have paid in gas tax. Illinois also charges taxes to EVs at the rate an average car would have paid in state gas tax. All evidence points to regulators charging equivalent tax to EVs vs ICE. I'm not really worried about it. In the end, the government will get theirs but their main goal is to keep the status quo...not surprising as the major auto guys are now lobbying for EVs anyway.
Old 05-01-21, 10:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Everywhere. Energy is taxed the more you drive the more energy you need.
Old 05-01-21, 10:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Everywhere. Energy is taxed the more you drive the more energy you need.
There are talks in NY about a separate per mile driven.
Old 05-01-21, 10:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are talks in NY about a separate per mile driven.
I know, which would be a tax grab since we already pay by the mile essentially. Where it gets complicated is when people generate their own power how to you tax that? Force people to disclose how much energy they produce?

Either way I will stand by my comment that in 10 years we will generate more energy than we need. If this doesn't happen it won't be for lack of technology it will be due to policy decisions.
Old 05-01-21, 10:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I know, which would be a tax grab since we already pay by the mile essentially. Where it gets complicated is when people generate their own power how to you tax that? Force people to disclose how much energy they produce?

Either way I will stand by my comment that in 10 years we will generate more energy than we need. If this doesn't happen it won't be for lack of technology it will be due to policy decisions.
Did you read the story about 15 years ago about a guy being fined for running his diesel car on recycled oil for road tax evasion?

Quick Reply: Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green