Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 01:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Elon musk all over the news since he's to be on Saturday Night Live tonight and cast members refusing to be on set with him and other online commentators saying he's 'destroying the planet'. Maybe scotty's onto something.
Old 05-01-21, 03:07 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Elon musk all over the news since he's to be on Saturday Night Live tonight and cast members refusing to be on set with him and other online commentators saying he's 'destroying the planet'. Maybe scotty's onto something.
SNL, which has spent decades taking the **** on wealthy corporate billionaire CEO's, doesn't want their show to be hosted by a wealthy corporate billionaire CEO? Who could have ever imagined.

It's sad how EV's are being tied to a political identity.
Old 05-01-21, 03:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Road use tax may be cheaper than what's charged in Cali. I pay $150 per year for an EV which offsets my state gas tax.
If the government is serious about addressing climate change, they should be giving tax credits rather than implementing "road-use tax" for EVs, especially if owners install solar at their homes.
Old 05-01-21, 03:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola

It's sad how EV's are being tied to a political identity.
It's like this with everything now, anything you do has to become a political ideology. There was a great article that I read a number of years ago, written by no other than Jeremy Clarkson. He wrote how during his youth a person could ride a bicycle, and that was all there was to it. Nowadays riding a bicycle became a part of a militant ideology associated with being vegan, green, and all the rest of this nonsense. Its the same with EVs.
Old 05-01-21, 03:26 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

My take on the controversy regarding Elon hosting SNL...it's a publicity stunt to get viewers to tune in. The show, and most network TV, is losing its audience to streaming.

That said, I'm tuning in (or at least, recording it)!
Old 05-01-21, 03:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
If the government is serious about addressing climate change, they should be giving tax credits rather than implementing "road-use tax" for EVs, especially if owners install solar at their homes.
The government might provide temporary tax credits, but as cars get more and more expensive, and less people are able to afford a car, who is going to pay for all the infrastructure? Even if they do provide some meme credits, they will have to raise personal taxes.
Old 05-01-21, 03:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
It's like this with everything now, anything you do has to become a political ideology....Nowadays riding a bicycle became a part of a militant ideology associated with being vegan, green, and all the rest of this nonsense. Its the same with EVs.
Agreed! This phenomenon is a result of extremism on both ends of the political spectrum. I believe in searching for middle ground, not in fanning flames. After all, we are supposed to be the UNITED States! We need more empathy/tolerance, and less judging/criticism, from both the left and right. Otherwise, single-minded countries like China are going to kick our collective butt!
Old 05-01-21, 04:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If there is any group that knows what's best for society in general it is millionaire celebs that lecture us on everything under the sun and practice none of it.
Old 05-01-21, 04:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Agreed! This phenomenon is a result of extremism on both ends of the political spectrum. I believe in searching for middle ground, not in fanning flames. After all, we are supposed to be the UNITED States! We need more empathy/tolerance, and less judging/criticism, from both the left and right. Otherwise, single-minded countries like China are going to kick our collective butt!
I am not worried about China, our own politicians stalk people against each other over bs premises, and then screws us over with all sorts of tax while lining their own pockets.
Old 05-01-21, 04:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Folks, getting into debate content. Back on topic.
Old 05-05-21, 10:17 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

He is one guy (and probably the ONLY one) that I take seriously. I am a subscriber to his YouTube channel and I watch his videos more than occasionally. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-05-21, 11:02 AM
Sharris868
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A scientific analysis of the question/ issue

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/h...=1&isAllowed=y
Old 05-05-21, 12:53 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

"Specifically, I contrast the air pollutant related social costs that can be quantified and assigned to each type of vehicle."

Thanks, but I don't need Harvard to tell me that.
Old 05-05-21, 01:06 PM
Sharris868
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it covers a lot more than that for those interested.
Old 05-05-21, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

A 4 year old 185 page thesis by a liberal arts student defining everything in terms of something called "social cost"... um, no thanks.
as they say "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, ..."

Quick Reply: Scotty talks about Tesla’s being green