Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rental-Vehicle Prices Increasing Sharply

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
shipped my viper to our national viper meet Houston to Miami last week for $2k round trip for almost 6 days. I bet a rental car wouldnt have been far off.
Didn't know you had a Viper. Quite a car.

Has it been reliable? They had a reputation for being shoddily-built.
Old 05-06-21, 09:17 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

So they are basically making the same $$ with less cars.....lol.

I checked for five days rental for Maui, HI for September and it comes out to $800+ for a medium size sedan.......

maybe it will be cheaper to just use Uber or taxi .....lol
Old 05-06-21, 10:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2

I checked for five days rental for Maui, HI for September and it comes out to $800+ for a medium size sedan.......

Except that Uber will charge you surge rates.
Old 05-06-21, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Except that Uber will charge you surge rates.

Want to see a funny look on the face of an Uber driver?

Ask him to give you a Lyft.

Old 05-06-21, 10:39 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I remember reading articles about rental places off loading their inventory. Fair prices too.
I'm still seeing options for under $40 a day with same pickup/drop-off locations which isn't bad. But that's at an airport which is usually less expensive.

However I had an idea in the next year to drive across country, then fly back (San Diego to New York) So a one way Rental. For that they want $130+ per day....it comes to more than it would be to fly round trip for 2 people (if I had the car 6 days...not including gas).

Anyone done a trip that have any insight on per day costs? I feel like an extra 400% increase per day is pretty steep, just because it's different pickup / drop-off locations.

Old 05-06-21, 01:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I remember reading articles about rental places off loading their inventory. Fair prices too.
I'm still seeing options for under $40 a day with same pickup/drop-off locations which isn't bad. But that's at an airport which is usually less expensive.

However I had an idea in the next year to drive across country, then fly back (San Diego to New York) So a one way Rental. For that they want $130+ per day....it comes to more than it would be to fly round trip for 2 people (if I had the car 6 days...not including gas).

Anyone done a trip that have any insight on per day costs? I feel like an extra 400% increase per day is pretty steep, just because it's different pickup / drop-off locations.
I used to work for Hertz Rent-A-Car many many years ago. Pricing is based on demand and special conventioned rates for a particular time period. One-way rentals generally are more expensive per day because you're not returning the car to it's home base or original location you rented from. That location loses one car in their fleet, now they have to rely on a one-way return, or get more cars from a neighboring branch. Now if there was a catastrophe or special event where a certain area needed vehicles, companies will lower the daily rate or waive the drop charge on one-ways.

The most expensive rental i've ever seen during my time in that industry was at $599/day for a Toyota Sienna as a one-way rental. The person who rented it was supposed to fly from Chicago to LA, but their flight ended up being cancelled due to weather. They ended up driving across the country in 2.5 days. They didn't seem to care what the cost was since their company was picking up the tab.
Old 05-06-21, 01:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Airport locations are typically MORE expensive, not less, because there are additional fees that only apply to airport locations.

With one exception (when the agency actively wants a vehicle moved between regions, which is typically seasonal), one-way rentals are ALWAYS more expensive. Years ago we were on a 2-week-long trip in the DC area, when a Hurricane came through, cancelling all flights and forcing us to drive home. Keeping the car we had would have added an extra $2k+ to our rental fee, because converting to a 1-way carried both a flat fee AND a dramatic increase in the per-day fee. So we wound up returning the car we had to Baltimore, turning around and renting another car from the exact same agency, and driving it home. That if memory serves cost us about $160.
Old 05-06-21, 03:27 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Airport locations are typically MORE expensive, not less, because there are additional fees that only apply to airport locations.

With one exception (when the agency actively wants a vehicle moved between regions, which is typically seasonal), one-way rentals are ALWAYS more expensive. Years ago we were on a 2-week-long trip in the DC area, when a Hurricane came through, cancelling all flights and forcing us to drive home. Keeping the car we had would have added an extra $2k+ to our rental fee, because converting to a 1-way carried both a flat fee AND a dramatic increase in the per-day fee. So we wound up returning the car we had to Baltimore, turning around and renting another car from the exact same agency, and driving it home. That if memory serves cost us about $160.
I guess I need to check more locations. The most convenient spot (close to my home) was more than the airport so I guess I assumed.

The one way being more expensive makes perfect sense, unless the pickup is over stocked and the drop off is understocked. But 4x more, geez. I would understand better a flat rate/fee rather than upping the price so dramatically on a per day basis.
Old 05-07-21, 08:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The most expensive rental i've ever seen during my time in that industry was at $599/day for a Toyota Sienna as a one-way rental. The person who rented it was supposed to fly from Chicago to LA, but their flight ended up being cancelled due to weather. They ended up driving across the country in 2.5 days. They didn't seem to care what the cost was since their company was picking up the tab.
This is what happened to 2 guys that worked with me back during 9/11. All flights were cancelled indefinitely, and they were stuck in California. Both seemed to be in shock, as each ended up renting their own cars for the one-way trip back to Chicago. I have no idea what it cost our company, but it was twice as much as it should have been.
Old 05-07-21, 08:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Didn't know you had a Viper. Quite a car.

Has it been reliable? They had a reputation for being shoddily-built.
had it since April 2017, been reliable, i've only oil changes. 2013+ is a whole different animal than the previous in terms of build quality
Old 05-08-21, 07:56 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

The micro chip shortage has and will continue to impact auto production. There have been many articles in The Journal and auto mfg. periodicals projecting the impact into at least mid 2022. As far as the rental car companies, Hertz as many know filed for bankruptcy and had to sell off many, many vehicles to raise cash and reduce costs. The solvent companies sold of units as a result of covid and the precipitous drop in travel.

On our trip to Florida in February, I had one heck of a time finding any rental cars. I did find a sub compact soup can for $900/week...fortunately our hosts for the week picked us up at the airport and we hung with them all week any way.
Old 05-08-21, 08:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
The micro chip shortage has and will continue to impact auto production. There have been many articles in The Journal and auto mfg. periodicals projecting the impact into at least mid 2022. As far as the rental car companies, Hertz as many know filed for bankruptcy and had to sell off many, many vehicles to raise cash and reduce costs. The solvent companies sold of units as a result of covid and the precipitous drop in travel.

On our trip to Florida in February, I had one heck of a time finding any rental cars. I did find a sub compact soup can for $900/week...fortunately our hosts for the week picked us up at the airport and we hung with them all week any way.
At that point it becomes cheaper to just take uber instead of renting. But I wonder who in their right mind buys an used car that used to be a rental.
Old 05-08-21, 08:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
But I wonder who in their right mind buys an used car that used to be a rental.
a majority of people shop on price alone. those are the people that would snap up a used rental car without even a 2nd thought.
Old 05-08-21, 09:06 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

The fact that the rental car companies are very actively purchasing 1000's of cars at auction, have rapidly inflated the used car costs and values.
Old 05-10-21, 10:19 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2

Wow, prices really did double! We were in Maui Dec 2019 and it was $626 to rent a Kia Optima for 8 days (returning to same Kahului/OGG airport). This past Dec 2020 we were on the Big Island and it was $1100 for another Kia Optima for 11 days, but one-way picking up from Hilo and returning to Kona airport. I dare say $800 for 5 days doesn't sound too bad considering we have friends in Maui right now and they mentioned car rentals going for $300/day. People have resorted to renting U-Hauls because no more cars are available!