Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver tests Tesla's autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 10:29 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Then compare Tesla to Tesla if you chose to discount any comparison to other cars.
Or compare Tesla (which has Autopilot standard on all models) to modern cars with modern safety systems built in the same era, as Dave mentioned.

The goal is not to discount any comparison, it's simply to make the comparison "fair".
Old 05-04-21, 10:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Then compare Tesla to Tesla if you chose to discount any comparison to other cars.
LOL, if Teslas are safer it;s due to them always being driven slower than other traffic because the owners have range anxiety.
Old 05-04-21, 11:34 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Bottom line is a Tesla using autopilot is much better than other cars on average, there has been no attempt to hide underlying numbers so what's the problem? A win is a win especially when it comes to safety. If other driver assistance tech is as good or better than Tesla then fantastic.
There has been less Lexus LC500 involved in crashes than a Tesla. Lets not factor in there is more Teslas on the Road than a LC500. What I stated is a fact. So a LC500 is safer than any Tesla. See how that doesn't make the argument fair?

Anyway, statistics shows that the age group between 16-24 are involved in more accidents than 25-80+ combined. The average age of a Model 3 owner is 46, Model X/S is 53. Now a lot of other car model / brands have as old or older average driver age. However, the majority of 16-24 year old do not drive a Tesla because they simply can not afford one. This further skews the statistic you posted. If only older people drive your brand car, obviously your brand will be involved in less accidents. You can not look on some random statistic with a few variables that make a Company look good as proof of anything without looking at the whole picture. I know you love Tesla but you need to be objective.

There are many factors at play and one can not simply call Tesla as safe or safer than other brands. They might be, they might not. Your statistic certainly doesn't prove Tesla and Auto Pilot is safer than other car brands.

Old 05-04-21, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
if Teslas are safer it;s due to them always being driven slower than other traffic because the owners have range anxiety.

Och has brought up an excellent point. Take note.

Range-anxiety often does mean slower, safer speeds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-04-21 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-04-21, 11:48 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Your statistic
Not my stat.
Old 05-04-21, 12:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Anyway, statistics shows that the age group between 16-24 are involved in more accidents than 25-80+ combined. The average age of a Model 3 owner is 46, Model X/S is 53. Now a lot of other car model / brands have as old or older average driver age. However, the majority of 16-24 year old do not drive a Tesla because they simply can not afford one. This further skews the statistic you posted. If only older people drive your brand car, obviously your brand will be involved in less accidents. You can not look on some random statistic with a few variables that make a Company look good as proof of anything without looking at the whole picture. I know you love Tesla but you need to be objective.
Are you saying the average age of drivers of all other brands combined is lower than for Tesla? That's the only way our augment could be valid, which it isn't. Since we are talking about totality of brands that means inexpensive all the way to very expensive. The average is a fair comparison you simply don't like the stat.
I know you love Tesla
I am on the side of technology not any one company. Period. Since Tesla is currently the runaway winner in the EV space and technology in general I tend to look at them favourably. The above is lazy and tiring, don't like something scream "fanboy".
Old 05-04-21, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

As usual I post hard numbers people counter with nothing but opinion.
hard numbers?

that msn piece (hardly a bastion of great journalism, just an aggregator mostly clickbait) is grabbed from a site call benziga, a stock news site, and of course the article on the site does talk about and quote the stock. and the article itself quotes a 'report' from Loup Ventures, a venture capital firm, saying that autopilot's safe because they report a lot of data and it's better data than the data from all other cars on the road, which as has been pointed out, is a fake comparison. the article is a total puff piece to promote tesla stock.

Old 05-04-21, 12:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I am on the side of technology not any one company. Period. Since Tesla is currently the runaway winner in the EV space and technology in general I tend to look at them favourably. The above is lazy and tiring, don't like something scream "fanboy".
as tireless defender of the flame, do you own a tesla car, and if not, why not?
Old 05-04-21, 12:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you own a tesla car, and if not, why not?
No. One, I am paying off a mortgage and two, I frequently buy and sell cars and 3, I already own 4 or 5 cars at any given time. When I retire (hopefully soon) I will buy a Tesla or maybe another EV brand whatever I feel is the best at the time. When I do buy an EV it will very likely be paid for in full via EV stocks, and spoiler alert I own other than Tesla.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as tireless defender of the flame, do you own a tesla car, and if not, why not?

Old 05-04-21, 01:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

No. One, I am paying off a mortgage and two, I

I will buy a Tesla or maybe another EV brand whatever I feel is the best at the time.
All this time I thought you had a Tesla 3
Old 05-04-21, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

New Tesla Autopilot Statistics Show It’s Almost As Safe Driving With It As Without

huh 🤔
Old 05-04-21, 02:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If I'm following his logic correctly he's saying in theory this would be the stat, in other words not how autopilot is used but if it was in theory used in the typical city/highway ratio. Do I have that right? The comments are telling

https://ideas.4brad.com/new-chart-te...-safety-record
Old 05-04-21, 02:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla Model Y In Autopilot Destroys a Michigan Cop Car

Glad the ticketed the driver.
Old 05-04-21, 02:45 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, if Teslas are safer it;s due to them always being driven slower than other traffic because the owners have range anxiety.
This is your opinion or fact?
Old 05-04-21, 02:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
This is your opinion or fact?
I found it funny. I generally find Toyotas to be the slowest with the occasional Prius driver hogging the left lane

Quick Reply: Car and Driver tests Tesla's autopilot