Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 06:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Default 2023 IS 500: 1,400-mile, 6-week thoughts and impressions

I've had my 2023 IS 500 F Sport Performance Premium, whose name feels way too long when I type it, for about six weeks and managed to rack up 1,400 miles as of today. I wanted to give some thoughts and impressions on what it has been like to live with this car over a decent variety of driving situations over this time and over these miles. I've driven it on shorter trips to the store and the doctor's office as well as on the interstate for over 100 miles in a day, in the pouring rain, no less. Even though I work from home, it manages to get itself out onto the road somehow.

Journalists have covered this car pretty well, so I think I will spare both myself and you all from a thorough review of the car and just talk highlights. What you really need to know about this car is that it's essentially a glorified engine-swapped IS 350 (though, more accurately, the whole drivetrain was swapped). It does, however, have a few unique touches, like the quad exhaust outlets, the more aggressive rear "diffuser", and the Yamaha rear chassis damper (cribbed from the LC, apparently). However, for better or worse, in daily driving, I do not notice much of a difference in how this car feels compared with an IS 350 F Sport, especially if the IS 350 had the Dynamic Handling Package. What I do notice is that the V-8 is always present, moreso than the V-6 in the IS 350. The cold starts are just fun every time, and at around 1800-2000 RPM, the engine develops a bassy rumble as I accelerate to city-traffic speeds.

So, what else is new? The rear sunshade is an unexpectedly-handy item, and I really like using it on sunny days to keep the cabin a little cooler (in theory). Memory seats are a plus, but, unlike my IS 350, my wife has been refusing to even test-drive the IS 500, for fear that I'll be a nervous wreck the whole time - which is not totally off-base. I suppose useless memory seats are better than no memory seats. The 360-degree camera system looks pretty terrible, but it works. It is very useful for centering myself in a parking space, particularly when in reverse, as well as helping me to get nice and close to curbs in front or or behind the car without actually hitting them. These features are not exclusive to the IS 500, but they are standard on the Premium trim, thankfully. The only other differences I can think of from my IS 350 are the Torsen limited-slip diff and the decidedly-prettier "Satin Chrome" interior trim in place of the "Black Geometric" trim on the IS 350. I guess Lexus corporate heard my wife when she complained that the IS 500 seemed too similar to the IS 350.

I've also got the Lexus Integrated Dashcam, which is great. I'd managed to procrastinate getting a dash camera through the entire ownership of my IS 350, so I'll definitely take one pre-installed, thanks. It's a fine dash camera, but nothing to write home about.

This car is something special when it comes to the actual driving experience and the sort of mythology about it. I mean, just look at the engine bay. It's almost an RC F engine bay, sans the blue intake plenum - which has been powder-coated silver instead. And when I drive the car, I get the sense this car is centered around one thing - enjoying this Lexus V-8 for all it's worth. It doesn't feel super sharp and darty like some "sporty" cars I've driven. It doesn't have massive brakes or a big wing. Who cares? We have the V-8, and that's enough.

In all seriousness, on a back road, where things are twisty, the car feels almost the same as my IS 350 did. It's a little softer in Normal or Sport S, but in Sport S+, the body control gets cleaner. It's not a staggering difference, where I am imaging myself driving around Laguna Seca in an RC F GT3, but it's enough to reduce body roll a bit - just like in an IS 350 with Adaptive Variable Suspension. The difference is down to the drivetrain. While the V-8 has a redline of 7300 RPM, I don't feel the need to hit that engine speed every time I want to have fun. It has a lot of torque throughout the rev range, and as long as I am on the gas, the transmission snaps off shifts with purpose. It does feel very motorsport-inspired - fitting, as the drivetrain was plucked from an RC F. Yet, the ride is soft and comfortable, and I have ventilated seats and a shade up in the back. Meanwhile, the engine has such an angry mechanical scream to it after 5000 RPM or so that I have to hit redline at least once or twice... "while I'm out here, might as well!" I don't think it will ever get old.

Well, perhaps I could have even more engine sound. After the car warms up a bit, the exhaust gets rather quiet. In all but flat-out driving, it's muted. I can still hear the engine; don't get me wrong. But, it deserves to be heard more often and more clearly.

I have to talk about that transmission: the AA80E. It's been catching a lot of flack from journalists and even some owners of this car for being unrefined, rough, and a bit dim-witted. As for me, I'd say they are right. Sometimes, the car shifts in a dopey, unsmooth way a low RPMs, especially when cold. It seems to refuse to drop down to a low gear unless I hit the kick-down pedal, and when driving in Sport S+ or manual mode, the shifts can be harsh if I am below about 4000 RPM or so, causing a little bobble-head motion from everyone in the car.

However, I don't think that any of those things are deal-breakers, nor do they make the transmission a "bad" transmission. When in manual mode, I have access to some of the most addictive downshifts whenever I pull the left paddle. The transmission can rev-match properly, unlike the transmission from my IS 350, and it sounds amazing while doing it - it has a sort of "brap" noise to it. Then, when I am really on it, the upshifts are executed in a small fraction of a second, with a satisfying snap accompanying them when near redline. And then, when it's time to cool off, I can switch it back into Normal mode and automatic shifting. It's quite smooth when on the move and generally feels a little less lazy than the IS 350 did, partially thanks to having more torque, but also thanks to the transmission having a slightly different tune to it which is especially noticeable in, say, 40%-throttle applications when merging onto the highway.

I gave my sister a ride to and from the airport in this car this past weekend, while my wife carried us around in her 330i while we were out and about on Saturday. I'll just brag a little and say my sister preferred the IS 500 in terms of comfort, saying she "really like(d) the seats" and thought it was "more smooth than the BMW". Also, I did get on it once, and she said it "felt so fast!" and compared it to a roller coaster. I don't think she's been in many cars more exciting than a Kia Sedona before, but still, a roller coaster is good company.

All in all, this thing is just amazing. I don't think reviewing it matters at all, as it is something truly special. It's far from perfect. It's not as raw or sharp as some other cars in this class, and the ergonomics are not amazing inside, either. However, this car is one of the only cars I've owned that really makes me feel something when I drive it - to the point where even weeks later, I still feel my heart beating after a good pull or two. It's just plain fun to drive while being legitimately fast... what more do I want in a sedan?
Old 03-27-23, 09:22 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

what a gorgeous color! like any otherwise good looking modern lexus it just needs to ditch the spindle grille and i'd have no complaints

also seems like a cold air intake and/or exhaust may be necessary lol
Old 03-27-23, 10:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Dang you! Making me want to go IS500 instead of IS350!
Old 03-28-23, 03:47 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

1400 miles in 6 weeks? My man! 😎👏🏽

This car gives you all the feels: Accomplishment, Exclusivity, Enthusiasm. and Anticipation. Honestly, you can’t ask for anything more in this price point.

Keep on wracking up those miles! 💙
Old 03-28-23, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

All in all, this thing is just amazing. I don't think reviewing it matters at all, as it is something truly special. It's far from perfect. It's not as raw or sharp as some other cars in this class, and the ergonomics are not amazing inside, either. However, this car is one of the only cars I've owned that really makes me feel something when I drive it - to the point where even weeks later, I still feel my heart beating after a good pull or two. It's just plain fun to drive while being legitimately fast... what more do I want in a sedan?
Great write up Its the V8. And it's a BIG V8. What I like about the IS500 is that they're no V8 nomenclature anywhere on the exterior that I know of. Very special and happy you enjoy it
Old 03-29-23, 03:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by DLPTony
1400 miles in 6 weeks? My man! 😎👏🏽

This car gives you all the feels: Accomplishment, Exclusivity, Enthusiasm. and Anticipation. Honestly, you can’t ask for anything more in this price point.

Keep on wracking up those miles! 💙
Thanks friend. I hope to keep on stacking miles! This is not a museum piece - I'll leave that to the collectors.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
what a gorgeous color! like any otherwise good looking modern lexus it just needs to ditch the spindle grille and i'd have no complaints

also seems like a cold air intake and/or exhaust may be necessary lol
The intake sound is actually really good! I made an IG reel recently that I believe demonstrates this.

View this post on Instagram

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Dang you! Making me want to go IS500 instead of IS350!
Haha it depends, if I am being honest. If I was commuting 10+ miles every day on the interstate, I think the 350 is a better option. I'd feel better about the gas mileage and putting it through the daily grind. The IS 500 would make a killer daily from a driving perspective, but it would be less efficient.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Great write up Its the V8. And it's a BIG V8. What I like about the IS500 is that they're no V8 nomenclature anywhere on the exterior that I know of. Very special and happy you enjoy it
This is true. My dad, when he saw the car, asked me, "What does it have, a V-6?"
Old 03-29-23, 03:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Thanks for the update and I am glad you are enjoying the car! It's beautiful!
Old 03-29-23, 11:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks friend. I hope to keep on stacking miles! This is not a museum piece - I'll leave that to the collectors.

The intake sound is actually really good! I made an IG reel recently that I believe demonstrates this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqV89GTg2JQ/

Haha it depends, if I am being honest. If I was commuting 10+ miles every day on the interstate, I think the 350 is a better option. I'd feel better about the gas mileage and putting it through the daily grind. The IS 500 would make a killer daily from a driving perspective, but it would be less efficient.

This is true. My dad, when he saw the car, asked me, "What does it have, a V-6?"
My commute is 50 miles round trip each day. Mileage is very important to me. With the current 350, I am getting 27 during the summer and 25 during the winter. Gas is $4.29/gallon in my neighborhood. I have to consider this. Plus with all the rains, all my local streets and highways have massive potholes which no one is fixing, which makes my commute like Frogger every day. That, or mud all over the road. I am so meticulous with my car, all these things kill me each day commuting and make me rethink a car with low profile tires. But I must press forth!
Old 03-30-23, 04:11 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My commute is 50 miles round trip each day. Mileage is very important to me. With the current 350, I am getting 27 during the summer and 25 during the winter. Gas is $4.29/gallon in my neighborhood. I have to consider this. Plus with all the rains, all my local streets and highways have massive potholes which no one is fixing, which makes my commute like Frogger every day. That, or mud all over the road. I am so meticulous with my car, all these things kill me each day commuting and make me rethink a car with low profile tires. But I must press forth!
When driven as a commuter, the IS 500 is within 2-3 mpgs of my old 2016 IS 350. When driven like a bat outta hell (the way I drive), the cars were still within 2-3 mpgs. Is there really that much difference between 14mpg and 16mpg? To me, there isn’t 😜, so don’t let the mpgs be the sticking point for you. The V8 has been tweaked several times over the years and can be surprisingly efficient.

If you were into that sort of thing… 😎👍🏽
Old 03-30-23, 06:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by DLPTony
When driven as a commuter, the IS 500 is within 2-3 mpgs of my old 2016 IS 350. When driven like a bat outta hell (the way I drive), the cars were still within 2-3 mpgs. Is there really that much difference between 14mpg and 16mpg? To me, there isn’t 😜, so don’t let the mpgs be the sticking point for you. The V8 has been tweaked several times over the years and can be surprisingly efficient.

If you were into that sort of thing… 😎👍🏽
Yeah, I guess at the end of the day, my fuel economy in the IS300 AWD wasn't any better than this IS500. 19 combined is pretty good for a V-8.
Old 03-31-23, 05:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Yeah, I guess at the end of the day, my fuel economy in the IS300 AWD wasn't any better than this IS500. 19 combined is pretty good for a V-8.
I was gong to say the same thing. When I had my IS350 the gas mileage was embarrassingly terrible on a day to day basis, around 18mpg, that the V8 can’t be much worse. I would get the IS500 all day. My M340 in comparison got about 23mpg on a day to day basis.
Old 05-18-23, 09:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

I just wanted to give an update on how things have been going in this thread as well. I have a dedicated thread on this particular journey over on the IS 500 sub-forums as well, take a look, if you dare: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ter-panel.html

Suffice it to say, on April 1st, while my car was parked, a large tree branch broke off of a nearby tree and fell onto my IS 500. It struck the rear quarter panel, causing a dent, no more than two inches in diameter. Still, on the quarter panel, it was very noticeable, and due to its location right on a crease in the bodywork, I expected it to be a problem. Nonetheless, I worked with the staff of the hotel at which my wife and I were staying to see if they could help me out, since it happened on their property. They agreed to cover the deductible on the insurance, which meant that, out-of-pocket, I paid nothing for the repair. Or, that's what I initially thought.

So, I asked around for body shop recommendations. A gentleman in our local Lexus owners' club recommended a particular shop in Duluth, not far from where I live - 20 or so minutes, in fact. Since I respected his opinion, I asked no further questions and set up an appointment to have them look at the car. After getting the estimate from my own insurance and sending it over, I dropped the car off at this shop to have it inspected and hopefully worked on on Wednesday, April 19. Of course, they found "additional damage" which really amounted to their election to blend more of the body panels than what my insurance had initially estimated were needed. After a couple of days, my insurance approved it, and I got an ETA to the effect of the following. "We should have you squared away by end of next week- maybe a couple days longer if we have to wait on insurance for anything."

Spoiler alert: That ETA aged poorly.

Come the next Thursday, I call to inquire about the status of the vehicle, since it should, in theory, be ready the next day. I had received no communication from anyone until this point other than a notification that my insurance had approved the supplement on Monday. My advisor is away from his desk, so I leave a message. Then, I wait.

Friday morning, he has still not returned my call, so in the afternoon I elect to call myself. They say they had to order some replacement parts for the vehicle and are also waiting on paint supplies to arrive, so it will be another week. Again, I am told "end of next week" is the expected completion date. If I have read the tea leaves correctly, the car has had little to no actual fixes performed during this time - perhaps dent removal, but nothing else, if they haven't even begun paint work yet after more than a week in the shop. By this point, it is April 28th.

The next week (the week starting with May 1st), my phone is practically going crazy with notifications that they're opening doors, turning the car on, and so on. Also, on May 1st, I got my wisdom teeth extracted. So, for the next two days, I was pretty out-of-it. But, I know they are working on something at this point, based on the activity. By Wednesday, I start getting curious as to how things are going, since there was an ETA of the end of the week. Before I can ask, I receive an email:

Good afternoon Mr. Rentz- Please see the supplement request we have sent to Geico as we are needing to blend the rear bumper for paint match as your vehicle has a new color and some toners are not available yet. We are waiting for their reply so we may proceed with the repairs. I will call you as well and explain this to you as well. Thank you sir.
Regards,
My gut reaction to this is... "Huh?" Obviously, Infrared is a paint color that is available only on a few Lexus models, but "new"? I don't think so. So, the next day, I call back and try to get some answers. (As he promised in the email, my advisor did not actually call me back.) After some negotiating with the front desk staff, I manage to get someone on the phone who can explain it. He gave me a spiel about how paints look different across different model years such that this year's Infrared may be slightly different from prior years. I silently disbelieve him, and he goes on to explain that they couldn't get the exact toners needed for my paint, so that is why they also needed to blend the bumper. I still am unconvinced that they could not have known about this problem earlier in the process.

On the next day, Friday, I manage to get my adjuster over at Geico on the phone, and she does a much better job explaining the root of the problem - the bumper itself. See, the bumper is plastic, whereas the quarter panel is metal. Plastic refracts light a bit differently from metal, so even the same paint may appear different to the eye on a bumper when compared with a quarter panel. As such, they needed to blend the bumper to try and mask the issue. She went on to say that this is probably worth it in the long run to make the re-spray less obvious and that many shops simply wouldn't bother doing this. After this explanation, I feel much more comfortable with the idea of giving them another week to sort this out. "End of next week", I might add, is the exact ETA they gave me when I spoke with the shop about this.

Fast forward to Tuesday, May 16th. I happen to notice the car has been driven over to the nearby Lexus dealership. No one had mentioned anything about this drop-off to me, so I call the dealership to get an idea of what's going on. I would've called the body shop, but I was starting to feel like I just didn't want to talk to them. Anyway, the dealership person I spoke with said it's likely they need to recalibrate the safety systems on the car. As it turns out, they were right. The next morning, the advisor at the body shop emails me stating it needed to have the blind-sport monitor reset, as the bumper had been off the car. Makes sense, I suppose. But then, he says it still needs to be polished and detailed before it'll be ready to go. Not to mention, they need to send over a "final bill" to Geico with the invoice from the dealership.

​​​​​​​Good morning Ian- Your vehicle had top go the dealer yesterday to have calibrations done to reset the blind spot monitors for the rear bumper as you saw we had it off of the vehicle to do the repairs and I am waiting for it to come back from Lexus and it will still need to be polished and the vehicle cleaned and we will need to send Geico your final bill with invoices from dealer for payment. I will update you again tomorrow morning. Thank you.
The next morning (by the time I am writing this message, yesterday morning, May 18th) came, and by 11:15 AM, I was convinced I was not getting any updates. Spoiler alert - I was not. However, I did notice some activity on the car that day, so I believe they worked on something relating to my car. The entire day went by, and I didn't get any news. I was tempted to call or email, but I decided that popping in unannounced in the morning might send a message. So, that is what I plan to do.

I am exhausted. After expecting this work to take under two weeks, I've now been without my 2023 IS 500, which, by the way, I've owned for a measly three months, for an entire month. 33% of the time I've owned it, it has been in this body shop's possession. It feels very, very bad. I am appalled it takes a full month to repair a relatively small dent with the most minor of paint damage - heck, I am not sure it even went through the color coat. Hopefully tomorrow they can give me some good news.
Old 05-19-23, 03:28 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

That must have been one heck of a branch. Personally I don’t care for blending the bumper for the exact reason you said, it’s plastic so it doesn’t match from the factory anyway.
Old 05-19-23, 02:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Car is back and looks good! Been a little busy today, so I haven't gotten the best photos yet.

My wife and I went out for boba tea to celebrate.
Old 05-19-23, 04:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Congrats you finally got it back! Stuff like that is why I learned how to do a lot of stuff myself, it's infuriating having to deal with services these days.

Quick Reply: Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!