Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 05:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow how is possible to get that mileage. Are you doing 50mph on highways?

I get maybe 16-18 mpg in my cars.
Old 07-06-23, 07:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,909 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Wow how is possible to get that mileage. Are you doing 50mph on highways?

I get maybe 16-18 mpg in my cars.
I was going 70 to 80 MPH while cruising. There were some, shall we say, spirited passes in there.
Old 07-06-23, 07:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

though it isn't a big luxury coupe, it's got the engine and the overall personality of one. To do some grand-touring driving in it felt really satisfying.
The big V8 is the key. No replacement for displacement. No start stop to annoy. Great update
Old 07-08-23, 09:00 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I was going 70 to 80 MPH while cruising. There were some, shall we say, spirited passes in there.
No need to dress it down. Lolol
We all know what that means.

Last edited by Margate330; 07-08-23 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-08-23, 09:23 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,078 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
LOL!! Yup…road warrior-ism…that’s what it means. 😎😉😜
Old 07-08-23, 04:59 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Margate330
Originally Posted by DLPTony
LOL!! Yup…road warrior-ism…that’s what it means. 😎😉😜
Haha did I mention I drove through Mexico to get there?
Old 01-04-24, 10:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Default 2024 Updates!

Hello, everyone! Happy New Year, if I haven't wished it to you in some other way since the start of the 2024 year. I just wanted to let you guys know how my wife and I have been faring in our ownership of the two vehicles we've got. Of course, I am referring to our IS 500 F Sport Performance (ahem.. Premium) and our X3.

2023 BMW X3 sDrive 30i
Time since delivery: 7 months
Miles: 5500

My garage seems somewhat cramped when I try to fit both cars into the photo from inside.

First, I want to mention some aspects of our X3 and how it's been doing. Let's start off with the positives - and first of those is the 28.0 MPG on the dot average fuel economy since new. That's not half bad for a 4,000-pound bread box on wheels. That's on top of the fact that it does feel genuinely peppy. The turbo comes on strong at low RPM, and I never feel the need to give it the full throttle treatment in any normal driving situation. And, the transmission is fantastic, though it is perhaps a bit too eager to get me into higher gears when left in Comfort mode. But, in Sport mode, this X3 is pretty responsive and natural to drive. You may ask, what about Sport Plus? It seems highly unnecessary. It's even more aggressive than the Sport S+ mode in my IS 500, and other than actually bombing down a back road, it is unusable. Sport mode is the Goldilocks setup.

Other than that, the X3 has been our go-to any time my wife and I need to go somewhere farther away, as we tend to save the IS 500 for shorter trips or for times when I have a specific event I am going to. It has loads of cargo space in the back, and it easily hauls things like folding chairs, Christmas gifts in large bags, big tupperware, and any other moderately-large items you can think of that might be somewhat of a hassle to squeeze into the IS. It's not that our old 330i wouldn't have been able to carry those things, but the much larger opening in the back makes it easier to deal with. Having slightly more interior space overall also makes most drives just that extra bit more comfortable and relaxing.

Seeing the sparkle in the Phytonic Blue Metallic paintwork makes washing this car worth it.

There have been a couple of minor issues with this particular car, though. I will stress that they are minor, but for someone like me who is a bit particular about how a car feels and sounds going down the road, hard to accept. A couple of months ago, we started having a pretty consistent rattle in the sunroof. We took it into the dealer for its first oil change service and asked them to take a look at the noise while it was in. They claimed to have fixed the issue by adjusting the alignment of the sunroof, but, about halfway home from the dealership that day, the noise returned and has been just as bad as it was prior. When it rains, the noise doesn't happen, but any other time, even the slightest crack in the road causes it to occur. So, one of these days, we need to take it back in before I lose my mind. The only other issue we've had has been with the seats - specifically, I can't seem to find a good position for longer drives. My lower back always hurts if I am in the car for more than 30 minutes at a time. It's pretty minor, and I have to say that overall, I don't find the seats uncomfortable. They actually are pretty supportive if a bit firm - just, I tend to be surprised when I get out and find my back to be hurting. Alas.

All in all, the X3 has continued to deliver. Yeah, rattles in a new car are disappointing, but I can't complain about much else. The car genuinely does things well in almost every way. No, it is not thrilling to drive, but I have to say I do find myself enjoying it. It still feels like a relative of our 330i, which was a very fun car indeed. Most of all, it serves us well as a car we can take just about anywhere and do anything with. There are times when I would rather not be in the IS 500 for whatever reason, but the X3 is just versatile enough that it can fill in those gaps - particularly because we have some older folks in the family who probably wouldn't appreciate having to get in and out of the relatively-low IS. The X3 is a perfect height for those folks, and that's honestly a big reason why we traded up to it.

And now, the Lexus.

2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance Premium
Time since delivery: 11 months
Miles: 8500

Thanks to the cold weather, this is about the most exotic thing the IS 500 is doing right about now.

The IS 500 has basically been the solo-Alex errand car lately, since it is too cold to do much of anything else with it with its summer tires. I've contemplated going to an all-season set, but honestly, I do prefer having the summer tires for the added performance in fair weather. And, while I could run a winter set in addition to summers, I don't have a ton of garage space in which to store them. I also imagine my wife would get tired of looking at them. Anyway, the car still feels great as long as I drive it during the day with temps over 40 degrees F. I definitely am looking forward to upgrading the tires - possibly to the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. I'm down to 6/32" in the rear, so I will likely get a few more months out of the OE tires.

Any issues with the IS 500? Well, sadly, yes. I still haven't managed to get the rear sunshade rattle fixed, but that's mostly my fault for procrastinating. I have not mentioned it to anyone at the dealership service department yet. The other issue has been a low-RPM chirp that comes and goes seemingly dependent on the temperature. I have a thread about it over in the 3IS forums. There are various theories about what it is. One is that it's normal high-pressure fuel pump noise that can be remedied by replacing the HPFPs, but that it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. Another is that it is a belt or pulley making noise. However, that doesn't make a lot of sense with the car having so few miles. The dealership tech thought it was normal noise. Since I have the concern noted on the RO, I feel like it'll be fine if something does eventually happen. However, it is somewhat of a meme that many Lexus/Toyota models have "crickets" under the hood, so maybe it's just one of those things I have to accept. First-world problems...

Otherwise, I love it. The car is so smooth and refined, yet it really comes to life when I ask it to. No, it is not fast in a mind-blowing way, but it always feels good, which is more important to me. It is pretty easy to drive and is fun to mess around with on back roads. I also still have a bit of a love affair with the Infrared paint, too. I think most people didn't take notice of my silver IS 350, but the IS 500 turns heads. It looks mostly the same as my IS 350 outside of the color and some minor details, so I can only conclude that the paint is the wow-factor that is turning heads. Also, I've had a couple random drivers play with me before on the highway, and I am not sure they knew what they were looking at. One was in a BRZ, which may have not been stock because it looked lowered and was quite loud. Another was a pretty loud Infiniti Q50. In both cases, I kinda left them behind. I don't think they expected the V-8 to be under the hood. The sleep factor of this car is strong, and that may be one of my favorite things about it. I know it's hard to call a bright-red Lexus IS a sleeper, but most will probably assume it is a 350 or 300 unless they've been keeping up with their new cars.

I still have no idea what I'll replace it with. Maybe I will keep it for many years to come.

Anyway, that's all. I hope you have a wonderful start to 2024. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-04-24, 10:45 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

that red really is so cool looking! lol yea you make a good point about it being a "sleeper" despite the bright colors and styling... i think people are used to the 350 being the fast one (and an IS-F is just so rare) so i can definitely imagine many Q50 and BRZ types being caught off guard

my LS also makes some little sounds that go away in warm temps so idk maybe it's nothing to worry about... although in my case i think it literally might just be something within the dash because i've listened to the engine with the hood up and couldn't hear anything
Old 01-04-24, 12:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The rattle in the sunroof should be fixable. I had a '19 X3 and now a recently purchased '24 both with the pano sunroof with no rattles in either one. Hopefully the dealership can track it down and fix it. Keep us posted.
Old 01-05-24, 08:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that red really is so cool looking! lol yea you make a good point about it being a "sleeper" despite the bright colors and styling... i think people are used to the 350 being the fast one (and an IS-F is just so rare) so i can definitely imagine many Q50 and BRZ types being caught off guard

my LS also makes some little sounds that go away in warm temps so idk maybe it's nothing to worry about... although in my case i think it literally might just be something within the dash because i've listened to the engine with the hood up and couldn't hear anything
Hm, good to know. This noise is more clear when I open the hood, but I will say it's not loud enough that I hear it inside the car unless I drive next to a retaining wall or other cars, say in a parking garage.
Old 01-08-24, 10:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Default Took the Lexus out for a mountain run!

I just took the IS out yesterday for a little mountain-road driving. It was a little chilly, but the tires did all right anyway, with some restraint.

If you compare the above photos with the ones below, it is pretty clear how Infrared's multi-stage paint pays dividends in the sun! I love the cherry-red look when it's dimly lit and the sparkly-red finish in brighter lighting.

The miles are stacking up - it's been a little over 11 months since I took delivery of the car, and despite working from home, I still found time to drive it over 8,600 miles. (The photo below is from the mountains - I had about a 75-mile drive home).

This car is such a blast in the turns - it is hard not to smash the gas every time I exit a corner. I am glad I've got the synthetic oil in it now (after switching from the synthetic blend supplied by the dealership service department) so that it can handle a little spirited driving more reliably than before. It handles really well, too - while I can feel the weight, it never feels reluctant to turn, either. And, the diff is great. I can feel when it is working, and it usually does so unobtrusively at the same time. That's what I love about driving this car - I feel like I know what it is doing, yet it doesn't bombard me with information, either.

I also love that this car commands some attention. A stranger pulls up next to me in his Scat Pack Charger and rolls his window down, so I also do the same. He says "Nice 500; I was thinking about getting one of those before I ended up in this. Looks clean." I thanked him and said his Charger honestly looked clean too, especially considering it was a wide-body model. Anyway, it just shows that a V-8, RWD sport sedan speaks to a lot of people - I mean, go figure! It is hard to get them anymore outside of six-figure European performance machines - even then, most of those are AWD. Alas... But anyway, moments like that remind me that I should appreciate what I have. Even now, I tend to have wandering eyes, believe it or not. But for now, it is just that. I have a few more mountain runs I need to do before I worry about trading it - that's assuming I do at all.
Old 02-09-24, 11:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Post New tires for the IS!

I had some pretty bad outer tire wear on the IS 500 due to poor alignment, and, while I could have gotten away with driving on the tires longer with a proper alignment, I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade. Enter the Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02.

"Wait, what happened to Michelin?", you may be asking. Well, two things, er, happened to the Pilot Sport 4 S. One - price. Let's face it; even if I am buying high-end tires, a couple hundred dollars saved won't go amiss. The Continentals were just shy of $200 cheaper out-the-door than the Michelins. Secondly, I read and watched online reviews where the Extreme Contact Sport 02 (or, ECS02) was either nipping at the heels of or even besting the Michelin in terms of raw performance. That is pretty impressive considering the Michelin has been unquestionably at the top for several years. Though, the ECS02 is a newer design of tire, debuting in 2023, if I recall correctly. Not only that, but I also noticed some saying the ECS02 is quieter than the PS4S, which definitely helped my decision. The one aspect of those Michelins I did not like was their loudness over many different kinds of surfaces. Unbearable they were not, but to have a little less noise would be nice.

Since I put the tires on last Saturday - that's five full days of ownership - I have driven these tires around town, to the office in Atlanta, and on a couple of the best backroads I can get to without going more than a few miles from my house. I wanted to talk about how I feel that this tire is simply better than the original Bridgestone Potenza S001L tire that came as original equipment on the IS 500 as well as how it compares (at least in my foggy memory) to the Michelin.

In commuting feels much better than the OE Potenza. The steering has a touch more immediacy, and the ride is firm but never harsh. It isolates impacts rather well despite clearly having a firmer sidewall than the Bridgestone. Compared to the Michelin, the Conti is slightly softer, but it is also somewhat quieter on most pavement types. On concrete, the new tire tends to drone on, but it doesn't seem any worse than the Michelin in this regard. Smaller imperfections in the road are felt, but they never make the ride too busy. Overall, I can definitely live with this day-to-day, and I prefer the sportier feel over the lazy feel of the original tire.

In back-roads driving, it's also quite the upgrade. While steering does have a slight delay before truly loading up and turning the car, it has less of a dead zone on-center than the OE tire. Once it settles in a corner, the steering feels very adjustable and commands instantaneous responses from the tire. In this way, it is a lot less vague than the OE tire. Compared to the Michelin, it doesn't quite dive for the corner in the same way, but it is also a bit easier to judge the car's reactions with the Conti than with the Michelin. The Michelin is fun, but it also can be a little darty for my liking. The Continentals also seem to have just a bit more steering feel. In Normal drive mode, I can feel virtually no difference, but in Sport S+, the steering is noticeably heavier and more precise than before. This is where the tire truly shines, especially compared to the Michelin, which, while very direct, was also a bit numb.

All in all, I am a big fan. The ECS02 makes a difference in the personality of the car - while not a massive difference like the PS4S, I think I prefer this setup. It still feels properly tuned for what this car is to me. While more sporty, it stops short of ruining the cruiser vibes of this car and somehow provides a quieter ride and more road feel than the Michelin. Granted, I have not been up to my favorite mountain roads with these yet, but on the few curvy bits I could find, these already seem promising.

Old 02-10-24, 10:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

nice tire feedback and great pics! congrats.
Old 02-22-24, 10:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The rattle in the sunroof should be fixable. I had a '19 X3 and now a recently purchased '24 both with the pano sunroof with no rattles in either one. Hopefully the dealership can track it down and fix it. Keep us posted.
We got our sunroof rattle fixed! It took the dealer a full week to get it sorted. They started out just trying to adjust the glass and re-lubricate the seals, but they ended up having to take it apart. When they put it back together, they "re-torqued" all the fasteners, which seems to have fixed the issue, miraculously.

We had a 2024 X1 as a loaner for that week. While I found some joy in how light and zippy it felt, it lacked the refined experience to drive that our X3 provides. The X3 is just a peach to live with, and, as we found, has way more cargo space. The X1 gets a pass from me. I think even a base X3 with little in options will provide a more luxurious experience for not much more money.
Old 02-22-24, 12:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

We got our sunroof rattle fixed! It took the dealer a full week to get it sorted. They started out just trying to adjust the glass and re-lubricate the seals, but they ended up having to take it apart. When they put it back together, they "re-torqued" all the fasteners, which seems to have fixed the issue, miraculously.

We had a 2024 X1 as a loaner for that week. While I found some joy in how light and zippy it felt, it lacked the refined experience to drive that our X3 provides. The X3 is just a peach to live with, and, as we found, has way more cargo space. The X1 gets a pass from me. I think even a base X3 with little in options will provide a more luxurious experience for not much more money.
Glad to hear that they were able to fix the rattle. Those things can be tough to track down. I agree that the X3 is a well rounded CUV. It does a lot of things well. Even though there aren't any major differences, we're enjoying our new '24 a bit more than the '19. I saw your post on you getting back into your X3 after the X1 loaner and I can relate.

Quick Reply: Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!