Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 03:21 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Truly one of the nicest styled cars on the outside. The rims are just about the best I've seen on any sedan.
The Jetta styling itself isn't anything to write home about...but in GLI form, its a really good package and all. I still would consider an R-Line since you can get a 6 speed and comes with a nice pano sunroof standard that the GLI S doesn't have.

Last edited by TRDRAV4; 12-17-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 03:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

glad you're enjoying it! the VWs definitely have a fun-ness to them

so what's the difference between the jetta and passat? is the passat just like a slightly bigger jetta?
Old 12-17-20, 03:37 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops, delete
Old 12-17-20, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I wonder how much auto start stop adds to MPG? Always liked the VW Jetta. I also like the little LED light on the door panel for the door locks.
Old 12-17-20, 06:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
glad you're enjoying it! the VWs definitely have a fun-ness to them

so what's the difference between the jetta and passat? is the passat just like a slightly bigger jetta?
I believe the Passat is on an older platform, but essentially, it's VW's competitor for the Camry.

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
The Jetta styling itself isn't anything to write home about...but in GLI form, its a really good package and all. I still would consider an R-Line since you can get a 6 speed and comes with a nice pano sunroof standard that the GLI S doesn't have.
Yes, I'm with you on that. I like the R-Line a bit more than the lower trims. I do like that it's sorta a nothing car if you don't notice any of the GLI bits - somewhat of a sleeper.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder how much auto start stop adds to MPG? Always liked the VW Jetta. I also like the little LED light on the door panel for the door locks.
I have a weakness for those interior lights too! I'm guessing it probably adds 1 or 2 MPG in the city, and most of my driving is city driving.
Old 12-18-20, 10:03 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I believe the Passat is on an older platform, but essentially, it's VW's competitor for the Camry.
so size-wise is the jetta like somewhere between the camry and corolla? it definitely seems too big to be a 'compact' but isn't quite a full midsize either
Old 12-18-20, 10:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Deleted. Wrong thread.

Last edited by JDR76; 12-18-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-18-20, 12:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Stroock639
so size-wise is the jetta like somewhere between the camry and corolla? it definitely seems too big to be a 'compact' but isn't quite a full midsize either
Yes, the Jetta and Civic sedan are actually pretty comparably sized. The Civic was also considered to be pretty big for a compact sedan when it came out.
Old 12-20-20, 10:43 PM
i4collin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the GLI! As an owner of a 2015 MK7 Golf with around 90k miles, I have been pleasantly surprised with how well it's held up over time. The panoramic sunroof constantly creaks, but it's something I've learned to live with unless you constantly want to lubricate the seals. In the 90k miles I had it, it's never needed anything outside of normal maintenance with the exception of the water pump, which started leaking at 72k miles and VW of America paid 90% of the repair on, without me even having to get involved (cost me around $120). Happy motoring to you! I saw you previously owned an IS300, which I've been considering for my next vehicle. how has the ownership experience compared for you?
Old 12-21-20, 05:26 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

hey arentz! sorry i missed this as i've been a bit absent from CL for a bit, but congratulations! very nice initial impressions and then follow-up impressions some three weeks after -- a very enjoyable and entertaining read!

i'm curious as to whether you purchased the vehicle traditionally or whether you leased it. i know a lot of german car owners are really serial german car lessees and i seem to be in the bmw minority in that i purchased my car.

anyhow, i hope that the gli serves you well in the years to come with little ones on the way!
Old 12-21-20, 07:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by i4collin
Congrats on the GLI! As an owner of a 2015 MK7 Golf with around 90k miles, I have been pleasantly surprised with how well it's held up over time. The panoramic sunroof constantly creaks, but it's something I've learned to live with unless you constantly want to lubricate the seals. In the 90k miles I had it, it's never needed anything outside of normal maintenance with the exception of the water pump, which started leaking at 72k miles and VW of America paid 90% of the repair on, without me even having to get involved (cost me around $120). Happy motoring to you! I saw you previously owned an IS300, which I've been considering for my next vehicle. how has the ownership experience compared for you?
The sunroof is a pain! On my GTI, it was always making some kind of noise - the creaking was pretty terrible but easily fixable with silicone grease, as you noted. Other noises would come and go. Fingers crossed on the new GLI - though it lacks a sunroof, which is one of the reasons I decided to go for the "S" trim (beyond the price).

The IS 300 was an amazingly solid vehicle. The ownership was totally non-eventful. The main issues I encountered were tire bubbles due to potholes, but nothing reliability-wise. I lost three different tires due to potholes! So I would recommend making sure your tires have a road-hazard warranty. I only paid a fraction of the cost of a new tire each time, thanks to Costco's warranty. And I will say, gas mileage is not good on the IS either - I averaged an okay 19 MPG throughout the time I had with it. On longer highway drives it can creep into the high 20's if driven gently. Overall though, road trips are a decent area for the IS however. I went on a couple day-trips to various parts of Missouri, often through some twisty bits, and the IS is great at fighting fatigue thanks to those amazing seats. It was a bit tiring to drive on a two-day, 13-hour trip down through Oklahoma and Texas, but those roads are straight, boring, and often concrete. On better roads it's a great car for long distances.

Overall I could see myself owning an IS or RC again if it made sense. I liked it a ton.

Originally Posted by davyjordi
hey arentz! sorry i missed this as i've been a bit absent from CL for a bit, but congratulations! very nice initial impressions and then follow-up impressions some three weeks after -- a very enjoyable and entertaining read!

i'm curious as to whether you purchased the vehicle traditionally or whether you leased it. i know a lot of german car owners are really serial german car lessees and i seem to be in the bmw minority in that i purchased my car.

anyhow, i hope that the gli serves you well in the years to come with little ones on the way!
Hello! In this case we ended up financing because we are hoping to hang onto this vehicle longer. After the first few years, leasing makes less sense since the original value minus residual would need to be financed, which is usually more expensive than a used example of the same car... Otherwise, I would have considered leasing.

And yes, overall I have been pleased with this car so far. I did want to mention something I left out of the other write-ups thus far, which is that this car has had some rattles. There's one in the dashboard, and one in my left ear, seemingly near the seatbelt height-adjustment mechanism. I have been to the dealer and had both the glove box door and the seatbelt height adjustor replaced, but the noises persist. I think the dash rattle is actually somewhere around the infotainment screen area, as I can reproduce it by pressing up or down on the dash immediately above the screen.

This isn't the worst thing ever, because both noises seem to come and go. Some days, I have no rattles, other days, I am less lucky.
Old 12-21-20, 09:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you considering Eibach springs or something similar to get a sportier ride?

I bet the mild drop would look great too.
Old 12-21-20, 12:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by bagwell
Are you considering Eibach springs or something similar to get a sportier ride?

I bet the mild drop would look great too.
Lowered GLIs do look quite nice, but I'll see. Part of the reason for getting this car was to make the wife happy - not so sure she'd be a fan of the drop.

First mod, of course, has to be the tires. These Hankooks are not the business, especially for a FWD car with lots of torque.
Old 01-15-21, 12:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

The GLI has been trucking on just fine in the winter weather. It actually is very drivable in slush and light snow thanks to the differential. When traction gets lost, it feels very natural and unobtrusive.

I still haven't had a chance to get the interior rattles fixed, but hoping to finally overcome my fear of the dealer taking apart my interior and calling them up.

Some highlights:
  • I've been getting some pretty great fuel economy - about 28 MPG overall. I've been doing a little more highway driving, and my last couple of tanks have seen 30 or so MPG each.
  • I've had the chance to find some back roads, and I have to say, apart from these tires, I am still impressed by the differential. It's every bit as effective here as it was in the GTI.
  • These tires are not as terrible in snow as Tire Rack's reviews would have me believe, but they are certainly not sporty-feeling in the dry either.
  • I got a flat tire this week, and got it fixed. Of course, incidents like this always happen in the first couple months of a new car for me.
I met another GLI owner the other night when changing my flat tire. He had a black GLI 35th Anniversary. He said, "Hey, love the car bro!" through the window. I guess the GTI-community aspect carries over to GLIs...
Old 01-15-21, 12:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Still one of the best-looking sedans on the road. Can't get over how smooth and proportioned the styling is. And those rims.... perfection!
Thanks for the report.

Quick Reply: Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!