Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 06:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Thanks for the comprehensive response! Can you add the 330 into this ranking?
The 330i is just kinda strange. I drove it again today and could not figure out whether the steering is light or heavy. I think that's because the on-center responsiveness is crazy high in that car. It seems to have a very fast rack.

If I had to add it, I'd say it would be

2021 330i M Sport: Sport Mode
2021 IS350: Sport Mode
2021 330i M Sport: Comfort Mode

2020 GLI: Sport Mode
2016 GTI: Sport Mode
2021 IS350: Normal Mode

2016 GTI: Normal Mode
2020 GLI: Normal/Comfort Mode

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think its time to do a race with the wife. Time to head to the strip
Lol! I bet the IS350 would lose. Honestly, the 330i pulls like a freight train. Maybe at higher speeds it would catch up? The 330i seems a little weaker at high RPM. Though, I haven't really tried pushing the IS yet... Only a little over 100 miles on it right now.

Last edited by arentz07; 11-23-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 06:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by sorptd
Looks fantastic. Congratulations!
Lexus did a great job with this new refreshed IS. My favorite implementation of the spindle grill.
I feel the same. I think they nailed the front end of this car. My wife says she likes the front end of this car better than even the LC... On that, we can agree to disagree, but I see what she means. This IS's front feels very simple and on-theme.

Originally Posted by LH1
Congrats! Man, you've been busy. You and davyjordi haven't waited long to pull the trigger on new cars.

I know you're getting an IS 500 later this year. I look forward to that post.
Haha! I wish. We will see what the future holds. I do feel somewhat embarrassed to be that guy who is switching cars a lot... sorry, davyjordi :P
Old 06-07-21, 07:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Your new car looks great! You got a really nice color combination.
Old 06-07-21, 07:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Kira X
Your new car looks great! You got a really nice color combination.
Thanks. Yeah the sales manager hyped up how rare the combo was... but it's sublime.
Old 06-07-21, 07:59 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

welcome back i guess lol

and yes the way a lexus can spoil you is a serious problem, how do you think i feel knowing there's no longer a way to truly upgrade! i've satisfied my inner immaturity and adrenaline seeking with the E55, but can't drive it without subconsciously noticing its inferiority to the LS in several key regards... it's ok a quick tap of the gas pedal makes me quickly forget haha
Old 06-07-21, 08:07 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Stroock639
welcome back i guess lol

and yes the way a lexus can spoil you is a serious problem, how do you think i feel knowing there's no longer a way to truly upgrade! i've satisfied my inner immaturity and adrenaline seeking with the E55, but can't drive it without subconsciously noticing its inferiority to the LS in several key regards... it's ok a quick tap of the gas pedal makes me quickly forget haha
I think I know what you mean! I drove the wife's 330i today. Enough said, right? It's a great car to drive - super fun, easy to use - but just doesn't feel like as much of a luxury item as the IS in terms of build quality or comfort. It's a blast, though. I don't know if you could go wrong with one of the modern German luxury sedans.

Of course, even that E55 is in another league compared to my VW cars. 😁 You get what you pay for. Though both of them were great for the money.
Old 06-07-21, 09:48 PM
ashschwin
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Love the color combo, Lexus did an awesome job with the facelift on the 2021+ IS models
Old 06-08-21, 08:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think I know what you mean! I drove the wife's 330i today. Enough said, right? It's a great car to drive - super fun, easy to use - but just doesn't feel like as much of a luxury item as the IS in terms of build quality or comfort. It's a blast, though. I don't know if you could go wrong with one of the modern German luxury sedans.
3 series has always been more a 'premium' very fun to drive car than a luxury car.
Old 06-08-21, 09:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by ashschwin
Love the color combo, Lexus did an awesome job with the facelift on the 2021+ IS models
I know, right? It feels like the IS was mean to look this way from the start. Maybe the rear is the only part that isn't 100% agreeable, but I do actually like the trunk lid ducktail look and the diffuser/exhaust area.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
3 series has always been more a 'premium' very fun to drive car than a luxury car.
Oh, I think that's definitely true especially if we're talking about older 3-series... Even the F30 didn't feel quite as premium on the inside as the 3IS at the time. However, I will say the G20 is a step up in materials compared to the F30. The wood in particular looks really great. The steering wheel is also wonderful and chunky.

I think where it falls down is in some of the finer details - the armrests (both in the center console and on the doors) are not as soft or comfortable to use as those in the IS, for example. One thing that impresses me about the 330i is that, even with the M Sport package, the road noise level is very low. The IS has noticeably more road noise. That's pretty much the only "luxury" ding against the IS so far.

Last edited by arentz07; 06-08-21 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added photos of 330i
Old 06-08-21, 11:45 AM
arentz07
drives cars

This is how you know it's bug season...

edit: I just noticed the nice range number.
Old 06-08-21, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh, I think that's definitely true especially if we're talking about older 3-series... Even the F30 didn't feel quite as premium on the inside as the 3IS at the time. However, I will say the G20 is a step up in materials compared to the F30. The wood in particular looks really great. The steering wheel is also wonderful and chunky.
It's night and day. BMW interiors were nothing special up until a few years ago. E90 and F30 interiors full of flimsy plastics, G20 is much improved. A 2018 X5 interior before the 4th gen 2019 was downright pathetic for the price. Yet they sell. Which shows you the power of a badge. The steering wheel is nice and chunky because it has the M-Sport package, standard G20 have a thin leather wrapped steering wheel still. G20 overall is a major improvement and looks good inside and out imo.

Congrats on the new 330i and IS350 btw. Pictures don't do the refreshed IS justice. Looks great in person.
Old 06-08-21, 02:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's night and day. BMW interiors were nothing special up until a few years ago. E90 and F30 interiors full of flimsy plastics, G20 is much improved. A 2018 X5 interior before the 4th gen 2019 was downright pathetic for the price. Yet they sell. Which shows you the power of a badge. The steering wheel is nice and chunky because it has the M-Sport package, standard G20 have a thin leather wrapped steering wheel still. G20 overall is a major improvement and looks good inside and out imo.

Congrats on the new 330i and IS350 btw. Pictures don't do the refreshed IS justice. Looks great in person.
I currently have a 2019 X3 and a 2019 5 Series and the difference in the interiors is easily noticeable. The X3's interior is what I'd call "nice". The material quality and fit and finish are very good but overall the aesthetics are a bit spartan and familiar looking. We really like the X3 though. The interior in the 5 Series is several notches up from the X3. Soft touch surfaces everywhere (all 4 door pockets are fully lined), more wood trim, better seats and noticeably more quiet.
Old 06-08-21, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I currently have a 2019 X3 and a 2019 5 Series and the difference in the interiors is easily noticeable. The X3's interior is what I'd call "nice". The material quality and fit and finish are very good but overall the aesthetics are a bit spartan and familiar looking. We really like the X3 though. The interior in the 5 Series is several notches up from the X3. Soft touch surfaces everywhere (all 4 door pockets are fully lined), more wood trim, better seat and noticeably more quiet.
maybe it's just the development paths of both were separate for a long time and maybe bmw concluded suv drivers wanted more 'utilitarian' hard surfaces, but it seems bmw has really upped their game in the last couple of years and the interiors are becoming more similar across suvs and sedans. i also attribute this to a huge improvement in interiors of mainstream crossover and suvs, most notably kia/hyundai and jeep. in my santa fe i can tell where cost compromises were made, but it's still pretty amazing for the price. i have quilted nappa leather, double pane (front) windows, led everything, dual led gauge and infotainment displays, potent 2.5 turbo, etc.

Old 06-08-21, 03:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe it's just the development paths of both were separate for a long time and maybe bmw concluded suv drivers wanted more 'utilitarian' hard surfaces, but it seems bmw has really upped their game in the last couple of years and the interiors are becoming more similar across suvs and sedans. i also attribute this to a huge improvement in interiors of mainstream crossover and suvs, most notably kia/hyundai and jeep. in my santa fe i can tell where cost compromises were made, but it's still pretty amazing for the price. i have quilted nappa leather, double pane (front) windows, led everything, dual led gauge and infotainment displays, potent 2.5 turbo, etc.
Yeah consumers benefit from the competition and we all get better vehicles out of it. We got our X3 thinking it would come in handy for hauling larger items etc. It turns out we rarely need the capacity but it's a nice convenience when we do. We're thinking of going down to one car (we'd keep the 5 Series) but over the years we've become used to having two. Not a big deal for us but something we're considering.
Old 06-08-21, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I currently have a 2019 X3 and a 2019 5 Series and the difference in the interiors is easily noticeable. The X3's interior is what I'd call "nice". The material quality and fit and finish are very good but overall the aesthetics are a bit spartan and familiar looking. We really like the X3 though. The interior in the 5 Series is several notches up from the X3. Soft touch surfaces everywhere (all 4 door pockets are fully lined), more wood trim, better seats and noticeably more quiet.
Both yours are updated and far nicer. I'm more referring to F10 5-Series and F25 X3 respectively if we're comparing to yours. The interiors materials are such a let down and unbefitting their badge or price tag. But thank goodness we're past those now and onto new generations.

Quick Reply: Versa Note to 330i, VW GTI to GLI to Lexus IS!