Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22 | 03:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
This. There are many forum members who monitor this on the Tesla sites using stats by TeslaFi. Supercharging doesn't harm the batteries if the heat is managed properly. It used to be the case but the new BMS and charging curves are amazing. I really wish people would stop perpetuating old data. If you do the research, you will see the facts.
All the modern EV's are very good at managing battery life, and temp. The Polestar will use the AC to cool the batteries if needed. Also if it knows I'm heading to a supercharger (using Google maps for example), it will begin to precondition the battery to make charging more efficient. I'm definitely not worried about fast charging degrading the battery pack, it's the number of discharge/recharge cycles that will ultimately end the batteries lives
Old 03-18-22 | 04:03 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

There are a lot of factors at play when it comes to battery degradation. The charging rate is one of them.
Old 03-18-22 | 04:30 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Actually surprised to see the 0-60 mph time in the low 6 by these initial tests. Obviously not the quickest though.

Disappointed in the slow charging speed and range to an extent. Fast charging does sound great when it works, but good luck finding consistently working fast charging stations outside of Tesla's Superchargers. Ideally you would charge it at home at night anyways, but I get the overall complaints.

The ground clearance and X-Mode really stands out as the two advantages it has over the competition. This is clearly aiming to be a SUV EV and will appeal to current Subaru owners, while the competition is aiming for Crossover EV. The Mach-E having less ground clearance than a Mustang GT is always funny to me.

With that said, the final price will determine if it is actually worth buying over the competition. Outside of the Model Y, the Ioniq 5 looks like the segment leader.
Old 03-18-22 | 04:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nicedude
Actually surprised to see the 0-60 mph time in the low 6 by these initial tests. Obviously not the quickest though.

Disappointed in the slow charging speed and range to an extent. Fast charging does sound great when it works, but good luck finding consistently working fast charging stations outside of Tesla's Superchargers. Ideally you would charge it at home at night anyways, but I get the overall complaints.

The ground clearance and X-Mode really stands out as the two advantages it has over the competition. This is clearly aiming to be a SUV EV and will appeal to current Subaru owners, while the competition is aiming for Crossover EV. The Mach-E having less ground clearance than a Mustang GT is always funny to me.

With that said, the final price will determine if it is actually worth buying over the competition. Outside of the Model Y, the Ioniq 5 looks like the segment leader.
I've been using Electrify America fast chargers for my Polestar from San Jose all the way to Tracy. I've used them in Milpitas, Fremont and I've never seen any of their chargers offline, and I've never had to wait for a charger. I've talked to people who drove from SF to San Diego and always had access to an EA fast charger. You can also download their app and it will show you the status of their chargers, how many available, in use, and if a charger is taken it will show you how much percentage left of the person charging. Ideally early morning and evening are the best times to visit a charging station
Old 03-18-22 | 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicedude

I am really surprised that the ground clearance is that high, does lower the range unfortunately . Kudos to Subi for getting the clearance done right .

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-22 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-18-22 | 04:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I thought it was funny that Alex on Autos said that the goal of Toyota was 90% battery capacity remaining. Its not hard when the gross battery size is 73kwh but you only make 60kwh available...basically you start using up buffer to retain that 90%. Alex basically back calculated the available battery with the estimated charge times using the 6.6kw max charging rate and 9 hours to fully charge to get a net battery size of 60kwh...hahaha. I guess Toyota plans to slowly release more buffer over time to keep the 90% capacity rating. What a waste of potential range.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think Toyota will have the longest lasting EV batteries in the industry. They will be the leader.

I just looked up Tesla. I don’t expect Toyota to have such an issue like Car & Driver has

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...loss-warranty/

Old 03-18-22 | 05:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Toyota will have the longest lasting EV batteries in the industry. They will be the leader.

I just looked up Tesla. I don’t expect Toyota to have such an issue like Car & Driver has

Thats normal. All NCA/NMC lithium batteries lose ~5% in the first year and then steadies after that. The average across the Model 3 forums is 5-7% in the first year and then each subsequent year is about 1%. The Mach E is experiencing the same thing and so will Toyota...they just hide it in their buffer calcs. There is nothing magical about any of the batteries the OEMs are using...it is literally the same across the board. The secret sauce is the BMS and motors. Everyone, including Toyota, either uses LG, Panasonic, CATL and SKI.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Toyota will be using the same batteries as everyone else, they are not going to reinvent the wheel. They will just be trying different management tricks. In the end, their batteries will last as long as everyone else's
Old 03-18-22 | 05:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
. In the end, their batteries will last as long as everyone else's
Time will tell. We shall see what happens in 2032 The Toyota battery will last longer.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Time will tell. We shall see what happens in 2032 The Toyota battery will last longer.
Nope. They will retain 90% longer because they have a bigger buffer. Battery degradation is the same.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
There are a lot of factors at play when it comes to battery degradation. The charging rate is one of them.
This definitely makes sense. I don’t believe lack of fast charging is a problem for Toyota or Subi.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

This definitely makes sense. I don’t believe lack of fast charging is a problem for Toyota or Subi.
Lol. You're the one who complains the most of EV charging times. Yet Toyota is the worst in the industry and now it's not a problem. Bahahaha
Old 03-18-22 | 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lol. You're the one who complains the most of EV charging times. Yet Toyota is the worst in the industry and now it's not a problem. Bahahaha
Charging times are big issue across the electric battery segment. I don’t believe there is any future in charging at a charging station. So many problems for adoption. I believe that battery EVs are in a bubble (right now) and will come back to earth at some point. For those who want to charge at home, it makes a lot of sense..but for travelling, it just doesn’t work. Same with those who have no garage. . I’d expect Toyota’s to last a very long long time and charging at fast charging stations just accelerates battery problems. I know you defend BEVs with a strong passion, but it is really hard to get a word/opinion in sometimes. I just don’t really care for BEVs, this Toyota as well. But I like the side profile and I really want to see if this Toyota has mechanical perfection, like all of my Toyota’s in the past. I’m also interested in watching how Toyota markets their BEVs. Have a good night.
Old 03-18-22 | 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey689

The Solterra is exceptionally smooth and quiet, giving it a level of comfort beyond what we’d normally expect. It glides down the road, and handles dips and heaves with a stoic calm, even riding on the 20-inch wheels of the Limited and Touring trims.

Source

This is really nice to hear. Motor Trend said some similar comments.

Really not feeling the front end.

The we named dog “Solterra”

Really taken back that the button is not blue.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-22 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra