Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22 | 10:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can get an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD for $48k with tax credits and it's a vastly superior car. Hyundai must be celebrating right now.
And they should be. But they have a different customer base than Toyota and Lexus, and I think that's where the problem lies
Old 04-12-22 | 10:26 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've always said, Toyota/Lexus knows it's customers. Not silly at all
Unfortunately this is the exact same strategy the Detroit big three used in the 70s and 80s as the little Japanese cars from little brands like Toyota and Honda rolled by. And we all saw how that turned out for them in the long run. How the tables have turned now...

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can get an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD for $48k with tax credits and it's a vastly superior car. Hyundai must be celebrating right now.
Of course it's vastly superior. But will Toyota buyers even care when it's not a Toyota?
Old 04-12-22 | 10:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

And they should be. But they have a different customer base than Toyota and Lexus, and I think that's where the problem lies
I don't think Hyundai and Toyota are all that different. Their is significant cross section of people that buy both Toyota and Hyundai. I know many families that opted to buy Palisades over Highlanders. They would have a choice between an Ioniq and a BZ4X and if they compare the two, it's not competitive if one has a tax credit.
Old 04-12-22 | 10:38 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think Hyundai and Toyota are all that different. Their is significant cross section of people that buy both Toyota and Hyundai. I know many families that opted to buy Palisades over Highlanders. They would have a choice between an Ioniq and a BZ4X and if they compare the two, it's not competitive if one has a tax credit.
Not sure I agree. Toyota/Lexus are literally at the top when it comes to brand loyalty. Their core consumers will not even bother to look at anything that does not have a Toyota or Lexus badge.

Old 04-12-22 | 10:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I wish data was more publicly available that had the breakdown by model. I remember being privately shown Mercedes S-class consumer data showing where they lost a lot of buyers to the LS for a while but they came right back by the end of the W221 S-class lifecycle (LS had gotten old by then) and stayed.
Old 04-12-22 | 10:47 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

it's ho hum to me. the charging time is the deal killer here. mediocre range and pricing aren't helping either. one thing i'm sure is dealers would be stupid to mark this up. people will just go with Rav4 Prime or Tesla Y if the AWD bZ4X are priced around $55k with markups.
Old 04-12-22 | 10:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think an hour charging time doesn't help the EV mission which is to replace ICE over time. It entirely negates any consideration for me if this were in the Lexus RZ. I need something that can get me going in about 20 minutes after 2 hours of driving. Doubling that time would be painful and definitely a no go. I guess the FWD is an option but rather have AWD as it s a much much better experience.

Im looking forward to my Ioniq which could probably get me going in 15 minutes or less after 2 hours of driving. It will do 0-60 in less than 5 s to boot I think the Ioniq will be much more desired than this thing and sell way more.
i dont know what is 20m after 2hrs of driving? What does that mean?

However when it comes to BZ4X, it is really stupid from Toyota to have super slow charging on more expensive AWD model. Problem is not peak charging, problem is they say under 30m for FWD and around an hour for AWD model for 0-80%.

That is huge difference, that means FWD model has really nice and optimized charging curve, while AWD model has terrible charging curve.
Old 04-12-22 | 10:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not sure I agree. Toyota/Lexus are literally at the top when it comes to brand loyalty. Their core consumers will not even bother to look at anything that does not have a Toyota or Lexus badge.

^ ^ This ^^ Toyota and Lexus buyers are fiercely loyal. Most of the people on this forum are enthusiasts, and not typical Toyota/Lexus buyers. You can see by their car purchases in their signatures. In most cases you'll never find anything else in typical Toyota owner garages. Trust me on this, If there were no EV's, you would find nothing but Toyota's and Lexus in front of my house. Boring, but reliable

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-12-22 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-12-22 | 11:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont know what is 20m after 2hrs of driving? What does that mean?

However when it comes to BZ4X, it is really stupid from Toyota to have super slow charging on more expensive AWD model. Problem is not peak charging, problem is they say under 30m for FWD and around an hour for AWD model for 0-80%.

That is huge difference, that means FWD model has really nice and optimized charging curve, while AWD model has terrible charging curve.
It means after traveling for 2 hours, i typically take a break for 15-20 minutes to rest. I can pretty much drain the battery in 2 hours on a roadtrip going at near 80-90mph. A 15-20 minute charge would get me another 2 hours of driving. With the stupid charging curve of the AWD BZ4X, that time would more than double. Yes, i agree with you, Toyota has a stupid stupid charging curve for the AWD model.
Old 04-12-22 | 11:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Why is the default configuration FWD? That is going to be torque steer hell.
Old 04-12-22 | 11:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why is the default configuration FWD? That is going to be torque steer hell.
That's another issue, and it's a big problem with Toyota V6's like the Camry and Avalon, especially when you want to go into quick turns. The Camry TRD is a torque steer nightmare, and Toyota doesn't have any sense to put in a LSD to try and mitigate TS. For EV's they need to be either RWD or AWD, which is easy enough to do
Old 04-12-22 | 11:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

For EV's they need to be either RWD or AWD, which is easy enough to do
e-TNGA is supposed to be modular and capable of FWD, RWD and AWD. Don't get why the default is FWD leads me to believe that e-TNGA is a variant of Toyota's ICE platform.
Old 04-12-22 | 12:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

e-TNGA is supposed to be modular and capable of FWD, RWD and AWD. Don't get why the default is FWD leads me to believe that e-TNGA is a variant of Toyota's ICE platform.
I thought that at first, but it does seem like 40PL is a ground-up EV platform.
Old 04-12-22 | 12:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I thought that at first, but it does seem like 40PL is a ground-up EV platform.
Maybe technically but the packaging looks very FWD hybrid esque. If the platform can be RWD only I'd love to know why they went with FWD.
Old 04-12-22 | 12:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe technically but the packaging looks very FWD hybrid esque. If the platform can be RWD only I'd love to know why they went with FWD.
They purposely made the slowest possible EV going FWD. Weird.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra