Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22 | 04:28 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Hold up a second.

I was under the impression that:
1) CATL = LiFePo4 (less energy-dense)
2) Pana/LG/Samsung/Whatever - NMC (more energy-dense, more fickle in all other respects)

So... What's the problem with CATL?

As for battery warranty - look at how much capacity even severely abused Model S's are retaining. I wouldn't really worry about the battery in any sanely-designed EV. Let's forget about the (at least 1st gen) leaf (but not the lessons from it)
Old 04-13-22 | 05:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Is the CATL actually LFP or NMC? CATL makes all kinds of batteries.
Old 04-13-22 | 06:31 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

My (somewhat uneducated) guess is that it's predominantly LFP.
Old 04-13-22 | 06:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I don't think so. The LFP batteries are considerable less dense and require more space. The AWD and FWD versions have the same battery capacity and similar weight. I would expect 500 lbs heavier for an LFP at the same capacity as an NMC.

I don't understand why the AWD versions can't charge faster. The battery outputs more energy in AWD form as it's noticeably faster. A full sprint run will output significantly more energy than a fast charging session. Regen braking even inputs more energy than a fast charging session. It's weird that they limit it.

Edit: regen braking only inputs 83kw in a Model 3 so not as large as a DC fast charging session.

Last edited by EZZ; 04-13-22 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-13-22 | 11:05 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

I am a loyal Toyota/Lexus consumer, but Subaru, not Toyota, is actually at the top of the mass market chart.

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not sure I agree. Toyota/Lexus are literally at the top when it comes to brand loyalty. Their core consumers will not even bother to look at anything that does not have a Toyota or Lexus badge.

Old 04-14-22 | 09:15 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
I am a loyal Toyota/Lexus consumer, but Subaru, not Toyota, is actually at the top of the mass market chart.
In the context of this thread, they're literally the same.

Speaking of the Subaru, Doug just posted his review:

Old 04-15-22 | 01:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
If I’m not wrong, the FWD’s batteries come from Panasonic, hence faster charging.
While the AWD batteries comes probably from China, hence slower charging.

Like most EV’s, shortage of rare earth lithium and cobalt will result in high prices and huge waiting lists, and no choice but to source batteries from China.
Originally Posted by Tritonal
You're right, it looks like the battery pack for the AWD model is from CATL and FWD is from Panasonic. I'm assuming if the AWD had a battery pack from Panasonic, the max output would be 150 kWh as well. Hopefully they give the RZ 450e a battery pack from Panasonic and a stronger motor..
Hold up a second.

I was under the impression that:
1) CATL = LiFePo4 (less energy-dense)
2) Pana/LG/Samsung/Whatever - NMC (more energy-dense, more fickle in all other respects)

So... What's the problem with CATL?
Originally Posted by EZZ
Is the CATL actually LFP or NMC? CATL makes all kinds of batteries.
Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think so. The LFP batteries are considerable less dense and require more space. The AWD and FWD versions have the same battery capacity and similar weight. I would expect 500 lbs heavier for an LFP at the same capacity as an NMC.

I don't understand why the AWD versions can't charge faster. The battery outputs more energy in AWD form as it's noticeably faster. A full sprint run will output significantly more energy than a fast charging session. Regen braking even inputs more energy than a fast charging session. It's weird that they limit it.
Apparently, the FWD and AWD have 150 kW and 100 kW charging rates respectively, because they use different battery chemistries, but not sure exactly the battery chemistry.
Old 04-15-22 | 05:31 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

The Solterra having the same Daily scores as the Model Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5, and EV6 actually surprised me. Doing poorly on the Weekend scores was not surprising.

Looking like a small upgrade from the RAV4 Prime which is such a Toyota strategy.

The updated "American" interior for the ID.4 should be ready once VW starts producing the ID.4 in Tennessee later in 2022 so its Daily scores should improve for 2023.
Old 04-15-22 | 05:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicedude
The Solterra having the same Daily scores as the Model Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5, and EV6 actually surprised me. Doing poorly on the Weekend scores was not surprising.

Looking like a small upgrade from the RAV4 Prime which is such a Toyota strategy.

The updated "American" interior for the ID.4 should be ready once VW starts producing the ID.4 in Tennessee later in 2022 so its Daily scores should improve for 2023.
A very "subjective" scoring system IMO.
I don't think real world consumer sales figures are like this at all.
Should be a Toyota bZ EV instead of a RAV4 Prime.
Old 04-15-22 | 06:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicedude

Not surprising. The BZ4X is a slug compared to the most of its competitors. Teslas have a loyal following mainly because of how nicely they drive. He looked bored driving the BZ.

It's going to lose every comparison out there compared to its rivals.
Old 04-15-22 | 07:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not surprising. The BZ4X is a slug compared to the most of its competitors. Teslas have a loyal following mainly because of how nicely they drive. He looked bored driving the BZ.

It's going to lose every comparison out there compared to its rivals.
Will be interesting if Toyota bZ loses on sales too.
Does the bZ buyer want 0-60 in 3 seconds?
Does a Lexus 5LS buyer want conservative looks with some style like 1LS to 4LS?
The Toyota/Lexus buyer will give Toyota/Lexus a swift kick up the pants if Toyota/Lexus does not deliver what consumers want...
Old 04-15-22 | 07:28 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

It already lost on sales the moment Toyota announced they will only build 7,000 of them this year. The more pertinent question is whether the markups will be even worse than those on the RAV4 Prime.
Old 04-15-22 | 07:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
It already lost on sales the moment Toyota announced they will only build 7,000 of them this year. The more pertinent question is whether the markups will be even worse than those on the RAV4 Prime.
Only on sale in November 2022.
Old 04-15-22 | 07:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Does the bZ buyer want 0-60 in 3 seconds?
Does a Lexus 5LS buyer want conservative looks with some style like 1LS to 4LS?
The Toyota/Lexus buyer will give Toyota/Lexus a swift kick up the pants if Toyota/Lexus does not deliver what consumers want...
It doesn't have to be 3 seconds. It could be 5s or 4.5s and the consumer would probably be more than satisfied. At least be competitive with the rivals. The speed isn't the worst part...its the horrible charge time for the AWD version. Isn't this the off-road adventure vehicle you want to take on trips? So every time you stop, you want it to take an hour? You realize that the federal tax credit runs out very soon so this thing will be $48k loaded. I could get a fully loaded AWD Ioniq 5 for $48k after tax credits and that thing does 0-60 in 4.7s and has over 250 miles of range and charges 10-80% in 18 minutes peak. They are also comparable in the other major metrics like size, cargo capacity, and interior volume.

This is going to be a sales massacre.
Old 04-15-22 | 08:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
It doesn't have to be 3 seconds. It could be 5s or 4.5s and the consumer would probably be more than satisfied. At least be competitive with the rivals. The speed isn't the worst part...its the horrible charge time for the AWD version. Isn't this the off-road adventure vehicle you want to take on trips? So every time you stop, you want it to take an hour? You realize that the federal tax credit runs out very soon so this thing will be $48k loaded. I could get a fully loaded AWD Ioniq 5 for $48k after tax credits and that thing does 0-60 in 4.7s and has over 250 miles of range and charges 10-80% in 18 minutes peak. They are also comparable in the other major metrics like size, cargo capacity, and interior volume.

This is going to be a sales massacre.
I don’t think most consumers are after extremes in 0-60, nor very rapid charging rates either.
I suspect most consumers want a decent looking reliable motor vehicle, and so far, bZ looks about right.
Will be interesting if sales of Toyota bZ is a relative flop like the Lexus 5LS.

Though, the lack of supply of rare earth metals limits production of PHEV’s and EV’s with long waiting lists such that we may not be able to tell if really selling or not.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra