Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 08:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Toyota will sell more RAV4's in a week than the BZ will sell in a year.
Old 04-15-22, 08:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Toyota will sell more RAV4's in a week than the BZ will sell in a year.
True.
They only sold 27,707 RAV4 Primes last year USA.
And only 27,140 Mustang Mach-E’s.

The problem is lack of supply of rare earth metals?
Old 04-15-22, 08:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The problem is lack of supply of rare earth metals?
You keep making this claim why are you asking me?

A certain T company doesn't have this problem they are production constrained for other reasons.
Old 04-15-22, 10:33 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Only on sale in November 2022.
Nope, it goes on sale this Spring. It straight up won't be sold in any meaningful quantities for 2022.

https://www.motor1.com/news/579529/2...tarting-price/

The Ioniq 5 alone will sell more in three months than the BZ will sell this entire year.
Old 04-15-22, 10:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I don’t think most consumers are after extremes in 0-60, nor very rapid charging rates either.
I suspect most consumers want a decent looking reliable motor vehicle, and so far, bZ looks about right.
Will be interesting if sales of Toyota bZ is a relative flop like the Lexus 5LS.

Though, the lack of supply of rare earth metals limits production of PHEV’s and EV’s with long waiting lists such that we may not be able to tell if really selling or not.
The biggest gripe I hear from people on this and other forums in regards to EV adoption is distance and charging times. As a daily commuter Im ok with the longer charging times, but not if I have to pay $48k
Old 04-15-22, 11:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
Nope, it goes on sale this Spring. It straight up won't be sold in any meaningful quantities for 2022.

https://www.motor1.com/news/579529/2...tarting-price/

The Ioniq 5 alone will sell more in three months than the BZ will sell this entire year.
If bZ on sale in September USA, then pretty much neck and neck with Ioniq 5.
7k bZ's in final quarter is similar to the 6,244 Ioniq 5's in the first quarter this year.
The problem is whether the auto manufacturers can get their hands on lithium ion cells.

The FWD's battery pack is 71.4 kWhr; the AWD is 72.8 kWhr - the difference in battery capacity is said to be negligible.
The FWD's battery pack comes from PPES - a joint venture between Toyota and Panasonic.
While the AWD's battery pack comes from CATL China.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-15-22 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 11:17 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If bZ on sale in September USA, then pretty much neck and neck with Ioniq 5.
7k bZ's in final quarter is similar to the 6,244 Ioniq 5's in the first quarter this year.
The problem is whether the auto manufacturers can get their hands on lithium ion cells.
What are you talking about? The BZ goes on sale in the Spring. Meaning it'll be in retail within a matter of weeks.

Toyota will never catch the Korean twins at this rate.
Old 04-15-22, 11:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
What are you talking about? The BZ goes on sale in the Spring. Meaning it'll be in retail within a matter of weeks.

Toyota will never catch the Korean twins at this rate.
But I'd still much rather be sitting in one - than the other; Ioniq 5 interior too cheap for me.

Old 04-16-22, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

so i guess in this you look OVER the steering wheel at the tiny video game screen?

from this video:

car is certainly quiet except on rough roads when it 'roars'.
Old 04-16-22, 12:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeeesh. That gauge cluster looks dreadful. The rest of the interior is fine though.
Old 04-16-22, 01:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

when do we see the video of someone putting a big basket of cheese fries behind the steering wheel?
Old 04-16-22, 02:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Will be interesting to see how they all compare.
Model 3 and Y is said to have the best electric driveline, but both Model 3 and Y are said to ride too firmly, with poor build quality and sparse interiors.
Ioniq 5 has reasonable build quality, a reasonably good electric driveline, with lovely exterior styling and beautiful ride, but arguably a cheaper looking interior than Model 3 and Y..
Will be interesting to see how bZ compares to the Teslas and Ioniq 5.
Old 04-16-22, 02:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

But I'd still much rather be sitting in one - than the other; Ioniq 5 interior too cheap for me.

i don't care for the side by side ioniq 5 screens on WHITE background. i think they should have made the screens butt up against one another (no gap between). if it didn't work from usability then use wider screens.
Old 04-16-22, 02:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't care for the side by side ioniq 5 screens on WHITE background. i think they should have made the screens butt up against one another (no gap between). if it didn't work from usability then use wider screens.
Another option is for the Ioniq 5 to have a "semi-circular" screen in front of the driver, because some testers say that the steering wheel's upper semi-circular opening is too small for the rectangular 12.5" screen, and obscures the corners of the rectangular screen.

I hope the screens automatically switch to black mode at night - otherwise too much brightness.

Last year, I gave LG a try with both a new microwave oven and a new oLED screen, and now I sort of regret both.
The LG microwave is gorgeous, but we wish we had stuck with Panasonic's superior ergonomics, ease of operation, and one-touch auto cooking ability.
Meanwhile, the LG G1 oLED is certainly beautiful, but the remote control constantly requires imprecise gesture aiming and pointing at the 77" screen, and this is a pain that cannot be switched off - compared to our previous Pioneer, Sony and Samsung plasma and LED backlit LCD screens which were so much more ergonomic.
Furthermore, the LG unlike the Pioneer, Samsungs and Sonies don't have a previous channel button, and won't auto switch off.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-16-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 02:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Another option is for the Ioniq 5 to have a "semi-circular" screen in front of the driver, because some testers say that the steering wheel's upper semi-circular opening is too small for the rectangular 12.5" screen, and obscures the corners of the rectangular screen.

I hope the screens automatically switch to black mode at night - otherwise too much brightness.
Of course they do. Some people just leave it in dark mode as the screens on white are too bright. The user interface is okay. Only bad part is that it doesn't have wireless CarPlay.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra