Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 06:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's not true, in the U.S. the Ioniq 5 battery was always 77.4 kWh. And the batteries always charged at the the same rate regardless of battery size, unlike the BZ.

The oddball of the BZ is that the European AWD version gets the Panasonic battery pack with the faster charge while the U.S. doesn't. No other brand has that issue.
That's what happens when you're late to the party.
All the good apples are gone.

Rare earth metals got their name because of the lack of abundance.
Things will only get worse.

They must quickly come up with a breakthrough in battery chemistry.
Old 04-30-22, 07:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

At least you recognize Toyota mgmt effed up pretty bad with their lack of foresight. Yup, super late to the party so all the good drinks are gone. They should have just used LFP vs what CATL gave them.
Old 04-30-22, 07:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

I was told Toyota was waiting for the right time then would dominate the market with their EVs I assume now is not yet the right time.
Old 04-30-22, 07:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I was told Toyota was waiting for the right time then would dominate the market with their EVs I assume now is not yet the right time.
The only thing they will dominate is the charging stations since it takes forever to charge.
Old 04-30-22, 07:51 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
At least you recognize Toyota mgmt effed up pretty bad with their lack of foresight. Yup, super late to the party so all the good drinks are gone. They should have just used LFP vs what CATL gave them.
If I was Akio Toyoda, I would go all guns ablaze on alternative battery chemistries - so that TMC, despite being too late to the party with rare earth metals - at least leads new alternative battery chemistries, so that the world climbs out of this rare earth metal short supply ridiculous price pit.
I'm not so worried about shortage of chips - I'm more worried about limited supply of rare earth metals.
Old 04-30-22, 08:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You want Toyota to bet the farm on battery chemistries that don't exist yet?
Old 04-30-22, 08:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You want Toyota to bet the farm on battery chemistries that don't exist yet?
I’m sure alternative battery chemistries will come.
Billions of dollars being spent on it.
Not if, but when.
Old 05-01-22, 10:49 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle's video showed it took 62 minutes to charge from 0-80%. Two minutes more than one hour is close enough, but still disappointing. Still slow compared to the competition. Not a roadtrip car for me so I don't care that much.

I am leaning towards the bZ4X XLE FWD for the Toyota and the Solterra Touring AWD for the Subaru.

I probably will just place an order on the Solterra since I made the cut on my local dealership. Can always cancel the order later since it will not arrive until end of September/early October.

The local Toyota dealership where I asked to be put on the waitlist does not have a concrete timeframe. Disappointing as I rather own the Toyota version.

My Model Y order should arrive before the Solterra order so we'll see what happens.
Old 05-01-22, 10:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Kyle's video showed it took 62 minutes to charge from 0-80%. Two minutes more than one hour is close enough, but still disappointing. Still slow compared to the competition. Not a roadtrip car for me so I don't care that much.

I am leaning towards the bZ4X XLE FWD for the Toyota and the Solterra Touring AWD for the Subaru.

I probably will just place an order on the Solterra since I made the cut on my local dealership. Can always cancel the order later since it will not arrive until end of September/early October.

The local Toyota dealership where I asked to be put on the waitlist does not have a concrete timeframe. Disappointing as I rather own the Toyota version.

My Model Y order should arrive before the Solterra order so we'll see what happens.
Other than the slow charging, I have no doubt it's going to be a good car. If you don't plan on road tripping it, then it's fine. One of the reasons we leased our 2020 Ioniq with only a 170 mile range was it's purely used as a commuter car
Old 05-01-22, 11:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicedude

You are right. I was looking at the 90% curve which took a while to get to? I think that CATL battery combo is a questionable decision. Kyle actually really liked the actual vehicle and said it was a pretty nice SUV overall but overpriced at over $50k for the trim he had. The Panasonic battery at 150kw seems like a much better option. I bet the Lexus RZ450 will get the Panasonic pack. I think its strange that they didn't put the Panasonic pack into the AWD version and instead used it on the lesser FWD trim.

Keep in mind that Toyota will run out of tax credits before Subaru so the Solterra may be noticeably cheaper depending on when you get the vehicle. I'm a bit surprised Toyota just didn't use LFP packs for their cars as LFP is actually more reliable with much less degradation than the NMC packs they are using. They could have advertised slightly lesser range but make it known that they could charge 100% every time and guarantee the 90% capacity in 10 years with LFP.

Old 05-03-22, 09:08 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

C&D performed a highway range test on the AWD model and got only 160 miles of range, which tied with the Leaf and Kona Electric. Not exactly where this vehicle is supposed to be at...

Old 05-03-22, 09:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
C&D performed a highway range test on the AWD model and got only 160 miles of range, which tied with the Leaf and Kona Electric. Not exactly where this vehicle is supposed to be at...
Its really slow...hit 0-60 in 6.3s but 0-100 mph took 18.5s. So 60-100mph took 12.2s? They geared it to 60 at the expense of top end. Highway passing will be a chore.

160 miles of real world range at 100% charge isn't great. So Toyota EPA vs real world is about what Tesla advertises and gets. At least Tesla offers way more range to offset highway range loss and charges way faster. 160 miles is what i get when i drive the canyons and mountain passes on my favorite routes early in the morning. Yikes.
Old 05-03-22, 10:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota said they have class leading efficiency what happened?
Old 05-04-22, 07:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yikes. Good thing they were focused on China while developing these because they are woefully behind the competition otherwise.
Old 05-04-22, 08:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yikes. Good thing they were focused on China while developing these because they are woefully behind the competition otherwise.
I think the Chinese may already have more efficient domestic EV's already...

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra