Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 12:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Has it been covered that the AWD bz4X apparently can't fast charge when the temperature is below freezing? That's just sad.

Old 05-09-22, 12:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Has it been covered that the AWD bz4X apparently can't fast charge when the temperature is below freezing? That's just sad.

The US version gets a completely garbage powertrain/battery combo. lol.
Old 05-09-22, 01:09 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have just made this China-Only, what an embarrassment.
Old 05-09-22, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

it's going to take them 2-3 generations to begin to be competitive.
Old 05-09-22, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's going to take them 2-3 generations to begin to be competitive.
Hopefully they run these battery EVs for 14 years MYs like the Tundra….so competitive in 40 years
Old 05-09-22, 03:06 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

As I've said numerous times before, it appears that Toyota is putting all their efforts into the next generation of EV's. Why would they release something so ****-poor such as this?

I honestly think they just wanted to have an entry in the segment. Kinda similar to the Tundra. They don't intend to compete head-on with Ford and GM but they just wanted to have an offering in the full-size truck segment. Same with the EV's.

Toyota isn't dumb. They have much more practical vehicles in their lineup that people actually want and I bet they will be a leader in EV's in the next 2-3 years.
Old 05-09-22, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz

Toyota isn't dumb. They have much more practical vehicles in their lineup that people actually want and I bet they will be a leader in EV's in the next 2-3 years.
A hybrid makes more sense than an EV. The range is superior.

d I bet they will be a leader in EV's in the next 2-3 years.
Battery EV sales will eventually stall (no pun int) At that point, a realistic solution will have to be made.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-09-22 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 03:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

As I've said numerous times before, it appears that Toyota is putting all their efforts into the next generation of EV's. Why would they release something so ****-poor such as this?

I honestly think they just wanted to have an entry in the segment. Kinda similar to the Tundra. They don't intend to compete head-on with Ford and GM but they just wanted to have an offering in the full-size truck segment. Same with the EV's.

I think so too.
TMC is not stupid.
Batteries are in short supply.
So TMC will be primarily focused on breakthrough alternative battery chemistries.
Meantime, the GA-C based Yaris EV & UX300e EV and the e-TNGA based bZ & RZ duo - all with lithium ion batteries - are merely stop gaps.
Old 05-09-22, 04:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A hybrid makes more sense than an EV. The range is superior.

Battery EV sales will eventually stall (no pun int) At that point, a realistic solution will have to be made.
If this was true, everyone would be investing in hybrids instead of EV's. The only true statement here is yes, hybrids do have better range, but EV's are superior in every other way, including more power, more efficiency and fun driving dynamics. The most efficient hybrid is what, 60 mpg? That's actually really good, but it sucks to drive gas efficient Hybrids, and high horsepower EV's are still way more efficient than any Prius or RAV4 hybrid. "Mild" hybrid systems that boost power don't really boost MPG enough to matter or worth investing in long term which is why they are stop gaps

If what you were saying were reality, than I would have bought a hybrid years ago. And automakers like Ford, GM, Hyundai, VW, Mercedes etc wouldn't be investing (or wasting) billions in EV development. The truth is...Toyota sees the writing on the wall. The problem is that they are late to the party. And I'm afraid they are not going to catchup, nor be a leader. The leader is already there for all to see...they are about to sell a million cars worldwide this year

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-09-22 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If this was true, everyone would be investing in hybrids instead of EV's. The only true statement here is yes, hybrids do have better range, but EV's are superior in every other way, including more power, more efficiency and fun driving dynamics. The most efficient hybrid is what, 60 mpg? That's actually really good, but it sucks to drive gas efficient Hybrids, and high horsepower EV's are still way more efficient than any Prius or RAV4 hybrid. "Mild" hybrid systems that boost power don't really boost MPG enough to matter or worth investing in long term which is why they are stop gaps

If what you were saying were reality, than I would have bought a hybrid years ago. And automakers like Ford, GM, Hyundai, VW, Mercedes etc wouldn't be investing (or wasting) billions in EV development. The truth is...Toyota sees the writing on the wall. The problem is that they are late to the party. And I'm afraid they are not going to catchup, nor be a leader. The leader is already there for all to see...they are about to sell a million cars worldwide this year
BMW guy.

If you are not selling combustion engines anymore, someone else will,

​​​​​​​
Old 05-09-22, 05:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude

The 160 miles highway range is not good as a road tripper, but surprised the bZ4X's highway efficiency (86 mpge) was better than the ID.4 RWD (82 mpge).

The ID.4 AWD would probably be even less efficient.

Model Y Long Range with 94 mpge is the best.

Definitely would only consider the FWD bZ4X at this point for better efficiency, faster charging and more range compared to the AWD version.
Why does the MPGe even matter at all? Only range really matters since charging is so cheap....who cares as long as the pack has enough capacity to give 400+ miles.

Im still not interested till it's 600+ and can recharge in under 10 min
Old 05-09-22, 06:21 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Why does the MPGe even matter at all? Only range really matters since charging is so cheap....who cares as long as the pack has enough capacity to give 400+ miles.

I'm with you 100%. I also don't get the MPGe crap. I think it's a sneaky way to show someone how efficient a car is but that doesn't explain anything really.
Old 05-09-22, 06:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm with you 100%. I also don't get the MPGe crap. I think it's a sneaky way to show someone how efficient a car is but that doesn't explain anything really.
Yeah.......I don't care if a car is 250mpg if it has a .5 gallon tank.

Especially so if the tank is extremely difficult or impossible to expand plus expensive and degrades.
Old 05-09-22, 06:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

No that's not true if an EV supports fast charging of at least 150kW. Plus most EV'S are charged at home, so they are "full" every morning. And even if I didn't charge at home, I would be spending 20 to 25 minutes every 9 to 10 days at a fast charger.

Let me ask you this...if you could own a 400 to 600 HP car that gets 80 to 100 mpg equivalent where you only visit superchargers when you do longer trips, wouldn't you want a vehicle like that?
Old 05-09-22, 06:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
We've crossed the fine line from reliable to unusable.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra