Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 06:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
BMW guy.

​​​​​​​We already know where BMW is heading, and it's full EV
Old 05-09-22, 06:41 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them don't work

Tim Levin
9 hours ago The Volkswagen ID.4 charges at a ChargePoint station. Tim Levin/
  • Electric car charging stations have major reliability issues, a new study found.
  • More than 25% of charging stations in California's Bay Area were unusable, according to researchers.
  • Issues ranged from broken screens to poor network connectivity and payment system failures.

https://www.insider.com/why-ohio-is-the-best-place-for-business?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=JobsOhio]Sponsor Content by JobsOhio [/url]https://www.insider.com/why-ohio-is-the-best-place-for-business?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=JobsOhio]4 reasons why this businesswoman running a venture capital firm chose to base her company in Ohio[/url]As the global auto industry spends billions to go green, the number of electric-car charging stations in the US is growing rapidly. But quantity isn't everything — and the quality of many of those stations is lacking.
A study of public electric-vehicle stations in California's Bay Area found that only 72.5% of chargers were operational. California has by far the most electric car owners of any state and has been a leader in electric and hybrid vehicles for years. But its charging infrastructure shows major reliability issues, the study, first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, found.

The survey was conducted by David Rempel, a retired professor of bioengineering at the University of California Berkeley, and Cool the Earth, a nonprofit focused on cutting carbon emissions. Volunteers visited 181 public DC fast-charging stations and tested the 657 individual charging plugs. A connector was labeled functional if it successfully charged an EV for two minutes or if volunteers observed an electric car was already charging.

DC fast-chargers, sometimes called Level 3, are the most powerful type of charger and offer the quickest charge. Tesla Supercharger locations were not included in the survey because they only serve Tesla cars.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+][/url]
https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+]Sponsor Content by Bank of America [/url]https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+]TerraCycle aims to make everything recyclable[/url]
A total of 22.7% of connectors were non-functioning due to problems including network connectivity issues, broken plugs, unresponsive screens, and payment system failures. Around 5% of connectors had cables that were too short to reach an EV's charging port, rendering them unusable.

The findings mirror what Insider has experienced while testing EVs in the Northeast, where charging stations are plentiful but often broken or awaiting service. The study also contributes to a mounting body of research indicating that charging needs to become more convenient in order for mass adoption of battery-powered vehicles to occur.

A survey of 1,290 electric-car drivers by a California government agency found that 44% of owners saw operability or payment issues as barriers to charging.

The situation could improve as electric cars grow in popularity and funding flows into the charging space. The White House announced in February it will provide $5 billion to help states shore up their charging infrastructure along major highways.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...ev-2022-5?op=1

Lol they can't even maintain what they have now. What are they going to do when they start building tons more? Are those going to be broken as well?
Old 05-09-22, 06:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah.......I don't care if a car is 250mpg if it has a .5 gallon tank.

Especially so if the tank is extremely difficult or impossible to expand plus expensive and degrades.
That's such a lame argument when most EV'S can go 230 to 250 miles on a charge, and most people rarely drive that much. If they went 500 miles you guys would just move the bar higher. I've yet to visit a charging station and not been able to charge, so keep bringing on the excuses

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-09-22 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 06:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz

Electric-car charging stations are becoming more common, but there's still one huge problem: Tons of them don't work

Tim Levin
9 hours ago The Volkswagen ID.4 charges at a ChargePoint station. Tim Levin/
  • Electric car charging stations have major reliability issues, a new study found.
  • More than 25% of charging stations in California's Bay Area were unusable, according to researchers.
  • Issues ranged from broken screens to poor network connectivity and payment system failures.

https://www.insider.com/why-ohio-is-the-best-place-for-business?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=JobsOhio]Sponsor Content by JobsOhio [/url]https://www.insider.com/why-ohio-is-the-best-place-for-business?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=JobsOhio]4 reasons why this businesswoman running a venture capital firm chose to base her company in Ohio[/url]As the global auto industry spends billions to go green, the number of electric-car charging stations in the US is growing rapidly. But quantity isn't everything — and the quality of many of those stations is lacking.
A study of public electric-vehicle stations in California's Bay Area found that only 72.5% of chargers were operational. California has by far the most electric car owners of any state and has been a leader in electric and hybrid vehicles for years. But its charging infrastructure shows major reliability issues, the study, first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, found.

The survey was conducted by David Rempel, a retired professor of bioengineering at the University of California Berkeley, and Cool the Earth, a nonprofit focused on cutting carbon emissions. Volunteers visited 181 public DC fast-charging stations and tested the 657 individual charging plugs. A connector was labeled functional if it successfully charged an EV for two minutes or if volunteers observed an electric car was already charging.

DC fast-chargers, sometimes called Level 3, are the most powerful type of charger and offer the quickest charge. Tesla Supercharger locations were not included in the survey because they only serve Tesla cars.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+][/url]
https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+]Sponsor Content by Bank of America [/url]https://www.businessinsider.com/sc/terracycle-aims-to-make-everything-recyclable-2022-3?utm_source=NPU&utm_medium=studios_onsite&utm_campaign=Bank+of+America+]TerraCycle aims to make everything recyclable[/url]
A total of 22.7% of connectors were non-functioning due to problems including network connectivity issues, broken plugs, unresponsive screens, and payment system failures. Around 5% of connectors had cables that were too short to reach an EV's charging port, rendering them unusable.

The findings mirror what Insider has experienced while testing EVs in the Northeast, where charging stations are plentiful but often broken or awaiting service. The study also contributes to a mounting body of research indicating that charging needs to become more convenient in order for mass adoption of battery-powered vehicles to occur.

A survey of 1,290 electric-car drivers by a California government agency found that 44% of owners saw operability or payment issues as barriers to charging.

The situation could improve as electric cars grow in popularity and funding flows into the charging space. The White House announced in February it will provide $5 billion to help states shore up their charging infrastructure along major highways.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...ev-2022-5?op=1

Lol they can't even maintain what they have now. What are they going to do when they start building tons more? Are those going to be broken as well?
You wonder why Teslas are so popular. It's rare for them to be broken. Also, a Tesla will tell you which stalls may not work when you pull into a station. It actually re routes you real time if it thinks one of the stations might be too busy. Software is years ahead of all the OEMs.
Old 05-09-22, 06:55 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You wonder why Teslas are so popular. It's rare for them to be broken. Also, a Tesla will tell you which stalls may not work when you pull into a station. It actually re routes you real time if it thinks one of the stations might be too busy. Software is years ahead of all the OEMs.
I have no doubt a Tesla is a nice car. I just really wish they would offer one without the 20 inch tablet. I mean, they couldn't even give you a few physical buttons for seat controls or climate. Why is that so much to ask?
Old 05-09-22, 07:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I have no doubt a Tesla is a nice car. I just really wish they would offer one without the 20 inch tablet. I mean, they couldn't even give you a few physical buttons for seat controls or climate. Why is that so much to ask?
Its not for everybody. Software is great and nice tech but a traditional Lexus buyer wouldn't find it that interesting. Unfortunately, I hear the BZ4X is nice car outside of the crappy charging and range meaning it drives nice, with high quality, and very comfortable. I was really looking forward to the RZ450 as a potential buy but the range and charging speed are a couple things I don't want to compromise on. With that said, every one of these units will be sold as there are a ton of people that will only buy Toyota.
Old 05-09-22, 07:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No that's not true if an EV supports fast charging of at least 150kW. Plus most EV'S are charged at home, so they are "full" every morning. And even if I didn't charge at home, I would be spending 20 to 25 minutes every 9 to 10 days at a fast charger.

Let me ask you this...if you could own a 400 to 600 HP car that gets 80 to 100 mpg equivalent where you only visit superchargers when you do longer trips, wouldn't you want a vehicle like that?
No since it's limited. I don't care at all past range and cost/time to fill so efficiency becomes irrelevant when costs are extremely low. Plus I already have a 575hp car that can get 31-33 average and reloads in 1:28-3:42 that I have to fill maybe two times a month as I pass any station I feel like.

If we had .10 cent a gallon gas I would not care whatsoever what the mpg of my car is, only range and time to fill. I honestly already don't care at all since even 13-16mpg is still cheap to run. My 22-24 average in my daily is magic already with how cheap it is.....

I couldn't care less about MPGe, I want range, power, and gas like reload speed.
Old 05-09-22, 07:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
With that said, every one of these units will be sold as there are a ton of people that will only buy Toyota.
Even if people buy only Toyota, this car has to be objectively better than other Toyota/Lexus ICE products for Toyota loyalists to even consider it. How many Toyota buyers are going to go out of their way to buy a $50K car just because it's an EV? Certainly didn't help the Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt, and they're a fraction of that price.

They will sell every one they make, because they aren't making many of them to begin with.
Old 05-09-22, 07:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

That's such a lame argument when most EV'S can go 230 to 250 miles on a charge, and most people rarely drive that much. If they went 500 miles you guys would just move the bar higher. I've yet to visit a charging station and not been able to charge, so keep bringing on the excuses
I sometimes drive over half my tank in one day. It's not viable until I can reload it instantly or it gives me the same range I'm used to. I'm not going backwards in lifestyle and revolving my life around the car. It exists to serve me
Old 05-09-22, 07:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
EA chargers are the same, the app will tell you which chargers are available and which ones are not. The advantage of Tesla chargers is they have 10 to 12 chargers while EA will usually have 4 to 5 per location in the Bay area at least. I've never had to wait for a charger, and I've only seen one that was offline for maintenance
Old 05-09-22, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think so too.
TMC is not stupid.
Batteries are in short supply.
So TMC will be primarily focused on breakthrough alternative battery chemistries.
Meantime, the GA-C based Yaris EV & UX300e EV and the e-TNGA based bZ & RZ duo - all with lithium ion batteries - are merely stop gaps.
i think batteries are in short supply for many car makers, including toyota i believe, because they didn't invest in having a supply chain (or manufacturing capability) themselves.

it's nice to say toyota's just phoning it in on this first gen because they have bigger plans, but bigger plans don't come without risks too.

meanwhile, tesla has an enormous supply chain for batteries and they WILL evolve their product line, so by the time toyota's got some 'savior' technology ready, it could well be largely too late because at that point teslas are more than good enough. heck, with their charging network and current capacity they're more than good enough to do the job, i and many others though, don't care for erratic build quality, and the all powerful center screen.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I was really looking forward to the RZ450 as a potential buy but the range and charging speed are a couple things I don't want to compromise on. With that said, every one of these units will be sold as there are a ton of people that will only buy Toyota.
on the bold, i don't think that will be challenging because i don't imagine toyota/lexus will actually be able to deliver a whole lot of volume.
Old 05-09-22, 07:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

gas like reload speed.
Will never happen
Old 05-09-22, 07:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I sometimes drive over half my tank in one day. It's not viable until I can reload it instantly or it gives me the same range I'm used to. I'm not going backwards in lifestyle and revolving my life around the car. It exists to serve me
That's your lifestyle, not everyone drives that much per day. I can go 10 days without changing, but I charge every night anyway. In my view, I have more flexibility than you because I'm fully charged everyday, and haven't had to visit a gas station in months. And when I do occasionally do longer trips, it costs me less in 3 months then one of your fill-up's and costs me 25 minutes at a fast charger...a trade off that's worth it to me
Old 05-09-22, 07:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

EA chargers are the same, the app will tell you which chargers are available and which ones are not. The advantage of Tesla chargers is they have 10 to 12 chargers while EA will usually have 4 to 5 per location in the Bay area at least. I've never had to wait for a charger, and I've only seen one that was offline for maintenance
EA is improving rapidly so I am willing to now go buy other EVs. However, Tesla's software is like combining Abetterrouteplanner integrated with the EA App and having the software route you to less busy Supercharger stations real time. They also charge you the cost of the electricity without taking margin. Most stations i've seen are around $0.24 per kWh. I've seen the EA ones go up to $0.43 per kWh. Quite a difference in charging costs.
Old 05-09-22, 07:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think batteries are in short supply for many car makers, including toyota i believe, because they didn't invest in having a supply chain (or manufacturing capability) themselves.

it's nice to say toyota's just phoning it in on this first gen because they have bigger plans, but bigger plans don't come without risks too.

meanwhile, tesla has an enormous supply chain for batteries and they WILL evolve their product line, so by the time toyota's got some 'savior' technology ready, it could well be largely too late because at that point teslas are more than good enough. heck, with their charging network and current capacity they're more than good enough to do the job, i and many others though, don't care for erratic build quality, and the all powerful center screen.

on the bold, i don't think that will be challenging because i don't imagine toyota/lexus will actually be able to deliver a whole lot of volume.
Tesla has really thought their battery supply chain very thoroughly. They have mining deals and commitments tied up with LG, CATL and Panasonic for years. Toyota just couldn't get enough of the right batteries to make a proper effort for this first launch. People said Toyota's massive size could get any deal done but its simply not true. All the big battery guys wanted the Tesla deals as the insane volume of EVs that Tesla moves is years ahead of the competition. By the time Toyota gets enough battery supply, GM will have the Ultium platform selling a gazillion Silverado EVs along with Fords massive sales of the F150 lightning. I can't believe people actually say that EV aren't wanted when the waiting lists for these things are completely bonkers. Right now, the only thing thats slowing down EV adoption is battery supply.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra