Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 08:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
EA is improving rapidly so I am willing to now go buy other EVs. However, Tesla's software is like combining Abetterrouteplanner integrated with the EA App and having the software route you to less busy Supercharger stations real time. They also charge you the cost of the electricity without taking margin. Most stations i've seen are around $0.24 per kWh. I've seen the EA ones go up to $0.43 per kWh. Quite a difference in charging costs.
If you become a member at $4 a month the rate drops to .31 cents a kWh, reasonable if you do a lot of longer drives that requires super chargers. I don't have to worry for the next 2 years, as it's free until then. I said this before, you'll be surprised at how well the built in Google maps does the job. I also have ABTP built in as well

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-09-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 08:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If you become a member at $4 a month the rate drops to .31 cents a kWh, reasonable if you do a lot of longer drives that requires super chargers. I don't have to worry for the next 2 years, as it's free until then. I said this before, you'll be surprised at how well the built in Google maps does the job. I also have ABTP built in as well
Carplay and Android Auto will also give you ABRP and actually integrates with the car if you pay a monthly subscription fee. The EA app can also be accessed through Carplay which is nice. But again, full integration with the car still isn't there like Tesla and this makes it super easy on new EV owners on how to easily take road trips. Of course Tesla's approach isn't available to other auto makers quite yet as they lack the vertical integration. Polestar 2 is way ahead of many of the other OEMs too. Go take a look at the Ioniq 5 or ID4 software...not great. I'm betting the BZ4X software will also be lacking but at least it has Carplay / Android Auto to compensate.

I hear Tesla is releasing its CCS adapter in the states soon. Your EA chargers may be filled with a ton of Teslas soon
Old 05-09-22, 08:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

That's your lifestyle, not everyone drives that much per day. I can go 10 days without changing, but I charge every night anyway. In my view, I have more flexibility than you because I'm fully charged everyday, and haven't had to visit a gas station in months. And when I do occasionally do longer trips, it costs me less in 3 months then one of your fill-up's and costs me 25 minutes at a fast charger...a trade off that's worth it to me
Yeah and I can drive for 30 years at current gas prices to your starting msrp
Old 05-09-22, 08:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
EA is improving rapidly so I am willing to now go buy other EVs. However, Tesla's software is like combining Abetterrouteplanner integrated with the EA App and having the software route you to less busy Supercharger stations real time. They also charge you the cost of the electricity without taking margin. Most stations i've seen are around $0.24 per kWh. I've seen the EA ones go up to $0.43 per kWh. Quite a difference in charging costs.
It will hit a $1-2 before you know it lol!
Old 05-09-22, 08:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
For electricity? Ridiculous. Tesla charges the electricity at cost to its owners. This is at DC fast charging too. Most Tesla I know have a garage and solar so most of the time, its a big fast $0 to charge the car.
Old 05-09-22, 09:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yeah and I can drive for 30 years at current gas prices to your starting msrp
I guess if you compare with a 10 year car LOL. You have to compare what it competes with, in my case the Polestar 2 competes with cars like 2022 BMW M240i, 2022 IS350 F-Sport and similar. Just comparing it to my 2010 IS350, it only costs $120 a month more to drive... and my IS350 is 12 years old and paid off! Just do the math and it's easy to prove my Polestar is cheaper to own and drive than it's direct ICE competition.

Is a Base Corolla cheaper to drive in the short run... maybe. But I have no desire to drive a Corolla

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-09-22 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 09:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

If electricity actually reached that cost, millions of people wouldn't be able to afford powering their houses. People would have electricity bills hitting $1000 or more a month in the summer. No way that will ever happen. Electricity is an infinite resource which is why it's stayed pretty much the same price as when I was a kid in the 70's
Old 05-10-22, 12:41 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If electricity actually reached that cost, millions of people wouldn't be able to afford powering their houses. People would have electricity bills hitting $1000 or more a month in the summer. No way that will ever happen. Electricity is an infinite resource which is why it's stayed pretty much the same price as when I was a kid in the 70's
At the fast chargers it will. Most will not have the space/money to have solar at home nor the space to part to charge at home......they will have to use quick chargers
Old 05-10-22, 08:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

At the fast chargers it will. Most will not have the space/money to have solar at home nor the space to part to charge at home......they will have to use quick chargers
You are basing that on misinformation. If that was the case, people wouldn't use superchargers because that would make them more expensive than gasoline. At $1 per kWh, that would mean it would cost me $78 to fully charge (think of my car as having a 3 gallon tank), at $2 it would be triple or quadruple the cost of gasoline. Some Super charging networks tried at first charging by the minute, guess what? Nobody visited their chargers, so they switched back to charging by the kWh. Will they raise their prices? Sure, but electricity will always be cheaper than gasoline. Most people only use superchargers when traveling or because they free for 3 years. Some supercharger networks also have monthly memberships of $4 a month for discounted charging, so it will always be cheaper to charge.

As far as Toyota bZ4X... This is a poor excuse of an EV. It helps the case of every EV detractor looking for holes. All the other EV makers are extremely happy with Toyotas offering to a market that's getting more crowded day by day

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-10-22 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 05:17 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Toyota updated their press release. Haha.

Slows down charging when below 32 degrees and might not be possible when below -4 degrees.

Nothing new here. Even Teslas can't charge well in the freezing cold:

Just charge at home.

Old 05-12-22, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude

Slows down charging when below 32 degrees and might not be possible when below -4 degrees.

Ju charge at home.
the Toyota EVs will last longer than Tesla. Won’t be as -powerful. But the information to the owner/driver and the caveats of owning an EV will be messaged better IMO. Both the Toyota and Subaru are overpriced IMO.
Old 05-12-22, 08:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicedude

Just charge at home.
That guy left his Tesla with 5% or less remaining battery in freezing cold. He may have damaged his battery. If he were at 50%, it would heat up the battery using the stators and then the car would accept a decent supercharger rate.
Old 05-12-22, 08:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the Toyota EVs will last longer than Tesla. Won’t be as -powerful. But the information to the owner/driver and the caveats of owning an EV will be messaged better IMO. Both the Toyota and Subaru are overpriced IMO.
Both EVs will last around 16 years. Battery chemistry goes kaput no matter what around that time. During that period, the Tesla willl have more range, more power, and be infinitely more exciting to drive. It is what it is.
Old 05-12-22, 08:21 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Both EVs will last around 16 years. Battery chemistry goes kaput no matter what around that time. During that period, the Tesla willl have more range, more power, and be infinitely more exciting to drive. It is what it is.
Well some people like myself don't want a sporty drive. We like total smoothness and don't wanna feel every crack in the road.
Old 05-12-22, 08:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
no way. The Toyota will last longer.. 2X. So much more out there than Tesla. Have you seen how bad reliablity is for Tesla? 2nd last in CR

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Well some people like myself don't want a sporty drive. We like total smoothness and don't wanna feel every crack in the road.
That is very true. EVs are very expensive as well. I can’t believe the price for the new Toyota electric vehicle, far too expensive for 214 hp

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-12-22 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra