Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 08:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
no way. The Toyota will last longer.. 2X. So much more out there than Tesla. Have you seen how bad reliablity is for Tesla? 2nd last in CRThat is very true. EVs are very expensive as well. I can’t believe the price for the new Toyota electric vehicle, far too expensive for 214 hp
Little things go wrong but both cars will need a complete battery replacement at 16 years. It is what it is. Most of the original Model S are still in the road.
Old 05-12-22, 10:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That guy left his Tesla with 5% or less remaining battery in freezing cold. He may have damaged his battery. If he were at 50%, it would heat up the battery using the stators and then the car would accept a decent supercharger rate.
Moron move IMO, like cold starting an engine and bouncing it off limiter.....
Old 05-12-22, 10:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
no way. The Toyota will last longer.. 2X. So much more out there than Tesla. Have you seen how bad reliablity is for Tesla? 2nd last in CR

That is very true. EVs are very expensive as well. I can’t believe the price for the new Toyota electric vehicle, far too expensive for 214 hp
He is right, any battery is on a hard timer of sorts. It's why I want that used EVs are not going to be the same game as a used normal car
Old 05-16-22, 06:33 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another slow DC fast charging story.

Toyota refuses to let you charge optimally beyond 80%.

Charging at home is quicker from 90% to full.

Definitely not a road trip friendly car compared to the competition.

Good thing I will just charge at home or at work.

I guess I will get both the Model Y and bZ4X/Solterra and figure out which to keep long term.
Old 05-17-22, 08:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely sounds like Toyota's strategy for ensuring battery longevity is to make sure it's charged as gently as possible. No thanks.
Old 05-17-22, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Definitely sounds like Toyota's strategy for ensuring battery longevity is to make sure it's charged as gently as possible. No thanks.
They struck a terrible compromise between longevity and usability. Teslas have very fast charging but they've optimized the algorithm to minimize degradation during charging. Teslas charge very fast at the lower SoCs and really taper off big time at higher SoCs however, older Teslas only seem to have about 10% degradation after many years of DC fast charging over 100k miles. Doesn't make sense trying to save battery degradation to that level...all Li-ion batteries go kaput after about 15 years. At least make those 15 years highly useable.
Old 05-17-22, 12:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
They struck a terrible compromise between longevity and usability. Teslas have very fast charging but they've optimized the algorithm to minimize degradation during charging. Teslas charge very fast at the lower SoCs and really taper off big time at higher SoCs however, older Teslas only seem to have about 10% degradation after many years of DC fast charging over 100k miles. Doesn't make sense trying to save battery degradation to that level...all Li-ion batteries go kaput after about 15 years. At least make those 15 years highly useable.
They are stuck in the wrong mentality, they need to start thinking throw away device instead of mechanical equipment like they tend to. Leaves too much on the table
Old 05-17-22, 12:18 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They are stuck in the wrong mentality, they need to start thinking throw away device instead of mechanical equipment like they tend to. Leaves too much on the table
Nothing says mechanical equipment like cheap batteries that can't be charged below 32 F.

Not everything mediocre is for the sake of reliability.
Old 05-17-22, 12:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Also, electric motors will last a million miles. Batteries will become cheaper so eventually a used market will be able to make used cars viable with a new pack. Its going to be a different world and seems like Toyota is stuck in the past like you said.
Old 05-17-22, 12:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Also, electric motors will last a million miles. Batteries will become cheaper so eventually a used market will be able to make used cars viable with a new pack. Its going to be a different world and seems like Toyota is stuck in the past like you said.
In theory yes, motors don't last forever mostly due to the fault of the bearings. The design tesla uses is very good/very expensive and high-end/overbuilt but I doubt this level of quality is going to carry across all brands, they had to do it that way to solidify their cars as worth buying. It's just like the original LS400 in terms of overkill, going forward I doubt it will hold.
Old 05-18-22, 05:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It is essentially their first product and they are treading lightly.

I wonder what will Panasonic batteries do, as all of their warnings are about CATL, and according to TMC, Panasonic batteries that are in FWD models in US, and all of the models in Europe and Japan, will charge at normal speeds up to 80%, nobody tested it yet.
Old 05-18-22, 06:27 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Looks like some bZ4Xs are being delivered in California now.

Would like to get my hands on the FWD version over the AWD version/Solterra.
Old 05-18-22, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lease only in Japan

lease, insurance. Tax, maintenance, all in one fee.
Old 06-06-22, 05:57 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Local dealership had a bZ4X event and since I was on the waiting list, I was invited.

Had a chance to test drive it and I was impressed enough to really consider it as a daily commuter.

MSRP only no ADM.

I am lucky should be getting it before Toyota's $7,500 tax credits expire.

Now just need it to be the lowest FWD XLE trim.

Not sure what to do with my Solterra order coming in late September.
Old 06-06-22, 06:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nicedude

Local dealership had a bZ4X event and since I was on the waiting list, I was invited.

Had a chance to test drive it and I was impressed enough to really consider it as a daily commuter.

MSRP only no ADM.

I am lucky should be getting it before Toyota's $7,500 tax credits expire.

Now just need it to be the lowest FWD XLE trim.

Not sure what to do with my Solterra order coming in late September.
There is one in my neighborhood in red. It looks decent in person...no worse than a Rav4. Congrats...i think the FWD version is the way to go with that one. With the tax credit, its a good deal.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra