Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21, 01:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s a Toyota so it won’t have any of the battery fire issues that plague GM and Hyundai
Yeah, about that...

1.9 Million Toyota RAV4 SUVs Investigated for Battery Fire Risk

Old 10-29-21, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nope. Not enough, hybrid RAV4 or Highlander makes a better alternative.
It's fine that YOU find the RAV4 and Highlander better alternatives. But you can't speak in absolutes.
Old 10-29-21, 01:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Nope. Not enough, hybrid RAV4 or Highlander makes a better alternative to the bZ4X. It’s the same performance or close to it or speed.

I would definitely consider the RAV 4 or Highlander Hybrid, but at that price I can buy something much bigger with more power that will still cost me less to drive

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-29-21 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 01:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's fine that YOU find the RAV4 and Highlander better alternatives. But you can't speak in absolutes.
I think its so underwhelming that people will buy the Rav 4 prime instead. Its like they wanted to sabotage the sales...
Old 10-29-21, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well we’re just given opinions. It’s not an absolute, youre right. I just don’t think the range is enough to be widespread model to sell in all regions of North America to the masses, thus the hybrid advantages . In Cali, for sure it will do well. Glad to see Toyota made a good effort for the cold weather range etc. But Come up to Toronto Maple Leaf country, and you’ll see for yourself in cold weather how range gets thrown to the Sharks

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-29-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 01:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think its so underwhelming that people will buy the Rav 4 prime instead. Its like they wanted to sabotage the sales...
I just find all the negativity funny, when the car hasn't even been released. I'll reserve judgement until real world first drives and I see it on the road

well we’re just given opinions. It’s not an absolute, youre right. I just don’t think the range is enough to be widespread model to sell in all regions of North America to the masses, thus the hybrid advantages . In Cali, for sure it will do well. Glad to see Toyota made a good effort for the cold weather range etc. But Come up to Toronto Maple Leaf country, and you’ll see for yourself in cold weather how range gets thrown to the Sharks
See it makes a big difference when you use 'I' or give a more detailed response rather than one that is left to interpretation. Thanks for stating your stance more clearly. It's cold enough with a 3 game slide
Old 10-29-21, 02:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Unfortunately, the specs are underwhelming. This is one of if not the slowest dedicated platform EV out there, and the range figures for WLTP are nothing to write home about. This comes across as just another vehicle made solely for the Toyota faithful who don't cross-shop with other brands.
It competes favorably with VW ID4, and not bad against KIA and Hyundai (for similar base options).
Toyota will have faster versions probably later, they introduced bigger motors previously as well.

It also has really good range for 71kwh battery. It is actually really good.

But it is not a vehicle for someone who already has EV. For instance 11kwh AC chargers launches October 22, until then only option is 6.8kwh AC charging.
Toyota will also do what VW did and protect their Lexus sales by limiting power in this model, at least until they actually push something faster out.
Or you have no frunk, so you will store your 3 sets of cables in trunk, under all the luggage.

Also they announced it will over the air update multimedia system and automated braking system, but said nothing about rest of the car.

But yes, rest of the stuff, if you don't care about car EV details, is really good:
- actual steer by wire yoke vs that joke in Model S
- roof solar panel
- lots of space
- ****load of buttons
- cool heating

It is for people who are replacing their Rav4 with it and getting larger vehicles, lots of cool features, lowers their costs, familiar usage, reliable.

It is not for people who already have Tesla.
Old 10-29-21, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I think it'll do well. This will appeal well to people in vehicles like the RAV4, Venza, CX-3, Escape, CR-V, etc. who would like to go electric. I am interested to see how they price it and what the range ends up being. As long as it's priced to compete in that group, I think they'll sell them with ease.
Old 10-29-21, 02:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spwolf
It competes favorably with VW ID4, and not bad against KIA and Hyundai (for similar base options).
Toyota will have faster versions probably later, they introduced bigger motors previously as well.

It also has really good range for 71kwh battery. It is actually really good.

But it is not a vehicle for someone who already has EV. For instance 11kwh AC chargers launches October 22, until then only option is 6.8kwh AC charging.
Toyota will also do what VW did and protect their Lexus sales by limiting power in this model, at least until they actually push something faster out.
Or you have no frunk, so you will store your 3 sets of cables in trunk, under all the luggage.

Also they announced it will over the air update multimedia system and automated braking system, but said nothing about rest of the car.

But yes, rest of the stuff, if you don't care about car EV details, is really good:
- roof solar panel
- lots of space
- ****load of buttons
- cool heating

It is for people who are replacing their Rav4 with it and getting larger vehicles, lots of cool features, lowers their costs, familiar usage, reliable.

It is not for people who already have Tesla.
Man someone give me a Like button
Old 10-29-21, 02:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think it'll do well. This will appeal well to people in vehicles like the RAV4, Venza, CX-3, Escape, CR-V, etc. who would like to go electric. I am interested to see how they price it and what the range ends up being. As long as it's priced to compete in that group, I think they'll sell them with ease.
pricing will tell everything... again, better effort than VW which is interesting (poor VW) with big but... not designed by people who drive EVs already.
This vehicle is designed by people who drive hybrids today and wanted to switch to EV and thought to fix all the inconveniences.

It is not made to be better than Model Y supercar.
Old 10-29-21, 08:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
We don't know how well it competes in range because so far we only have the WLTP range, which is generally much more generous than the EPA range. 280 miles on the WLTP cycle is not much. For reference, a base ID4 gets over 310 miles on the WLTP Cycle. That number shrank to 260 miles in EPA testing.

Power-wise, every single EV competitor offers a bare minimum of around 300 HP in their AWD versions. This is not considered "fast" like a Tesla performance. Unless Toyota somehow prices their EV substantially cheaper than the competitors, there is absolutely no reason for their car to have less power than any one of its rivals.

- roof solar panel
- lots of space
- ****load of buttons
- cool heating
lol, there isn't a single item on this list that will draw people away from any one of its competitors, many of whom have these same features. And since when has having a yoke in any street car, no matter how ugly, ever been a "positive"? The Model S's ugly yoke doesn't change the fact that it's still the best EV on the market.

Exactly, it is as I said before- a vehicle for Toyota loyalists who do zero cross-shopping with other brands and have no basis of comparison. But that's not a healthy way to grow a brand in a world that will soon become EV-only, something we know Toyota is very much against.

And there is absolutely no guarantee that this will be reliable. It's brand new technology and Toyota's reliability record stems from doing what's tried and true. This is ground zero for them. And don't forget- this isn't just Toyota engineering, Subaru was involved as well. Reliability is a shot in the dark.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-29-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 08:59 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

On another forum, someone reiterated that the specs released so far has been for the Japan model only. As they noted, Toyota chose to do a 150kW front motor for FWD, while only doing twin 80 kW motors for the AWD version.

What's stopping them from leaving the 150 kW motor in front and adding the 80 kW rear motors for a North American/EU spec AWD model? That would bring the total power rating to 230 kW (308 bhp), which would be in line with the other AWD EVs like the ID.4 and more importantly, the upcoming Nissan Ariya, which Toyota probably sees as its closest contender.

Last edited by kolokmee; 10-29-21 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 09:02 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee
On another forum, someone reiterated that the specs released so far has been for the Japan model only. As they noted, Toyota chose to do a 150kW front motor for FWD, while only doing twin 80 kW motors for the AWD version.

What's stopping them from leaving the 150 kW motor in front and adding the 80 kW rear motors for a North American/EU spec AWD model. That would bring the total power rating to 230 kW (308 bhp), which would be in line with all the other AWD EVs like the ID.4 and more importantly, the upcoming Nissan Ariya, which Toyota probably sees as its closest contender for this model.
hmm this makes sense. Especially since citizens in Japan seem to be more conservative when it comes to the speed of their cars.

308 bhp would be perfect and certainly take customers from Tesla.
Old 10-29-21, 09:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kolokmee

What's stopping them from leaving the 150 kW motor in front and adding the 80 kW rear motors for a North American/EU spec AWD model? That would bring the total power rating to 230 kW (308 bhp), which would be in line with the other AWD EVs like the ID.4 and more importantly, the upcoming Nissan Ariya, which Toyota probably sees as its closest contender.
That would be a sensible explanation if this was an ICE vehicle, but EV's have no penalties, taxes, or fines for having more power. Which is why even the Euro and Chinese brands are okay with 300 HP+ or even more powerful motors. No other brand (to my knowledge) sells an AWD EV with less than around 300HP.

Basically, there's no reason why selling this vehicle in Japan or any other country would necessitate limiting the power.
Old 10-29-21, 09:15 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
We don't know how well it competes in range because so far we only have the WLTP range, which is generally much more generous than the EPA range. 280 miles on the WLTP cycle is not much. For reference, a base ID4 gets over 310 miles on the WLTP Cycle. That number shrank to 260 miles in EPA testing.

Power-wise, every single EV competitor offers a bare minimum of around 300 HP in their AWD versions. This is not considered "fast" like a Tesla performance. Unless Toyota somehow prices their EV substantially cheaper than the competitors, there is absolutely no reason for their car to have less power than any one of its rivals.

lol, there isn't a single item on this list that will draw people away from any one of its competitors, many of whom have these same features. And since when has having a yoke in any street car, no matter how ugly, ever been a "positive"? The Model S's ugly yoke doesn't change the fact that it's still the best EV on the market.

Exactly, it is as I said before- a vehicle for Toyota loyalists who do zero cross-shopping with other brands and have no basis of comparison. But that's not a healthy way to grow a brand in a world that will soon become EV-only, something we know Toyota is very much against.

And there is absolutely no guarantee that this will be reliable. It's brand new technology and Toyota's reliability record stems from doing what's tried and true. This is ground zero for them. And don't forget- this isn't just Toyota engineering, Subaru was involved as well. Reliability is a shot in the dark.
The world is not becoming EV only it’s going to take time. Also going by Toyota’s reliability track record in Hybrids chances of this being very reliable is very high & almost given. They rarely launch anything which is half cooked. Reliability will be a factor which will work in Toyotas favor that’s just how the market perceives them.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra