Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd

they also own a stake in Suzuki if I am not mistaken. Toyota / Suzuki are selling each other’s cars in some markets
Mazda too. RAV4 prime is rebadged a Suzuki too.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-30-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-30-21, 02:39 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The bZ4X is literally half-cooked. Toyota cooked one half, Subaru cooked the other. It is presumptuous to declare that this will be "reliable" based on a totally different technology that Toyota had to refine for decades to be as reliable as it is today. Hybrids are not EV's- EV's require more complex software for thermal management, which is what puts Tesla ahead of the pack when it comes to range, efficiency, and power. Toyota has never been known for strong software. Even outside of software, it was only recently that they shifted from nickel metal hydride batteries to lithium ion batteries.

And if reliability was such a major factor in consumer perception when it came to buying an EV, Tesla wouldn't dominate EV sales like it does.
Tesla's inverters (power units or whatever) still fail. Toyota's double-sided cooling inverter IGBTs (ls600h+, not the prius3) practically never ever fail. The power numbers going through the motors on their higher power hybrids are around 250kw (at least on mine - 125kw "regen" from one motor, a bit more "traction" into the other due to battery assist) - a consequence of how their eCVT works is that they need to have some pretty powerful EV hardware - there are many good reasons why they're often used for DIY EV projects, besides the obvious high availability. Their Ni-MH battery packs rarely if ever fail, despite not really having any sort of cell-level BMS. They've had li-ion hybrid packs in the EU-spec prius prime and the 3rd gen plugin for quite some time now. Fun fact - everything that really matters is made in-house.

The "complex software" part is way too funny to comment on.

As others have mentioned - Toyota doesn't really do high performance, REALLY doesn't do high power (excluding the gr yaris), and people still buy corollas, camries, rav4s, highlanders, land cruisers, RX/ES/UX/NX, etc... I wonder why.

Reliability-wise, I have this weird feeling that the ongoing (and worsening) parts shortage is going to really emphasize the reliability factor of cars - not fun having your in-warranty vehicle sitting at the lot, waiting for parts weeks (currently - if lucky) at a time.
Old 10-30-21, 02:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Tesla's inverters (power units or whatever) still fail. Toyota's double-sided cooling inverter IGBTs (ls600h+, not the prius3) practically never ever fail. The power numbers going through the motors on their higher power hybrids are around 250kw (at least on mine - 125kw "regen" from one motor, a bit more "traction" into the other due to battery assist) - a consequence of how their eCVT works is that they need to have some pretty powerful EV hardware - there are many good reasons why they're often used for DIY EV projects, besides the obvious high availability. Their Ni-MH battery packs rarely if ever fail, despite not really having any sort of cell-level BMS. They've had li-ion hybrid packs in the EU-spec prius prime and the 3rd gen plugin for quite some time now. Fun fact - everything that really matters is made in-house.

As others have mentioned - Toyota doesn't really do high performance, REALLY doesn't do high power (excluding the gr yaris), and people still buy corollas, camries, rav4s, highlanders, land cruisers, RX/ES/UX/NX, etc... I wonder why.

Reliability-wise, I have this weird feeling that the ongoing (and worsening) parts shortage is going to really emphasize the reliability factor of cars - not fun having your in-warranty vehicle sitting at the lot, waiting for parts weeks (currently - if lucky) at a time.
Tesla power inverter motor failures are still very rare. Yes it happens but it usually happens at the beginning of a car's life cycle as its a factory defect. The motors that have been running for awhile seem to hold up very well...lots of high mileage Teslas on the forums. I can't say the same thing for trim or other things like window motors...those things Tesla does not do as well
Old 10-30-21, 04:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
By your logic then none of these do either. I'm not buying what you're selling

Mini SE - 114 mile range
Nissan Leaf - 149
BMW i3 - 153
Ioniq Electric - 170
Taycan - 200
e-tron sportback - 218
e-tron - 222
Nissan Leaf Plus - 226
Mache E - 230
Polestar 2 - 233
e-tron GT - 238
Niro EV - 239
Bolt EUV - 247
Kona Electric - 258
Bolt EV - 259
ID.4 - 260
Model 3 SR - 263
bZ4X - 285
you’re mixing EPA figures with WLTP. bZ4X will be lower on EPA.
Old 10-30-21, 04:56 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Do you understand that all of the competitors I mentioned have similar speed or slower vehicles that make most of their EV sales?
Citation needed. More importantly, most people buy CUV's with AWD, and every AWD competitor sold comes with around 300HP at minimum. Nobody is going to buy an AWD bZ4X when it's significantly slower than all its competitors unless it's significantly cheaper. Having a Toyota badge alone isn't sufficient to sway people to buy this over any one of its superior competitors.

I am not sure if you dont know what other companies are doing, or are you focusing only on top end versions.
A "top end version" would be Mustang Mach E GT or EV6 GT- cars that have around 500 HP. Let's have Toyota try to get near 300 HP first like every other AWD competitor first before even dreaming of it being able to compete at the top end.
Old 10-30-21, 05:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

What's really funny is thinking the thermal management system in a slug like the Prius is any way comparable to the ones found in a Tesla. And if Toyota can manage the thermals, where is the 300 HP motor setup in bZ4X?

lol, in what universe is 300 HP "high performance"? Half the cars on the list you mention make around that much power. Try selling someone an RX with <200 HP and see if they'll buy it.

This isn't about performance, this is about matching its competitors on the bare basics.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-30-21 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-21, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla's inverters (power units or whatever) still fail. - .
I think car and driver had this exact problem.
Old 10-30-21, 06:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Predictable comments i see...

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Need to see non glamour shots of the exterior but it looks good, as you say sharp. I really dislike the area between the steering column and cluster there is no reason for all that clutter.
agreed.

Maybe Toyota is using the same motors as they have in their hybrids would not surprise me. Range is fine anything over 250 miles is good enough for most people. Where this car will sink or swim is in the infotainment and general tech.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Toyota did the yoke right, doesn't require you crossing arms to do a uturn.
agreed although not a yoke fan except for race cars.

priced in high 30s (doubt it) would be a winner imo.
I'd say no chance of that.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
150 degrees to turn the car as sharp as it will go? That sounds dangerous.
why dangerous? Sounds better than tesla's wrap your arms in knots with the yoke deal.
Old 10-30-21, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Agreed.

l.
They are not using the same motors from the hybrids. The motors are all new. Mirai uses the Lexus RX450h motor, but battery models are all new motors
Old 10-31-21, 09:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Citation needed.
it seems like you are making a lot of claims without researching anything about them. All the base EV models from VW, Skoda, Nissan, Renault, KIA, Hyundai are similar in acceleration to BZ4X, mostly little bit slower, Koreans are little bit faster. Those are the models that sell the best.

It is quite possible that BZ4X will get faster option, just like ID4 got, 6 months later.
Old 10-31-21, 12:26 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
it seems like you are making a lot of claims without researching anything about them.
The bZ4X specs are all online for everyone to see. No need for me to make anything up. On your end though...

All the base EV models from VW, Skoda, Nissan, Renault, KIA, Hyundai are similar in acceleration to BZ4X, mostly little bit slower, Koreans are little bit faster. Those are the models that sell the best.
That's not the part I'm asking for a citation for (it was your claim of how these "slower vehicles that make most of their EV sales"- give me the actual numbers. While you're at it, give me your source for what makes the bZ4X range and efficiency "class-leading."), but I'll dive into it anyway. Here are the base model competitors and their manufacturer-claimed 0-60's:

bZ4X: 8.4s
ID.4: 8.5s (real world time: 7.4-7.6s)
Mach E: 5.8s
Ioniq 5: 7.5s
EV6: Same as above

So not counting the Model Y since no pure RWD version is available (emphasizing how silly it is to even compare these midsize CUV's that aren't AWD lol), the bZ4X manages to only match the ID4, which runs over a second faster than its claimed time in real world testing. What is there to celebrate here?

It is quite possible that BZ4X will get faster option, just like ID4 got, 6 months later.
Except that ID4's 300HP AWD version was announced from the very beginning at its global launch back in October of last year (timestamp 9:09).

If Toyota had such a model, they would have already announced it.

Last edited by Motorola; 10-31-21 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 01:52 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

One thing I noticed is that the Toyota has a heat pump which will allow significant heating of the cabin in cold weather. This is something that a lot of the other EV's do not have/offer. My understanding is that it is also more efficient for cooling, as that it will not use up power as quickly as those vehicles that don't have this. If this is true, it should help with maintaining the mileage advertised no matter what outside temperature is. As an example, I was watching a review of another electric vehicle that advertised 310 miles per charge, but with A/C running in 90+ temperatures, actual mileage was just over 200 miles per charge. Living where I would run the A/C most of the year that is a very big discepancy.
Old 10-31-21, 02:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jer
One thing I noticed is that the Toyota has a heat pump which will allow significant heating of the cabin in cold weather. This is something that a lot of the other EV's do not have/offer. My understanding is that it is also more efficient for cooling, as that it will not use up power as quickly as those vehicles that don't have this. If this is true, it should help with maintaining the mileage advertised no matter what outside temperature is. As an example, I was watching a review of another electric vehicle that advertised 310 miles per charge, but with A/C running in 90+ temperatures, actual mileage was just over 200 miles per charge. Living where I would run the A/C most of the year that is a very big discepancy.
Model Y, the Korean twins, and ID4 all have heat pumps- problem is that the heat pump isn't available for U.S.-spec ID4's. I think it's in the Q4 E-tron though.

Here's hoping Toyota won't be boneheaded enough to remove the heat pump for U.S. markets like VW.
Old 10-31-21, 02:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
My wife's Ioniq EV uses a heat pump, so heating/cooling uses about 4 to 6 percent of the available power
Old 10-31-21, 03:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Model Y, the Korean twins, and ID4 all have heat pumps- problem is that the heat pump isn't available for U.S.-spec ID4's. I think it's in the Q4 E-tron though.

Here's hoping Toyota won't be boneheaded enough to remove the heat pump for U.S. markets like VW.
Problem with ID4 heat pump is that it is not effective enough, they messed something up with design.
Even Teslas heat-pump is nothing eartshattering. So Toyota's claims about efficiency are interesting there.

They already mentioned heat pump and floor heater in the US press release.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra