Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

The toyota's specs are pretty underwhelming. Hopefully they're underplaying the specs for now and they'll be better when it's launched. Has toyota said when they expect this thing to launch in u.s.a.?
Old 10-31-21, 07:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
They already mentioned heat pump and floor heater in the US press release.
Many of the blog sites misquoted Toyota. Toyota started the new EV will have radiant front foot heating. Not floor heating as it’s sounds like heated floors according to some of the sites.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The toyota's specs are pretty underwhelming. Hopefully they're underplaying the specs for now and they'll be better when it's launched. Has toyota said when they expect this thing to launch in u.s.a.?
The specs are just average. They match up to basically a RAV4 2.5 gas model. Might we see a $29K US starting price? I think so. The overall package looks to be very well put together. I just can’t see this Toyota EV working in every single corner of North America. If I can buy a RAV4 or RAV4 hybrid for pretty much the same price, and if I can get the same or better performance with 2X the range, then what’s the point of the bZ4X. It makes 201hp which is less than the RAV4 2.5. (All excluding the government incentives)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-31-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 07:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

No way this will be priced anywhere near a RAV4. It'll be around $40K to start just like the ID4 and Mach E. And we don't have their prices yet, but I also expect Toyota to price themselves above the Korean twins like every other car in their lineup. Toyota isn't going to devalue their own brand by making it cheaper than the immediate competition even if they have a less competitive vehicle.
Old 10-31-21, 09:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Many of the blog sites misquoted Toyota. Toyota started the new EV will have radiant front foot heating. Not floor heating as it’s sounds like heated floors according to some of the sites.

The specs are just average. They match up to basically a RAV4 2.5 gas model. Might we see a $29K US starting price? I think so. The overall package looks to be very well put together. I just can’t see this Toyota EV working in every single corner of North America. If I can buy a RAV4 or RAV4 hybrid for pretty much the same price, and if I can get the same or better performance with 2X the range, then what’s the point of the bZ4X. It makes 201hp which is less than the RAV4 2.5. (All excluding the government incentives)
Something to point out. An EV making 200 hp and an ICE or hybrid making 200 are not the same. An electric motor can make a ton of torque instantly and more efficient. Unless Toyota restricts the amount of power going to the wheels, the EV is always going to perform better. If I put my wife's Ioniq which only has 138 hp in sports mode, it can easily beat any 200 hp 4 cylinder, at the cost of range of course. If Toyota is keeping the hp low, it may be because they are using a smaller battery pack. As far as the range, it's totally adequate for someone who has the ability to plug in at home or work, or if you daily drive is less than 120 miles each way and you have access to a level 2 charger at home
Old 11-02-21, 08:34 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
What's really funny is thinking the thermal management system in a slug like the Prius is any way comparable to the ones found in a Tesla. And if Toyota can manage the thermals, where is the 300 HP motor setup in bZ4X?
The puny 1.8kw Ni-MH in the Toyota hybrids can and does see 30KW both ways with only cabin air cooling. Teslas heavily exploit the massive battery advantage - each cell sees relatively little load. I don't see anything special about either. And yes, Toyota can manage the thermals, so can everybody. Never heard of an RX/GS/LS/LC hybrid overheating under normal conditions (normal = the water pump has not failed, track days are absolutely normal), and the motors (and inverters) in those cars are anything but unloaded. As I mentioned above, over 250kw combined flowing through the inverter.

lol, in what universe is 300 HP "high performance"? Half the cars on the list you mention make around that much power. Try selling someone an RX with <200 HP and see if they'll buy it.

This isn't about performance, this is about matching its competitors on the bare basics.
Whatever bare basics are. People over here buy SUVs from MB/BMW/VAG with around (or less than) 200bhp and they're more than adequate on the road. The new Corolla 2.0 touring hybrid over here comes with less than 200BHP and is very well received. Rural and highway speeds here are way higher than in the US. 130+ KPH sustained, rural speeds depend on the amount of speed cameras.

I think your perception on what people are looking for and buying is slightly off.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Something to point out. An EV making 200 hp and an ICE or hybrid making 200 are not the same. An electric motor can make a ton of torque instantly and more efficient. Unless Toyota restricts the amount of power going to the wheels, the EV is always going to perform better. If I put my wife's Ioniq which only has 138 hp in sports mode, it can easily beat any 200 hp 4 cylinder, at the cost of range of course. If Toyota is keeping the hp low, it may be because they are using a smaller battery pack. As far as the range, it's totally adequate for someone who has the ability to plug in at home or work, or if you daily drive is less than 120 miles each way and you have access to a level 2 charger at home
Constant 200BHP definitely is faster than peaky (more or less) 200BHP + the transmission shifting. Certainly doesn't feel as fast without all the jerking and noise and drama, though...
Old 11-02-21, 10:47 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decent effort by Toyota when compared to the competition. Interested to see pricing in the future.

Is there an Ignore button so I don't have to waste time reading a certain user's posts?
Old 11-02-21, 12:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
The puny 1.8kw Ni-MH in the Toyota hybrids can and does see 30KW both ways with only cabin air cooling. Teslas heavily exploit the massive battery advantage - each cell sees relatively little load. I don't see anything special about either. And yes, Toyota can manage the thermals, so can everybody. Never heard of an RX/GS/LS/LC hybrid overheating under normal conditions (normal = the water pump has not failed, track days are absolutely normal), and the motors (and inverters) in those cars are anything but unloaded. As I mentioned above, over 250kw combined flowing through the inverter.

Whatever bare basics are. People over here buy SUVs from MB/BMW/VAG with around (or less than) 200bhp and they're more than adequate on the road. The new Corolla 2.0 touring hybrid over here comes with less than 200BHP and is very well received. Rural and highway speeds here are way higher than in the US. 130+ KPH sustained, rural speeds depend on the amount of speed cameras.

I think your perception on what people are looking for and buying is slightly off.

Constant 200BHP definitely is faster than peaky (more or less) 200BHP + the transmission shifting. Certainly doesn't feel as fast without all the jerking and noise and drama, though...
I agree, but the 4 cylinder with 200 BHP has to play catch up off the line. Eventually it will pass our Ioniq, but my point was due to the amount of torque generated and the instantness of power delivery you don't need much power for an EV used for basic commutes
Old 11-02-21, 02:17 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

lol, this is a totally false equivalency. The tiny nickel metal hydride batteries in a Toyota hybrid running tiny motors part-time are in no way comparable to the more advanced lithium ion batteries in a Tesla running full-time all functions and motors at least 3-4 times as powerful. Compare like and like and the results speak for themselves- range and power of the bZ4X lags far behind an equivalent Model Y, whose battery is pretty much the same size as the Toyota's (75 vs 71.4 kWH).

Even Toyota's electronic control units are nothing to Tesla's more refined system.

Tesla teardown finds electronics 6 years ahead of Toyota and VW

Another false equivalency. A Corolla hybrid weighs less than 3000 pounds. A bZ4X? 4500 pounds. A Lexus RX? Also 4500 pounds. 300 horsepower would turn a Corolla into a hot hatch, but in vehicles that weigh 50% more, it's merely adequate.

The one advantage a bZ4X would have is the instantaneous torque due to being an EV, but horsepower is horsepower, and 200 HP is very noticeable in a 4500 pound vehicle in anywhere that isn't a traffic-heavy city.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-02-21 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The puny 1.8kw Ni-MH in the Toyota hybrids can and does see 30KW both ways with only cabin air cooling. Teslas heavily exploit the massive battery advantage - each cell sees relatively little load. I don't see anything special about either. And yes, Toyota can manage the thermals, so can everybody. Never heard of an RX/GS/LS/LC hybrid overheating under normal conditions (normal = the water pump has not failed, track days are absolutely normal), and the motors (and inverters) in those cars are anything but unloaded. As I mentioned above, over 250kw combined flowing through the inverter. The performance is the same as the RAV4 gas or the RAV4 hybrid, so my guess is that it will be priced at 29K in FWD form which puts its at a premium over the RAV4 gasser

It will be interesting to see where the pricing is positioned for this new Toyota EV. It will weight a full 600lbs more than the current hybrid awd limited. RAV4 prime will also weight less and will have 100 more horses. The performance for the gas and the EV will be same

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-02-21 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Compare like and like and the results speak for themselves- range and power of the bZ4X lags far behind an equivalent Model Y, whose battery is pretty much the same size as the Toyota's (75 vs 71.4 kWH).
Actually, their efficiency is pretty good, very close to the Model Y, that is a market leader, and better than models from VW, Ford, KIA. And it is lighter than everyone else, including Model Y. It has 6.6% smaller battery and it can go 9.2% less. FWD model is actually more efficient than Tesla Y AWD (Tesla Y RWD doesnt exist now in Europe). So if BZ4X had same battery as Model Y, it would have 540km range.

Mustang Mach-E RWD has 75kwh battery and 440km range, so essentially it is 25% less efficient than BZ4X, and it is not a lot faster either. 25% is huge difference.

Outside from power spec, it is really good first effort, especially if you dont compare it to Tesla in speed. Smaller maximum discharge rate for motors (1C for Toyota) makes battery last longer, this is why they can do 10 year, 90% warranty.

Not that I personally care at all, I like my Tesla's speed, and dont care about battery longevity.

Do some research on what is currently offered in EV world, you are posting a lot of stuff that is simply not true.
Old 11-02-21, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it is (front) floor that is being heated, something that has been in development for a while, it should save around 20% of energy needed to heat the cabin. This kind of stuff is super exciting because winter range loss is huge with all EVs right now, even Tesla with heat pump. Sure, this will probably go into all EVs in 3-4 years.
Old 11-02-21, 05:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

also, it will not cost $29k, it will cost more than PHEV.
Old 11-02-21, 05:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

also, it will not cost $29k, it will cost more than PHEV.
‘There is no way a FWD 201hp Toyota EV will be more MSRP than a Rav4 300hp plug in hybrid that offers superior performance

it is (front) floor that is being heated, something that has been in development for a while, it should save around 20% of energy needed to heat the cabin. This kind of stuff is super exciting because winter range loss is huge with all EVs right now, even Tesla with heat pump. Sure, this will probably go into all EVs in 3-4 years.
Toyota doesn’t even use the word floor in their press release

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-02-21 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

‘There is no way a FWD 201hp Toyota EV will be more MSRP than a Rav4 300hp plug in hybrid that offers superior performance
Yes way.

Since when is 0-60 measure of price?
Old 11-02-21, 06:04 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

...in a Toyota hybrid running tiny motors part-time...
You obviously don't know how these eCVTs work.

...and motors at least 3-4 times as powerful...
Ehh... Anyways, ditto.

Compare like and like and the results speak for themselves- range and power of the bZ4X lags far behind an equivalent Model Y, whose battery is pretty much the same size as the Toyota's (75 vs 71.4 kWH).
I don't see how you can compare like for like when we don't have EPA range numbers, cross section, drag coefficient or anything of the likes.

The one advantage a bZ4X would have is the instantaneous torque due to being an EV, but horsepower is horsepower, and 200 HP is very noticeable in a 4500 pound vehicle in anywhere that isn't a traffic-heavy city.
https://ev-database.org/cheatsheet/a...n-electric-car

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra