Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 09:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra

Subaru has released the first official details about the electric crossover it's developing jointly with Toyota. About the size of a RAV4, the EV will be called Solterra when it goes on sale in select markets halfway through 2022.

Solterra blends the words sol and terra, which mean sun and earth, respectively, in Latin. Subaru chose this name "to appreciate mother nature and further advance the form of coexistence with it," and to stress that going electric isn't an excuse to shift away from the off-road capability and the ruggedness it's known for. We doubt the Solterra will arrive as a hardcore off-roader, but it should be more comfortable off the pavement than the average crossover.

Subaru released a pair of preview images to give us an early look at the model. One shows the emblems the firm will put on the crossover's rear hatch, including an "EV" badge that announces the zero-local-emissions drivetrain. More revealing, the second shows the outline of a soft-roader with what looks like a relatively tall and sharp front end, angular headlights with LED accents, and a surprisingly rakish C-pillar. Finer design details (like the grille) are intentionally hidden, but we can already see a strong family resemblance will link the Solterra to Toyota's BZ4X.

Both crossovers are being designed jointly by Subaru and Toyota, and they'll ride on a modular platform also developed by the two partners. It's reasonable to assume they'll be made in the same factory, too.

Neither company has released technical information, so figures such as range, horsepower, acceleration, and charging times are under wraps. All we know is that all-wheel drive (through-the-road, presumably) will be available.

More details about the Subaru Solterra will emerge in the next few months. We're expecting the EV will make its full debut before the end of 2021, and it will begin arriving in showrooms in the summer of 2022, likely as a 2023 model. America is one of its target markets, but pricing information won't be announced until closer to its on-sale date.
Source
Old 05-11-21, 09:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this thread going to get shut down too since there aren't "details" to speak of?

Really great to see more and more mainstream EVs come to market.
Old 05-11-21, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

The Solterra and bZ4X look very close to production. I'm very curious if the Subaru version will be only AWD or offer a FWD/RWD base model

Old 08-31-21, 09:44 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2023 Subaru Solterra EV teased

Source
Old 08-31-21, 09:52 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Looks like a clone of the Toyota, ala BRZ/GR 86
Old 08-31-21, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

subaru interior looks WORLDS better than toyota's.
Old 08-31-21, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Looks the same to me

Old 08-31-21, 01:30 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
subaru interior looks WORLDS better than toyota's.
it’s the same interior lol 😀
Old 08-31-21, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Toyota is the smartest person in the room, let the EV market settle. Then, bring out your first electric vehicle and use three different brands that sell it. Price it in the heart of the market. And have alternatives like a RAV4 prime, or a RAV4 hybrid, and then I have other alternatives like a Highlander Highlander hybrid, and an upcoming Highlander prime. Very smart thinking

The marketing machine at full stride

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Solterra and bZ4X look very close to production. I'm very curious if the Subaru version will be only AWD or offer a FWD/RWD base model
Symmetrical all-wheel-drive only

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-31-21 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 02:42 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Toyota is the smartest person in the room, let the EV market settle. Then, bring out your first electric vehicle and use three different brands that sell it. Price it in the heart of the market. And have alternatives like a RAV4 prime, or a RAV4 hybrid, and then I have other alternatives like a Highlander Highlander hybrid, and an upcoming Highlander prime. Very smart thinking
Please explain to my feeble brain what that means.....

I prefer the exterior of the Yota! Can't wait to drive one.
Old 08-31-21, 03:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

As expected, it looks terrible inside and out unfortunately. We are all waiting for the most important stuff, range, cost, and power. I'm praying it won't be D.O.A. like Mazda's new EV, but something tells me it will.
Old 08-31-21, 05:52 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
As expected, it looks terrible inside and out unfortunately. We are all waiting for the most important stuff, range, cost, and power. I'm praying it won't be D.O.A. like Mazda's new EV, but something tells me it will.
Even the much maligned UX300e was already worlds better than the head-scratcher that is the MX-30; so one would hope a dedicated EV platform would produce better specs than Toyota's last attempt at an EV.

I think the ID.4 laid the foundation of what the general specs and pricing range of these upcoming EVs will be like (Solterra, b4ZX, Nissan's Ariya et al), so I would be very surprised if they differ too much. The biggest question would be, can they get the battery supply to produce enough to meet the demand?
Old 08-31-21, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
it’s the same interior lol 😀
i guess subaru just has a better photographer / graphic artist.
Old 08-31-21, 10:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Truly out of names. Solara + Xterra = Solterra. Weak effort.

Old 09-01-21, 09:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Another boring SUV - how exciting?!

Why do all these companies think that EV vehicles need to be wacky/ugly designs.

The Model S/X and Taycan are the only EVs that actually look great to me.

Quick Reply: Toyota bZ4X and Subaru Solterra