Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to replace my hellcat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 11:17 PM
slm9s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace my hellcat?

Hello car enthusiasts. I'm a car-lover. Previous cars '03 Audi RS6, '06 GTO, '15 Challenger Hellcat.

I owned my Hellcat for 2.5 years and just sold it as prices are so high that I got paid several thousand to drive it for that time. Loved the acceleration, supercharger whine, "sleeper" looks, manual transmission, a little bit of luxury (heated steering wheel/etc), and it was totally reliable. I didn't like that it was just a REALLY big heavy car, the hood seems like its ten feet long. It had a custom exhaust that had a LOUD drone at 1600-1800 RPMs.

I'm not in a hurry to replace it, I'll wait a year or two or until prices come down. What I want:

Quickness, speed, and handling. I like the muscle car aspect more than the handling aspect, but I'd love to have both.
A smaller car
Manual trans
I'd like to have at least a tiny backseat - transport kids rarely, but possibly not a deal breaker
Reliability

My budget: anywhere from $20k - $50k
My list: (used)
Mustang - probably a GT perf pack, maybe a gt350
Camaro - not sold on looks/visibility, great performance
911 - I'm 6'5, not sure how I'd fit. I've always loved the looks. I'd probably want a turbo or S
Others: ATS-v, M3, or ?

Any other thoughts/cars I'm overlooking?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-21, 11:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Here some Manual great handling sports cars:

Corvette C6 or C7

911 - for less than $50k, you need to go to 996 / 997 generation or high mileage 991.

Cayman / Boxster - great value compared to 911 and offer amazing driving experience.

E46 / E92 M3 or F82 M4

Upcoming Nissan Z or BRZ/GT86
Old 05-17-21, 11:49 PM
LX5280
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been thinking about exactly the same car, a fun manual with a rear seat.
Some others you didn't mention are the new 2021 Mustang Mach1 which starts at about $50 but if you're waiting a year will be some depreciation, especially on a first year model. I'm a big fan of the GT350 and they're using some parts from the 350 on the Mach1, like using the Tremec 6-speed manual instead of the Getrag.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-mach-1-drive/

You mention the ATS-V which I'm also a fan of and with the new CT4-V Blackwing, improved ATS-V, coming out soon it will be very interesting to see and drive. The manual is standard
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...wing-revealed/

And the last one would be the new VW Golf R, I've never owned a VW or had much interest in them, but this sounds really nice, AWD, 6-speed and 315HP - https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-r

Old 05-18-21, 12:54 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

why sell the hellcat? v8 will be rare in ~10 years.
Old 05-18-21, 12:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

M2 competition. Such a great drivers car and useable back seats too.
Old 05-18-21, 06:08 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Speaking of the Mach1.. here's a comparison between the Mach1 and the RCF Track Edition. Vid published just a few days ago. They both seem to like the Mach1 just a little bit more than the RCF TE.

Old 05-18-21, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Here some Manual great handling sports cars:

Corvette C6 or C7

911 - for less than $50k, you need to go to 996 / 997 generation or high mileage 991.

Cayman / Boxster - great value compared to 911 and offer amazing driving experience.

E46 / E92 M3 or F82 M4

Upcoming Nissan Z or BRZ/GT86

Some of those vehicles are out because they are 2-seaters......the OP said that at least a minimal back seat is required.
Old 05-18-21, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slm9s
Others: ATS-v, M3, or ?
Wouldn't necessarily recommend an ATS-V or M3. The ATS-V had an extremely firm suspension and is quite uncomfortable, and BMWs can turn into money-pits as they age.

Any other thoughts/cars I'm overlooking?
Thanks in advance.
Although it may be difficult to find a good sample, have you considered a Lexus IS-F?
Old 05-18-21, 08:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wouldn't necessarily recommend an ATS-V or M3. The ATS-V had an extremely firm suspension and is quite uncomfortable, and BMWs can turn into money-pits as they age.Although it may be difficult to find a good sample, have you considered a Lexus IS-F?
He wants manual tranny. None of the Lexus F cars have that unfortunately
Old 05-18-21, 08:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it may be difficult to find a good sample, have you considered a Lexus IS-F?
This doesn't fit with the manual transmission requirement of the OP.
Old 05-18-21, 08:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A GT350 will definitely be a step in the right direction of balancing traditional muscle car/handling. Lovely sounding engine as well.

Others have also mentioned the M2 Comp and M3/4's which, with your budget range, it should be easy to find a recent one with good history and maintenance that should be reliable.

How long do you expect to keep this one and how many miles are you putting on per year?
Old 05-18-21, 09:33 AM
slm9s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I usually keep my fun cars 5-8 years, only sold the hellcat as I was offered a lot more than I had paid for it.

I put less than 5000 miles per year on them. Only about 1000 year year on the hellcat.

I'm worried about maintenance costs on euro cars. Audi RS6 left a bad taste in my mouth in that regard. Are porsches as bad as audi/bmw/mercedes? I know routine maintenance is spendy, but aren't they more reliable? Tough question to answer I know...

I wish the GT350 was a little more about power and a little less about handling.

Can anyone speak to the manual CTS-V? I just don't love the 2 door from a few years back, and I'm not sure I want a sedan. Though the Chevy SS seems like a great sleeper fun car.
Old 05-18-21, 09:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

GT350 is similar to Hellcat though with long front hood and just feels like a big car. It’s definitely capable but its not something that is light /nimble like a 911 or even M2/3/4. You also sit very high instead of being part of the cabin like in a true sports car.

I test drove several GT350s and they are great cars in terms of looks, sound and performance but they do have negatives when it comes to size, driving position and fit/finish.
Old 05-18-21, 09:43 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the responses.

I usually keep my fun cars 5-8 years, only sold the hellcat as I was offered a lot more than I had paid for it.

I put less than 5000 miles per year on them. Only about 1000 year year on the hellcat.

I'm worried about maintenance costs on euro cars. Audi RS6 left a bad taste in my mouth in that regard. Are porsches as bad as audi/bmw/mercedes? I know routine maintenance is spendy, but aren't they more reliable? Tough question to answer I know...

I wish the GT350 was a little more about power and a little less about handling.

Can anyone speak to the manual CTS-V? I just don't love the 2 door from a few years back, and I'm not sure I want a sedan. Though the Chevy SS seems like a great sleeper fun car.
If your budget is $50k and you’re looking for power then you need 911 Turbo from 996 generation.
They are reliable to an extent but you will be spending a lot on maintenance.
Base and S 911 that now come with the flat 6 turbo are well over $50k especially if you want a manual. These cars can be tuned to make significant power.

M2/M4 with S55 engine are extremely reliable and you can make a ton more power with flash tune for very little $$$. The aftermarket options are endless when it come to making power.
Old 05-18-21, 11:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

in first...

get a used tesla model 3.
+ it will probably be faster than your hellcat and handling isn't a high selling point
- not a stick shift, no gears at all.
+ 4 doors, usable back seat
+ reliable

Quick Reply: What to replace my hellcat?