Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Catalytic converter theft up 3,800%

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 12:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Verndog08
Yes but that will cost you the comprehensive deductible which for many is $500-$1000

Beyond that, the Prius is on back order (not available) because so many are getting stolen, and that means a rental car for possibly months.
Right, but I'm not talking about just a Prius. I am 95% certain there was a thread where an LS430 needed cats and the cost was $3200...

$500 is better than $1500. Like I said, any decent insurance company isn't going to screw you on rates because some a$$hole stole a part of your car. Remember, this is what you pay them for. Raise holy hell if you have to.

Luckily I had my deductible at $250 when I wrecked my 430 in the driveway. Needed whole new rear bumper, park sensors, paint match, the works. It was a $3500 job IIRC. I paid $250 and my insurance didn't go up a penny. I have Safeco. They're great, I have an insurance agent I just email for whatever I need, we're on a first name basis. Never any 800 numbers to deal with if you don't want to, etc.
Old 05-21-21, 01:19 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I deleted a post encouraging insurance fraud, as well as several responses. The thread topic is actual theft of catalytic converters. Keep it on track or it will be closed.
Old 05-21-21, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Right, but I'm not talking about just a Prius. I am 95% certain there was a thread where an LS430 needed cats and the cost was $3200...

$500 is better than $1500. Like I said, any decent insurance company isn't going to screw you on rates because some a$$hole stole a part of your car. Remember, this is what you pay them for. Raise holy hell if you have to.

Luckily I had my deductible at $250 when I wrecked my 430 in the driveway. Needed whole new rear bumper, park sensors, paint match, the works. It was a $3500 job IIRC. I paid $250 and my insurance didn't go up a penny. I have Safeco. They're great, I have an insurance agent I just email for whatever I need, we're on a first name basis. Never any 800 numbers to deal with if you don't want to, etc.
‘I think your LS has 3 cats. My 04 4R has four cats. Not sure about my new V6 4R. Your LX has 4 cats as well
Old 05-23-21, 09:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Easiest way to stop this bs is to come down HARD on the scrap metal yards/recycling companies. Require the scrap yards to check the person's ID, get their name, date of birth, address, and social security number off the card on every transaction. I know here in TN the government REALLY cracked the ruler on the knuckles of those that own scrap yards/metal recycling facilities, enforced such rules as mentioned above and required total transparency with law enforcement. This tightening of the rules came 15-20 years ago when the price of copper went way up and crack heads started stealing people's air conditioners.
Old 05-24-21, 10:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 05-24-21, 12:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is why you have the right to bear arms. I think I would have just slashed their tires and run calling the police to get get there ASAP. Can't go far without air in tires
Old 05-24-21, 12:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is why you have the right to bear arms. I think I would have just slashed their tires and run calling the police to get get there ASAP. Can't go far without air in tires
Not necessary a smart decision, pulling a firearm on them will likely land you in jail.
Old 05-24-21, 12:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessary a smart decision, pulling a firearm on them will likely land you in jail.
In California, if the guy comes at me with a blowtorch, I can use my gun. Every state will vary though. I'd be so mad if someone tried to steal cats off my car in my driveway, my first reaction would be to start breaking their windows with my bat or something. Those criminals were a little stupid...you never know who starts shooting you when you don't even leave the scene of the crime.
Old 05-24-21, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
In California, if the guy comes at me with a blowtorch, I can use my gun. Every state will vary though. I'd be so mad if someone tried to steal cats off my car in my driveway, my first reaction would be to start breaking their windows with my bat or something. Those criminals were a little stupid...you never know who starts shooting you when you don't even leave the scene of the crime.
If someone was stealing your cats. Would pull your gun and confront or call the police?
Old 05-24-21, 01:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If someone was stealing your cats. Would pull your gun and confront or call the police?
Honestly, I'd call the police first and then confront. My car is parked in my driveway so they are trespassing on my property. My father was military and in the war so he was pretty comfortable around firearms. I have no issue with right to bear arms
Old 05-24-21, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, I'd call the police first and then confront. My car is parked in my driveway so they are trespassing on my property. My father was military and in the war so he was pretty comfortable around firearms. I have no issue with right to bear arms
(I have no idea about the law). If someone were on your property stealing your catalytic converter’s, could you legally approach with your weapon drawn towards them? Any smart thief or just run away
Old 05-24-21, 01:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
(I have no idea about the law). If someone were on your property stealing your catalytic converter’s, could you legally approach with your weapon drawn towards them? Any smart thief or just run away
Did you see the video? They weren't so smart and they kept trying to steal it with a ton of witnesses. lol. They also threatened the person filming with a blowtorch. I'm not licensed to carry but you can have a gun on your property for protection and if they were on my property stealing my cats, you bet I would have my gun drawn and telling them to leave or risk getting shot and if they twitched wrong, I would protect myself and lawyer up.
Old 05-24-21, 02:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

I think the first thing I'd do would be to run up and twist the jack handle to let the car down.
Old 05-24-21, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Did you see the video? They weren't so smart and they kept trying to steal it with a ton of witnesses. lol. They also threatened the person filming with a blowtorch. I'm not licensed to carry but you can have a gun on your property for protection and if they were on my property stealing my cats, you bet I would have my gun drawn and telling them to leave or risk getting shot and if they twitched wrong, I would protect myself and lawyer up.
Haven’t watched. Just watching some comments. Always been in interested in the law. I just figure that if somebody is even stealing something from someone, and you pull a gun on them pointed at them. I figured that would be illegal but I have no idea
Old 05-24-21, 02:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think the first thing I'd do would be to run up and twist the jack handle to let the car down.
hahaha. that would be brutal for the guy underneath. Would you drive off?

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter theft up 3,800%